Pfister Supercup (Squirrel)

Skorpion

Looking forward to this Squirrel. Just me and Adsy in team Global Oil, so we can accomodate another if there is one.

Can the rules about not using the kerbs, and any other rules, be put in one of the first couple of posts so we don't have to go through the whole thread to find them?

I think you asked everyone to record the whole race. Can you, or someone else, tell me how to do that please? My PS4 is just set up to save the last 15 mins. I know it can be done by regularly saving during the race, but I tried that, and I will almost certainly crash the car if I do it.

And can you double check the start time, the first post and the countdown timer dissagree.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirrel

• JuniorChubb

• Realjaysee

• Potato

5 minutes ago, djw180 said:

Looking forward to this Squirrel. Just me and Adsy in team Global Oil, so we can accomodate another if there is one.

Can the rules about not using the kerbs, and any other rules, be put in one of the first couple of posts so we don't have to go through the whole thread to find them?

I think you asked everyone to record the whole race. Can you, or someone else, tell me how to do that please? My PS4 is just set up to save the last 15 mins. I know it can be done by regularly saving during the race, but I tried that, and I will almost certainly crash the car if I do it.

Press share, sharing and broadcast settings.

• Like 1

The qualifying race? Is it gonna be the actual lap times we set during the race then quickly sorting the order and calling a grid for the race? Or is it gonna be just a race where 20 people that can't see where they're trying to go drive round for a bit? 

4 hours ago, Crawford1872 said:

The qualifying race? Is it gonna be the actual lap times we set during the race then quickly sorting the order and calling a grid for the race? Or is it gonna be just a race where 20 people that can't see where they're trying to go drive round for a bit? 

3 laps race. Going on the track at regular intervals, with lap 2 being the flying lap.

We did that with Z's endurance race and it works.

• Like 1

I was going to host it as a 3 lap non contact race. Race finishing order will determine the grid. We are going to have up to 27 drivers on the grid. Trying to re order that based on fastest laps will be a nightmare in the time between races. 

With 27 people in the race, I'll be about 5 seconds behind the leaders before I even hit the 1st checkpoint.  That means I'll need to drive over 1.5 seconds a lap faster than say Fido, just to get near the front by the end of the race. :o

I know collating the lap times is a bit slow and clumsy, but it's the only fair way of doing it IMO.  Or we can do a reverse grid for the qualifying race.  :lol:

12 hours ago, djw180 said:

And can you double check the start time, the first post and the countdown timer dissagree.

Yes DJ, room for another in your team if anyone signs up to join late. Same with Tenshun and Auto Exotic. Only 3 spaces remain in the championship.

I will have something written up later today clarifying the kerb boosting rules.

The timer is out. It's based on the usual Monday Madness time. The qualifying and race will start at 22:00 BST. This means there is time for the usual late comers to be able to join in with the event. With qualifying and race the event should take around 45 minutes to complete. I would like as many people in the lobby early as possible.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, no_snacks said:

With 27 people in the race, I'll be about 5 seconds behind the leaders before I even hit the 1st checkpoint.  That means I'll need to drive over 1.5 seconds a lap faster than say Fido, just to get near the front by the end of the race. :o

I know collating the lap times is a bit slow and clumsy, but it's the only fair way of doing it IMO.  Or we can do a reverse grid for the qualifying race.  :lol:

To collate the times properly I'd need to have everyone back out and reassemble in a lobby while I calculate the starting grid, this would mean about 10-15 minutes between the qualifying and race once you allow for screenshots, typing up the results, reordering them based on time and then dealing with Rockstar cloud time while trying to get 27 drivers from multiple crews back into a race lobby.

If everyone is ok with that and prepared to risk losing connection doing so I can. I want to try and make things as simple as possible for both myself hosting and you guys taking part, the less input needed between races that needs to be done cuts down on the potential errors.

For the actual qualifying race if we base it on fastest laps, I wouldn't have a staggered start, too many drivers to organise and the lap times are too short on some of the races to have established gaps. There isn't a pitlane on all the tracks either to wait out of the way. Better to just run it as a normal 4 lap non-contact race. It will be up to each of the drivers to find a gap they are comfortable with on the first lap and then have 2 attempts at a flying lap. On the final lap they will have to slow down and wait on the line for the finishing drivers. 

