Pfister Supercup (Squirrel)

Skorpion

@Squirrel pretty sure it's Z that tapped you at 20:14. I go round you both after the collision iirc, gonna upload my vid tonight to confirm what I saw. Z's vid might clarify it for us. Like DJ says there were a lot more bumps and bangs as you move further down the pack.

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirrel

• JuniorChubb

• Realjaysee

• Potato

21 minutes ago, djw180 said:

It's almost impossible to hear horns above the sound of the chat. Don't assume the back markers hear your horn and know you are there. There's no mirrors and we can't be looking at the mini map all the time. The leaders have to give the people they're lapping plenty of room and make passes in sensible places. The reason we're at the back is because we're not getting all the racing lines and braking points right so we may not be taking a corner the same way you would. I was taken out by someone (not you) lapping me on a corner just before a straight. Had they waited for the straight I could have moved over and eased off once I knew they were there.

Totally agree. Didn't know they were coming until they were right on my ass, and there wasn't any horns.

It's quite common for the quickest guys to think everyone will move out of their way and abandon what they're doing, like the parting of the Red Sea.

In pretty much all games it's the same, it's a state of mind :)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

@Squirrel pretty sure it's Z that tapped you at 20:14. I go round you both after the collision iirc, gonna upload my vid tonight to confirm what I saw. Z's vid might clarify it for us. Like DJ says there were a lot more bumps and bangs as you move further down the pack.

Nope, I was behind you at the time of the accident. It's actually an Auto Exotic car that gave Squirrel a love bump in the rear causing him to spin out.

My PoV, pretty good view of it all:

• Like 2

So the contact was originally made by @XuTek6651 who waited and gave the place back. Don't think he would have seen the secondary impact afterwards. The places worked themselves out on the next corner.

If i see your video @zmurko, i understand your frustration about the leaders curb boosting. If you check my video earlier in this thread, you see that squirrel said that this kind of curb boosting is okay. Cant clearly watch the video you posted, im on my cell phone atm, so i cant really see if its the same kind of curb boosting as in my video. 

Problem here is, there are three kind of groups : some people are racing on the limit, hitting the curbs in every corner, some people (like you) try not to touch one single curb during the whole race, and some people are somewhere in between...

Edited by Jc10110
  • Like 1

Question on curb boosting, Do you get the boost when your tires are on the red/white curbs or do you have to get your tires to the outside of the curb?

Just now, Beez said:

Question on curb boosting, Do you get the boost when your tires are on the red/white curbs or do you have to get your tires to the outside of the curb?

I think both bit im not sure. 

@Squirrel, i think there is only one way of getting the curb boosting discussion sorted out : a video of a track that has all kind of turns (i think catalunya could be good for it) and for each corner an "allowed" and "not allowed" part.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Realjaysee said:

I think both bit im not sure. 

@Squirrel, i think there is only one way of getting the curb boosting discussion sorted out : a video of a track that has all kind of turns (i think catalunya could be good for it) and for each corner an "allowed" and "not allowed" part.

This will definitely help. I'll look at making one for Monaco to make sure it is clear.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Realjaysee said:

If i see your video @zmurko, i understand your frustration about the leaders curb boosting. If you check my video earlier in this thread, you see that squirrel said that this kind of curb boosting is okay. Cant clearly watch the video you posted, im on my cell phone atm, so i cant really see if its the same kind of curb boosting as in my video. 

Problem here is, there are three kind of groups : some people are racing on the limit, hitting the curbs in every corner, some people (like you) try not to touch one single curb during the whole race, and some people are somewhere in between...

There's actually a fourth, and this is also what you see a few times in the vid:

For example the straights here; You go to the left a bit, hit the curb with your left tires, and get the boost. Just one boost. If you move to the left a bit more, you hit the curb with your right tires as well and again with your left tires when re-entering the track, giving you three boosts. This is what I would consider as illegal curb-surfing.

These tracks aren't difficult, they're flat so there is less chance of an error that you might see in a land race, please don't try to tell me that racing on the limit and going from kerb to kerb is the same thing. 

Edited by Crawford1872

I know Squirrel is in difficult position and any decision he makes regarding kerb boosting will still leave it open for interpretation.

In my opinion there's only 2 ways to deal with it, 1. anything goes, kerb boost all you want, cut corners etc...  (though to be fair, weaving in racing is a big no no, you should still hold your line) or 2. put very strict rules on it, meaning no kerb touching at all, stay within white lines at all times, treating rumble strips as walls basically.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sagrawa said:

There's actually a fourth, and this is also what you see a few times in the vid:

For example the straights here; You go to the left a bit, hit the curb with your left tires, and get the boost. Just one boost. If you move to the left a bit more, you hit the curb with your right tires as well and again with your left tires when re-entering the track, giving you three boosts. This is what I would consider as illegal curb-surfing.

Yeah, sounds fair, but if you allow one boost, people will accidentally get the three boosts 50% of the time. 

