Coronavirus Pandemic

JustHatched

I'm still doing the same lockdown stuff. This might change the way some people go about their daily stuff.

Non-essential shops are allowed to re-open tomorrow in Wales, but today we've seen the highest number of cases in a 24 hour period since May, so we're definitely not in the clear.

People will be out shopping for curtain poles, saucepans and Y-fronts tomorrow when they could be grabbing them online risk-free. I know which one I prefer.

Edited by DavidCore89

2 hours ago, The_Lady_A said:

So, uh, who else felt more unsafe when their respective government started rolling back lockdown measures? 

Hopefully soon we’ll be able to go to the Winchester for a nice cold pint and wait for it all to blow over. 

Although in order for us to do that we’ll have to register with the government and tell them I’m going to that particular pub at that particular time. We might also be forced to wear a mask during our visit to said pub. Hopefully I can find one with a hole for a straw. 

Edited by Squirrel
  • Haha 1

Testing more and more here. In our capital now about 1/5 (17.2%) of the tested have antibodies.

They also claim to have found evidence of the virus in Sweden as early as december.

I found it interesting.

https://bit.ly/2ZklrR5

New unpublished results from KI and @KarolinskaUnsju shows that many with mild or asymptomatic #COVID19 show #tcell immunity to the new #coronavirus, even if they don’t have antibodies. This means #Immunity is probably higher than antibody tests suggest.

The results are so new that they have not yet undergone peer review ahead of publication in a scientific journal. 

Let’s wait for peer review and see where that info leads us, but, if that is confirmed, it is indeed good news for most of us...

Edited by Spinnaker1981

1 hour ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

Sorry about the size, don’t know why that happened...

BECAUSE WE NEED MORE SHOUTING!

In personal news, I finally put in notice on my flat and will be moving back home to Leicester in mid-August. The same Leicester that just recieved the first localised lockdown in England. 

The "word on the street" in Leicester as to why there has been a spike is because of families gathering for Eid at the end of May. If that's true then the western world is going to be screwed in January after Christmas and NYE.

Edited by The_Lady_A

9 hours ago, Lann said:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.03.186296v1

Interesting read, but not a fact yet.

I have quite large doubts on that article.

In the US, proportionally,  blacks infection and hospitalization  rates are higher than the general population.

Not to be even slightly racist, whether those rates come from social activity or genetics have yet to be determined.

Hopefully the data can be FACTUALLY analyzed and not polluted by ignorant whiny politics.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

In sweden our neighboorhoods with alot of imigrants, where people live more crowded and might not know the language or keep up with the swedish news, have been hit much harder. I doubt their different ethnicities is the reason, but simply a different everyday life. 

I talked to a friend in Dallas, he described a lack of social distancing and that alot of prople seemed to act as the danger was over. Whats you view of how things are in Texas @zztop911?

1 hour ago, Lann said:

In sweden our neighboorhoods with alot of imigrants, where people live more crowded and might not know the language or keep up with the swedish news, have been hit much harder. I doubt their different ethnicities is the reason, but simply a different everyday life. 

I talked to a friend in Dallas, he described a lack of social distancing and that alot of prople seemed to act as the danger was over. Whats you view of how things are in Texas @zztop911?

I've seen the slacking of social distancing about 3 weeks to a month ago in the MetroMess(D/FW area). 

Aside from some of the stupidity MetroMess "protesters", in the last 10 days or so, I've seen an increased attention to a bit better social distances and wearing of masks.

Outside the MetroMess where I live, a very large percentage of people have been pretty attentive to prevention.

Myself, I distance myself from people and slightly OCD with sanitizing while away from home. Once I leave my truck, I don't touch my face, smoke, eat or drink. Once back in my truck and things stored, I sanitize my hands and anything I touch.  I mostly DON'T wear a mask simply because I don't get close to people and I sanitize VERY well.