I would prefer the staggered starts and lap time determining grid position but more than understand the logistics involved. I am happy to sit around and chat but I know this will just be a frustrating wait for others. Non contact and all going at the same time is the simplest way to go. The first chicane will be amusing though, ignore me if I start tripping out...

You could always finish the race on your own first Squirrel, hit the square button and get people's time as they finish then re-order quickest to slowest, if you have a spreadsheet ready just pop the times in as people finish. Still not as quick as a non contact race but a little quicker than us all finishing then doing the times.

Edited by JuniorChubb
  • Like 1

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

Just throwing another idea in (maybe you've thought of this and ruled it out for good reasons, but you never know). We could have everyone do the qualifying on their own at some point before the race and post a screenshot of the result. Then you'd be able to sort the grid in advance based on fastest laps or total time for a short fixed lap qualifying race. We'd have to trust people only make one attempt, but it would have all the qualifying done in advance. Anyone who does not post a time starts from the back.

• Like 1

Just finished a couple practice runs @DavidCore89.  Was getting fairly regular mid 1:23's to mid 1:24's.  Without using any curbs, my quickest lap was a 1:23.0??

yeah, same here, around 1:25, perhaps 1:24 on a good lap with no kerbs, except when cutting a couple of apexes.

I think general rule that would cover everything is to have 2 wheels inside the white line at all times, no weaving and get inside the white line with all 4 wheels on the straights as soon as possible.

I feel better with some mentions of 1:24's...

Hopefully we will get clarification on what is and isn't allowed regarding kerbs.

3 hours ago, djw180 said:

Just throwing another idea in (maybe you've thought of this and ruled it out for good reasons, but you never know). We could have everyone do the qualifying on their own at some point before the race and post a screenshot of the result. Then you'd be able to sort the grid in advance based on fastest laps or total time for a short fixed lap qualifying race. We'd have to trust people only make one attempt, but it would have all the qualifying done in advance. Anyone who does not post a time starts from the back.

I dont think that would work. There ar 27 players, so at least 10 of them would do some extra runs + there is no way to check if someone is corner cutting / cerb boosting.

I think best thing is a non contact race with everyone starting from the same spot

And yeah 1.21.xxx is nuts. I've done a good amount of practice runs. I once got a 1.22.5xx, and i am still wondering how i did that. 

Edited by Jc10110
  • Like 1

Just now, zmurko said:

Exceptions should always be allowed though, if you run too wide for example, or when avoiding contact with other cars. It just wouldnt be fair to actually do that deliberately on every corner or actually gain a position by doing it.

Watch out for me... do not mistake poor driving ability with trying to boost on every corner.

Such a shame this is an issue, the stunt props have added so much life into the game but those same props give you the chance to boost all the way round the track, it needs to be addressed by R* not by people hosting events. I just can't see that happening though.

Just now, Realjaysee said:

I dont think that would work. There ar 27 players, so at least 10 of them would do some extra runs + there is no way to check if someone is corner cutting / cerb boosting.

I think best thing is a non contact race with everyone starting from the same spot

There is the option of Squirrel running a few qualifying sessions a week. It would be a big commitment for Squirrel though...

16 minutes ago, zmurko said:

Exceptions should always be allowed though, if you run too wide for example, or when avoiding contact with other cars. It just wouldnt be fair to actually do that deliberately on every corner or actually gain a position by doing it.

Yeah, in the 2 corners before the long straight in the middle of the track + the chicane at the end, its very difficult to avoid cerb boosting if you're trying to get a good lap time

I've updated a post on the front page with some clarification of the rules. I will be making my decision on the qualifying procedure soon.

Nice work on the rules @Squirrel !

One more thing about cerb boosting that isnt clear to me : can you run extra wide on the exit of a corner? So you hit the cerbs but still got two wheels on the track? 

Pe. In the last corner of catalunia, you can easily stay with 4 wheels on the track, but if you take it less sharp you can hit the cerb and gain an advantage. (I am not talking about steering to the left in a right hand corner)

Just now, Realjaysee said:

Nice work on the rules @Squirrel !

One more thing about cerb boosting that isnt clear to me : can you run extra wide on the exit of a corner? So you hit the cerbs but still got two wheels on the track? 

