Coronavirus Pandemic

JustHatched

@LimeGreenLegend 

*hugs tight* 

Thank you for telling us. We're here in any way you need, whenever you feel ready. 

- - - - - - - - - -

In agonizingly related news, the United Kingdom has passed 40,000 recorded deaths in total so far.

I don't have the stomach to work it out precisely, but that put us right around the worst rate per capita, I think. It's close enough to make me feel so sad and so angry that my body has given up trying to pick one. Instead I just feel sick.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Crawford1872 said:

Imagine running a company like that.. not much to say other than i dont think Britain is unique in that aspect.

Over here sports are opening up again, like football leagues and such. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

What is that program and what is it supposed to be? 

You sure it wasn't Rockstar tech support?

• Haha 2

I’ve been avoiding this thread recently. It’s very clear my country doesn’t have a handle on the situation at all. Something actually tells me that the government don’t even want to stop the spread, they just don’t want to be blamed for it and they fear the economic damage more than the human cost. 

Easing the lockdown is good in someways, I managed to get out for some exercise in the park today with my housemate and a friend however on the way back we passed a grave yard and there was a large amount of fresh graves. We as a country have certainly messed things up. 

• Like 2

First, I would like to send my condolences and a virtual hug to Lime, so sorry to hear that.

After almost 3 months with the lockdown, it seems the virus is "controlled" (there are 100-200 infected each day, like in March, and deaths have decreased a lot, considering 400-500 people died every day a few months). The government has divided the process to go back to normality in 4 phases (0, 1, 2 and 3), each one with a bit more of freedom, and there are some schedules to get out of home (which are a bit ridiculous, because for example I can't go running after 23:00 but I can stay in a bar even until 1am). Where I live we are in phase 1, and tomorrow we'll be in phase 2. Theoretically there are big differences between each phase, but in really it isn't like that. Since phase 1 people are acting like normal days, social distancing doesn't exist and bars and beaches are plenty of people. 

As you know, Spain is divided in some "regions" (more or less like an state in USA), and Madrid is one of them. Madrid is the most affected zone, and since last week they are doing lots of demonstrations because they don't agree about how the government is managing the situation and because they think it isn't fair to be in an advanced phase, even they live in the most affected zone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

Something actually tells me that the government don’t even want to stop the spread, they just don’t want to be blamed for it and they fear the economic damage more than the human cost. 

Welcome to the USA.

On 5/31/2020 at 1:18 PM, Spinnaker1981 said:

What is that program and what is it supposed to be? 

Part of the governments contact tracing program. The thing we need to work well if they insist on opening up early 

Our cheif epidemiologist lead the way and keeps us calm, still starstruck shooting a video as he passes by to work.

On topic, our highschools opens up again mid june. Those are the only ones that has been closed/done on distance.

Suddenly in Sweden people feel its a great idea to gather in thousands. So wreckless and without any respect for the elderly and people working to safe lives.

Even if you think your doing something good (express sympathy over things overseas) one have to think before acting. 

On topic: So proud of my oldest who finish her first year in highschool today, me and her have been working/study from home and her disciplin has been great.

• Like 2

Watching the news, it seems we've beaten the virus 100% here in the states. People are encouraged to go out and gather in huge crowds, stay out all night shopping, and whatever else you would like.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jjss924 said:

Watching the news, it seems we've beaten the virus 100% here in the states. People are encouraged to go out and gather in huge crowds, stay out all night shopping, and whatever else you would like.

It is curious

Our recommendation not to travel within the country (Sweden) has now been replaced by a recommendation not to travel if you are sick.

Sweden is not having a terrible time btw.

Today, for the first time since this started, we have under 300 people in intensive care due to this virus.

2Idy27F.png

• Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 5:25 PM, Lann said:

Sweden is not having a terrible time btw.

Today, for the first time since this started, we have under 300 people in intensive care due to this virus.

2Idy27F.png

Hmm interesting. We had way more people in the IC units (maximum about 1300 at a time.). The peak was sooner (around the 7th of April)  but the decrease went faster. There are now about 100 persons with Corona in the IC units. The decrease and increase every day is about the same. Like +/- 10

New cases in general are rising again but that is really only due to a new national program to get everybody tested who thinks they have symptoms. There are special "drive-in's" for it. Before it was very limited.

Btw, a friend of mine is an IC nurse and he said that normally people are 1, maximum 2 weeks in IC. With Corona it's 6 to 8 weeks!

I can imagine people are traumatized when they make it through.

Edited by Schumi6581

Numbers are never going to be comparable until you look back and see how many more deaths a region had during a longer period compared to previous years average. 

Different way to count makes it impossible and useless to compare regions. Only reason to do that this early is political points.

Once its over we can hopefully evaluate and learn, and some critizice and judge.

As far as Sweden my words above about us improving was a silly reaction to world leader using Sweden as some kind of bat in politics, I simply added ”not” as i think we are moving in the right direction.

We have had flaws that let the virus into our nursing homes for elderly. Very very sad obviously, and this is were we have had a majority of our deaths.

As far as not shutting down society, I dont know whats right or wrong, but swedes like a balanced average ”lagom”.

Stay safe guys and girls because its not over yet.

We had the same problem with nursing homes here. Our death toll is said to be wrong due to hospitals counting deaths "with covid" as deaths "from covid", but who knows. Our news media and politicians are all pulling in any direction that suits them, so it's hard to get truth.

• Like 1

Scrolling through news.

I see nurses going in front of camera asking everyone to please stay aware, keep distance and saying its far from over. I read about Peking reacting to new cases. Then i read about thousands of people gathering shoulder to shoulder. Then i see stockmarkets being back on all time high.

Mixed signals.