Our Governor made an executive order earlier this week mandating mask wear when out in public and when gathering in 10 plus people on private property This is PURELY an act in futility and COULD lead to bad interactions by stupid and ignorant law enforcement agencies and  their officers.  The EO states that people are not to be arrested or detained to enforce the EO, yet there is a fine that COULD be levied by an officer. This is the key to futility in this EO.  In Texas, other than driving on public roads, you are NOT required to ID yourself UNLESS you are being ARRESTED. No damn "Your papers please. " n*zi crap here!

Since the EO states no one is to be arrested for violating the EO, it's just fluff. I'm only masking when the establishment requires it to enter. The gathering on private property requirement is fully US and Texas unconstitutional. Now if there are other actual violation/s at the gathering, then it could be broken up and if arrested, the fine for the no mask could be given.

Like I said before, both the not wearing  a mask in public or at private gathering could lead to bad interactions by ignorant or power hungry LEs.

Most of the county sheriffs in East Texas have stated that they will not enforce the EO. The biggest reason is they know it will only cause them legal problems. Now a couple have left a bit a gray area by their statements. That's clear evidence of either an ignorant and/or power hungry Sheriff.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

I've heard vitamin D plays a big part in your severity of symptoms. Darker skinned folks need more sunlight than us pasties. According to a small study from a doctor I follow, vit D deficiency in black Americans could account for basically a doubling in severity. 70% of Americans are vit D deficient though, so who knows. I'm no expert on any of this, so take it how you like.

@Lann Texas had about 70k cases a month ago, nearly 200k now. That's total, not current cases. The big rise in cases was all in big cities. I live just North of Dallas and it's business as usual here. We're being careful, but we aren't the problem. The commie riots are to blame for a lot of it, but most of that will be over soon, one way or another.

• Like 1

I just read an article where several scientists think that the coronavirus is airborne versus particle borne.

Yeah, some scientists have no common sense. If this virus was airborne, then transmission would be a lot more in confined spaces correct? Well, I have as of yet to hear of any mass transmissions from airline flights. That's pretty simple!

Edited by zztop911

Because Fat Buds Matter!

Something positive. Stockholm, that was hit first and hardest in Sweden have now not had a covid related death since july 2nd. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In our most southern region the university hospitals scientists can not complete their research as planned due to there are not enough covid-patients being treated in the hospital. A unexpected result of something obviously very positive.

• Like 1

The number of patients being treated for covid-19 at Östra Hospital in Gothenburg (Sweden) has started to decrease since May when hundreds of patients were intubated. Today, a few months later, they have only two patients in the ward, which is the lowest figure since the first patient in March.

We're at a high here. Our hospitals are mostly ok, and the death rate is lower than most places with similar populations. 

There is a statewide order on mask wearing in public. Most people are wearing them. 

Ed: inaccurate stat erased

Edited by Jjss924

2nd wave seems to be coming here. 

1000 new cases today. Number of new cases has been slowly rising since mid-june. 

I believe we're due for a bad time this fall. With the summer vacations, people aren't as careful and with people travelling all over the country, new clusters are emerging every day. I believe our government will start localized quarantine like in Spain. 

On 7/22/2020 at 10:07 PM, Fido_le_muet said:

2nd wave seems to be coming here. 

1000 new cases today. Number of new cases has been slowly rising since mid-june. 

I believe we're due for a bad time this fall. With the summer vacations, people aren't as careful and with people travelling all over the country, new clusters are emerging every day. I believe our government will start localized quarantine like in Spain. 

2nd wave? You mean the 1st has passed already? Sorry to say, but this is still the 1st wave, no matter how you see it.... you need it to fall in absolute number to be considered a 2nd wave... that hasn’t happened yet, sorry to say... 

• Like 2

In Wales we've recorded 0 deaths on 11/26 days so far in July.

I agree with Spin, probably still is the 1st wave. Spike in cases could coincide with relaxing of lockdown rules. After all, Covid doesn't spread itself, people do it.

If I lived a mile further to the West then I’d be back on Lockdown again. Government doing crazy things at the last minute again. 

3 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

If I lived a mile further to the West then I’d be back on Lockdown again. Government doing crazy things at the last minute again. 

What's occuring up there then? I was up your way Wednesday picking up a part for my car, seemed normal enough

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend