Pfister Supercup (Squirrel)

Skorpion

12 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Kerb boosting is something we can monitor and police. Short shifting is just going to have to be a skill we'll have to learn to be able to compete. If @acdc_sw and @BRacer have any videos for us to watch to help us with that technique it will make the racing far more competitive throughout the field.

I'm happy to hold my hands up and admit they're better than me ?

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirrel

• JuniorChubb

• Realjaysee

• Potato

17 hours ago, zmurko said:

Was this @XuTek6651 making a mistake on the last corner just before we DNFed? This one could be tricky to call the finishing positions there

Reveal hidden contents

yeah xD was as annoyed of the kerbs since i rly tried hard not to do so!..

so i was just too fast and didnt care anymore haha

Couple of things about lapping and being a lapper. At motorcycle track days (and maybe car ones too) the rule is to hold your line and it's the faster rider's job to get around you. And at those non-competitive events the passing is always done on the outside. At races that have a track crew, motocross comes to mind, they wave a blue flag when the leaders are coming through and that lets the lappers know to 1) hold their line or 2) move out of the racing line if possible and safe. 

GTA does not have corner workers or blue flags but we do have the mini map, mics and horns. Use those to let me (and other lappers) know you're coming but also expect us to hold the racing line unless it's a straight and you give ample warning. We are locked in our own battles and don't want to lose pace. I was trying all race to get in a points paying position, and I got there a couple time but then lost it. I also use my rear view when I can and would never hold a leader up intentionally, not my battle. 

Sincerely,

a lapper :D

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

And about the curb boosting debate, this is my opinion :

1Ym0I4m.jpg

if u rly go side by side then even this speeds u up little.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beez said:

Couple of things about lapping and being a lapper. At motorcycle track days (and maybe car ones too) the rule is to hold your line and it's the faster rider's job to get around you. And at those non-competitive events the passing is always done on the outside. At races that have a track crew, motocross comes to mind, they wave a blue flag when the leaders are coming through and that lets the lappers know to 1) hold their line or 2) move out of the racing line if possible and safe. 

GTA does not have corner workers or blue flags but we do have the mini map, mics and horns. Use those to let me (and other lappers) know you're coming but also expect us to hold the racing line unless it's a straight and you give ample warning. We are locked in our own battles and don't want to lose pace. I was trying all race to get in a points paying position, and I got there a couple time but then lost it. I also use my rear view when I can and would never hold a leader up intentionally, not my battle. 

Sincerely,

a lapper :D

i think like u its the overaker to have the challenge, but on the other hand i gotta say, that if im rly making a mistake and i see that the one behind me got out the corner faster, i let him pass!

had some battles with @Squirrel

and also let him pass when i got out the corner bad.

but yeah lookingb arlund is the most important part

1 hour ago, Potato said:

Overall I think people need to be aware of their surroundings more, I play with the camera settings furthest away from the car, just so I can see what's going on alongside me and also check the minimal or look behind me on every straight.

Despite being guilty of this myself I have to agree. It is a lot to ask from your average racer but something we should all try to consider.

You caught me by surprise when you lapped me, out of nowhere but I am sure if I was more observant I would have noticed the red dot chasing me down. I am pretty sure you didn't miss me calling you a git when you did lap me though :lol:

• Like 1

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

25 minutes ago, XuTek6651 said:

if u rly go side by side then even this speeds u up little.

Yeah but only slightly. My point is that you're still on track if you have 2 wheels on the red/white kerb.

I don't think it's a big advantage if everyone agrees that this is the limit of what's acceptable.

I'm happy with whatever decision we come up with, as long as we don't allow full curb surfing. Either 2 wheels on the curb or none at all.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Potato said:

I'm happy to hold my hands up and admit they're better than me ?

Probably me anaw but not 3 seconds a lap around flat stunt props a lap better than either of us

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

Despite being guilty of this myself I have to agree. It is a lot to ask from your average racer but something we should all try to consider.

You caught me by surprise when you lapped me, out of nowhere but I am sure if I was more observant I would have noticed the red dot chasing me down. I am pretty sure you didn't miss me calling you a git when you did lap me though :lol:

I don't think I actually heard that Chubb ?

But I only lapped you in the place I did because you ran wide so you only have yourself to blame ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Potato said:

I don't think I actually heard that Chubb ?

But I only lapped you in the place I did because you ran wide so you only have yourself to blame ?

Dude, I was letting you pass me, add me to that list with Beez and Trash ;) 

What happened with Trash anyway? Ally said rockstar had missed a checkpoint for him but saw him well out of position later on.