Pe. In the last corner of catalunia, you can easily stay with 4 wheels on the track, but if you take it less sharp you can hit the cerb and gain an advantage. (I am not talking about steering to the left in a right hand corner)

Yeah I'll make that clearer in the rules. Exiting the corner is just as important as entry and it is fine using the kerbs to gain maximum speed while staying on track. Just make sure you get all four wheels on track as soon as momentum permits.

Racing+Line.png

• Like 2

Thx for clarification squirrel!

Btw : TLG Racing Team stopped caring about the leftover bolts and they officialy presented their cars to the public! 

Acdc and Bestracer will go for the points, I will make sure that, when children start crying because i crashed, they get access to our pit box and get a free TLG cap (people who watched F1 will get it ?)

1494856264345.jpg

Edited by Jc10110
  • Like 8

I think the best way to go is to launch a 3-4 lap non-contact race.

I also like the idea of having a spreadsheet ready that you can complete as soon as people are finished doing their laps (with SQUARE).

During doubleg's raceclub, we were going on track one by one with a 15-20 seconds gap between us. Worked fine but we weren't 27...

• Like 1

I've made a decision based on everyone's opinions and the most efficient and fair way of proceeding. 

The non-contact race idea, with a traditional race start the cars at the back will have a huge time deficit to make up compared to those starting at the front of the grid, having everyone start at the same spot will also cause problems with 27 cars trying to occupy the same space even when ghosted it will be difficult to hit braking points and apexes for those in the middle of the pack. 

The fairest way will be to have a warm up lap, 2 flying laps and finally a slow down lap. This will still be run as non-contact due to the amount of cars on track.

The suggestion of having myself finishing first and making notes of the lap times as drivers come in is the fairest and easiest way, I already have a spreadsheet set up for the championship, it won't be difficult to add a qualifying page. The down side of this method is the increased time taken between races. While I'm organising the data if @Fido_le_muet can open a fresh race lobby (set to GTA. Time to noon and the appropriate number of laps in the race details post) and start re-inviting people it should minimise the downtime between qualifying and race. I'm hoping the time taken will be about the same. This would have to happen anyway with the tracks where we don't have a qualifying copy. 

To clarify, the qualifying session will involve a warm up lap where cars can find a gap where they can gain as much clear track as they are comfortable with. Two consecutive flying laps and finally a slow down lap where people will wait on the start finish straight. I will finish the race immediately and start noting down lap times. As soon as I have them all collated you can all have a mini sprint to try bag the bonus finishing cash. 

I'll be able to quickly post the grid order here in the time between races for easy reference of the starting positions.

The race itself won't have the planned warm up lap. In practise it caused a lot of problems especially on the narrower tracks. We will use the grid positions marked on track and once the grid is formed we will go on the sound of a sticky bomb I will be setting. I will give a warning a few seconds before the race start for people to get ready.

Thanks everyone for their feedback on this.

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

The suggestion of having myself finishing first and making notes of the lap times as drivers come in is the fairest and easiest way, I already have a spreadsheet set up for the championship, it won't be difficult to add a qualifying page. The down side of this method is the increased time taken between races. While I'm organising the data if @Fido_le_muet can open a fresh race lobby (set to GTA. Time to noon and the appropriate number of laps in the race details post) and start re-inviting people it should minimise the downtime between qualifying and race. I'm hoping the time taken will be about the same. This would have to happen anyway with the tracks where we don't have a qualifying copy.

I think you can do this without me having to open a new race lobby.

Simply finish your lap, write down times of everyone else and a few mouse clicks on the sheet should give you the grid order while everyone finishes qualifying and the race ends on its own without you having to do anything else.

Just give us the OK to finish qualifying when you're almost done and that's it.

I'm pretty sure it won't be as long as you imagine.

But I'm happy to open a new race lobby if you want me to :)

8 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I think you can do this without me having to open a new race lobby.

Simply finish your lap, write down times of everyone else and a few mouse clicks on the sheet should give you the grid order while everyone finishes qualifying and the race ends on its own without you having to do anything else.

Just give us the OK to finish qualifying when you're almost done and that's it.

I'm pretty sure it won't be as long as you imagine.

But I'm happy to open a new race lobby if you want me to :)

I'm going to be posting the times on here too so everyone can see where they are starting, hopefully it won't take long, don't want to rush the process too much and make an error either. 

• Like 2