Imo, everything should be allowed except going left-right-left on a straight and staying on curbs too long. Just to avoid discussions, as its difficult to determine if its intentionally or not, especially with 15-30 players on the track. It's what they do in F1 this year. They allow more (in terms of contact) to avoid discussions. And in other race games you also get on and over the curbs. 

Edit : I think thats what @zmurko just said :)

The possibility of curb boosting can also be reduced by a tactical placement of the checkpoints. (I think all the tracks are created by someone on this forum?)

Edited by Jc10110
  • Like 1

I will be making a video later today for the next track which should clear up what is allowed and what isn't. Asking people to avoid the kerbs completely is unrealistic on these tracks as they form the natural racing line. It's the seeking out of the kerbs on straights and weaving which is what we are looking to avoid. 

I know a lot of you automatically seek out the kerbs as it's habit in competitive racing. We have a mixed field of racers here. If you're a quick driver your performances shouldn't be affected greatly if you're avoiding the kerbs on the straights. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

I will be making a video later today for the next track which should clear up what is allowed and what isn't. Asking people to avoid the kerbs completely is unrealistic on these tracks as they form the natural racing line. It's the seeking out of the kerbs on straights and weaving which is what we are looking to avoid. 

I know a lot of you automatically seek out the kerbs as it's habit in competitive racing. We have a mixed field of racers here. If you're a quick driver your performances shouldn't be affected greatly if you're avoiding the kerbs on the straights. 

But you can seek out the kerb coming out of a corner and glide past others down the straights.

Someone was complaining about it last night.

10 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

But you can seek out the kerb coming out of a corner and glide past others down the straights.

Someone was complaining about it last night.

Yeah last night in the chat it was put down to short shifting, which only really makes any difference when the car is going over bumps anyways, using short shifting without any bumps affecting the car makes as near as no difference so it kinda shows you they were doing it considerably beyond what anyone else was

The kerb issues will never be completely solved/gone unless the track is built to prevent it IMO.

But either way I must say that I never thought I would enjoy this type of racing like I did last night, every battle was great and I had fun. I could have kerbed more and i could have kerbed less, but I just had to accept that i will not win this race and sit back and enjoy. I am really looking forward to next round!

Did everyone notice the fine print as they took part in last nights racing?

You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews. You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews.You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews.You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews.You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews.You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews.You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews.You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews.You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews.You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews.You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews.You need to sign up for Clash of the Crews.

By participating in this racing event I promise to sign up to Clash of the Crews - Season 2

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zmurko said:

Nope, I was behind you at the time of the accident. It's actually an Auto Exotic car that gave Squirrel a love bump in the rear causing him to spin out.

My PoV, pretty good view of it all:

Cheers for clearing it up Z, apologies for fingering you :)

I would hopefully have seen it clearer when I checked my own footage tonight, which will be uploaded soon enough.

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

Save the surfing for dirty randoms and crap R* stunt races. 

Best driver wins in a friendly competition, simple as that. 

• Like 3

I've got a few points to make here:

firstly, when I lapped @Squirrel it looks like a bad manoeuvre from his POV, and from his POV it looks like he didn't know I was there. However from my POV I was alongside him down the straight and bibbed my horn about 5 times to let him know I was there. You can barely hear my horn on his video, so I completely agree that using a horn to let people know you're there is not adequate. However, I told some people on mic that I was there and they still didn't let me past, so by the time I got to squirrel I just didn't bother saying anything. And I almost rear ended someone on the first chicane as they lifted off, which I didn't expect.

Only 2 people actually let me through (beez and trashbags) and the others I had to really concentrate to overtake, doesn't really bother me because it was a pretty lonely race for me, but if you're battling for position up front it could be an issue.

Also with regards to kerb boosting, I thought you only got the boost if you go completely over the other side of the kerb, and not on the red and white stripes (hence why you DON'T go faster when you go over the rumble strips alongside the highways).

Overall I think people need to be aware of their surroundings more, I play with the camera settings furthest away from the car, just so I can see what's going on alongside me and also check the minimal or look behind me on every straight.

Edited by Potato
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fido_le_muet said:

My POV of the race :

I like the cheeky overtake on me when I was giving best racer his place back ?

3 hours ago, Crawford1872 said:

Yeah last night in the chat it was put down to short shifting, which only really makes any difference when the car is going over bumps anyways, using short shifting without any bumps affecting the car makes as near as no difference so it kinda shows you they were doing it considerably beyond what anyone else was

I don't think short shifting makes a difference on whether you're going over bumps or not, hence how Acdc got a ridiculous start. And if they are short shifting then fair enough

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Potato said:

I don't think short shifting makes a difference on whether you're going over bumps or not, hence how Acdc got a ridiculous start. And if they are short shifting then fair enough

Kerb boosting is something we can monitor and police. Short shifting is just going to have to be a skill we'll have to learn to be able to compete. If @acdc_sw and @BRacer have any videos for us to watch to help us with that technique it will make the racing far more competitive throughout the field.

• Like 1