13 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Yeah but only slightly. My point is that you're still on track if you have 2 wheels on the red/white kerb.

I don't think it's a big advantage if everyone agrees that this is the limit of what's acceptable.

I'm happy with whatever decision we come up with, as long as we don't allow full curb surfing. Either 2 wheels on the curb or none at all.

i dont rly think its important xD

im fine with that as well but even going over it happens.  u see the difference to intention

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

What happened with Trash anyway? Ally said rockstar had missed a checkpoint for him but saw him well out of position later on.

Trash has checkpoint issues, the chat on the night suggested a checkpoint didnt register.. he said he was still hitting checkpoints and not getting a wrong way message...

Two possibilities IMO:

1: A Rockstar cock up, somehow his one checkpoint glitched out and his whole race was buggered because of it even though he was hitting the othe CP's

2: He missed a checkpoint but did not notice, done a full lap and picked up hitting CP's on the next lap none the wiser.

I am inclined to rule out number 2 as he would have got a Wrong Way message at some point. Trash is as honest as they come and would not try to take advantage of the situation, if he got a Wrong Way warning he would have said so.

Just promoting this Sunday's endurance race here amongst the Supercup participants, everyone is welcome to join. I hope you don't mind @Squirrel. :)

Sunday 21st of May at 7 PM GMT (8 PM UK time). Details:

Also, could someone spam the link above to the Regular racers PSN group message and invite others as well. I'm staying away from my PS4 today, since I've played too much over the last few days. Perhaps @Squirrel, @starmonkeykiller, @Crawford1872 or @JuniorChubb? Thank you! :D

• Like 1

Sorted ;)

Here is my footage from the night, not very exciting but its for the archives :)

Edited by JuniorChubb
Add video
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Beez said:

Agree with this, except that it seems car horns can not usually be heard above background chat. If someone does not have a mic then they can't rely on horns and need to be extra carfeul getting through the back markers.

I'd also like to say this to the leading racers.

Lapped cars slow you down. That's part of racing. You should not expect to maintain the same lap times as you do in clear traffic. You need to bear in mind the differences between us. We don't get the brake points and racing lines right all the time. That's why we are being lapped. You should be prepared for us to brake earlier than expected or take a slower line round a corner, so give us room and don't attempt risky passes. If you do and cause a collision the same rules should apply as if you did it to overtake. Remember lag can be a factor as well. On our screen we may not be in the same place as on yours. You have the best view of what's going on. We can't always look behind us without risking losing control of the car. As a faster driver you should be able to easily pass us on a straight and that should be by far the safest place to pass as well.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, djw180 said:

Agree with this, except that it seems car horns can not usually be heard above background chat. If someone does not have a mic then they are can't rely on horns and need to be extra carfeul getting through the back markers.

I'd also like to say this to the leading racers.

Lapped cars slow you down. That's part of racing. You should not expect to maintain the same lap times as you do in clear traffic. You need to bear in mind the differences between us. We don't get the brake points and racing lines right all the time. That's why we are being lapped. You should be prepared for us to brake earlier than expected or take a slower line round a corner, so give us room and don't attempt risky passes. If you do and cause a collision the same rules should apply as if you did it to overtake. Remember lag can be a factor as well. On our screen we may not be in the same place as on yours. You have the best view of what's going on. We can't always look behind us without risking losing control of the car. As a faster driver you should be able to easiy pass us on a straight and that should be by far the safest place to pass as well.

Yeah, agree with that. I've just warned people for next time (i dont know how you people race so it's all new).

Obvious that lapped people slow you down, happens in real life too and faster people have to know the best point where to overtake. It's not like "get put of my way because you're a lapped", obviously. We must respect eachother even if we're better or not, because i may won the race, but i'm sure you're more experienced than me.

But i have my little part of experience too back to Gran Turismo 6 (GTExD clan, if you're curious go check it) that i'd like to show and improve.

So, all in all, i'm glad that there are people who knows about "real racing" term, that's what counts ;-D

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Kerb boosting is something we can monitor and police. Short shifting is just going to have to be a skill we'll have to learn to be able to compete. If @acdc_sw and @BRacer have any videos for us to watch to help us with that technique it will make the racing far more competitive throughout the field.

I used the double clutch at the start, I don't know what short shifting is.

9 minutes ago, acdc_sw said:

I used the double clutch at the start, I don't know what short shifting is.

Both terms are used for the same thing, although they are both wrongly used because there is no such thing irl as what you do in GTA.

Final results will be posted shortly. Before I post them I'll give you the stewards report.

There were three drivers reported to the stewards for using excessive kerb boosting. Those drivers were identified as ACDC, BRacer & Tremonius.

Those drivers will be issued warnings, it is the first race of the season and it does take time to adjust to new race rules and adjusting your racing style to suit. It would be unfair on the drivers involved to suffer penalties at this stage. 

A video will be created shortly highlighting what is classed as allowed use of the kerbs and what is considered to be excessive. There may have been others kerb boosting during the race but these were the only three drivers who were reported with video evidence backing it up.

A further clarification of the rules will be posted shortly. This is to ensure drivers try to keep at least two wheels on the track at all time to avoid the corner cutting and boost by having all four wheels on the kerbs. 

Kerb boosting and whats allowed and not allowed is a contentious subject and will be something which will be debated as long as the game physics allow it to happen. 

The next incident under review was ACDC passing DJW and causing him to be spun off track while being lapped. In the absence of video from ACDC's view we can only act on the footage provided. 

The difficulty with this decision is because DJ was being lapped, under normal circumstances if you collide with a car you can just let them retake the position and continue racing. The onus is on the car overtaking the lapped car to make a move safely rather than having the car being lapped move out of the way. Collisions do happen and even though AC couldn't let DJ take the place back he should have still slowed down to wait for DJ to rejoin or have at least issued an apology and recognition of fault over the incident. 

The action for this incident is again a warning. It's the first race of the season and it's a new experience for a lot of the drivers. Further incidents will have more severe action taken so please be careful while overtaking lapped cars.

The final incident asked for review by the stewards was some confusion over the final points positions. The time sheet showed Zmurko 13th, Xutek 14th, Paulie 15th and Squirrel 16th. Videos showed 15th and 16th were actually reversed on track. This is believed to be a Rockstar error as all four drivers were classed as DNF and subsequently did not have a race time. Even though Xutek crashed on the final corner and was far off course his car was still in between Zmurkos and Squirrels so his position will stand.

The stewards can only act on incidents which have video evidence. If you have an issue with anyone please have the video to back it up. It's also advisable to save your own video in case you are seen to be at fault. Your footage can show a different light to the same incident and lag could be a factor in a collision.  

There is a further point I do feel needs to be made. At the moment it seems that ACDC and BRacer are under a lot of scrutiny. This is perfectly understandable considering the lead they had over the rest of the field. This is the case in all racing events. If a team is far ahead of the rest, the chasing drivers will be wondering what they are doing differently and if it's within the rules. 

This is a new series and the rules will need to be adjusted as the series goes on. Certain things will need to be firmed up and reworded differently to make sure everyone is racing to the same interpretation of those rules.

If you have any questions my inbox is open.

• Like 6

Anyone can keep at least 2 wheels on the track and still boost the kerb with the other 2 wheels, or even 1 wheel, I'm not sure if you understand that or not. That rule will allow people to do exactly the same as in the last race. No doubt it's tough to find a 'perfect rule', I get that.

I don't think I or anyone else brought up the issues because we were far behind, I certainly don't care about winning that much and the people I've spoken to don't either, but simply because players exploiting the kerbs and rules was obvious and their own video's confirm it, let's not beat around the bush :)

I was skeptical about signing up because of the tracks (dislike stunt stuff). Don't be offended that I'm gonna leave the series, the idea and format is really great and the car is a nice challenge, but the boosting is bullshit and I expected it. Understand that my opinion is no reflection on the host and the guys that planned the series and I know you can't make everyone happy, I just don't enjoy that kinda racing.

I'll see you guys out there on the roads of Los Santos, good luck to all in this series :)

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 3

Really like how this is being handled Squirrel. Great stuff with the Stewarts. 

Just need a clarification about how much we can use the rumble strip (just the red and white part IMO) and everything should be just fine.

• Like 1

Sorry to see you go DC, I'll leave the spot open in Wiwang for now in case you change your mind later. 

56 minutes ago, Madden141 said:

Can I join globe oil team 

Yes you can, have you familiarised yourself with the rules of the championship?

52 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Really like how this is being handled Squirrel. Great stuff with the Stewarts. 

Just need a clarification about how much we can use the rumble strip (just the red and white part IMO) and everything should be just fine.

At least two wheels on track while cornering and certainly no curb use on the straights. I'll reword the rules to make sure everything is clear and update it shortly.

• Like 2