Coronavirus Pandemic

JustHatched

10 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

What's occuring up there then? I was up your way Wednesday picking up a part for my car, seemed normal enough

Big religious festival today so the government has banned gatherings in people’s houses in select areas. 

It’s the equivalent of cancelling Christmas at 9pm on Christmas Eve. There’s a lot of not very happy people around. 

26 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Big religious festival today so the government has banned gatherings in people’s houses in select areas. 

It’s the equivalent of cancelling Christmas at 9pm on Christmas Eve. There’s a lot of not very happy people around. 

ahhhhhhh, say no more. can imagine it's the same in brum/wolvo too

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

3 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Nanny-State BS!

Just distance and wear masks!

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

3 hours ago, zztop911 said:

Nanny-State BS!

Just distance and wear masks!

I agree it's crazy to be forced by the gvt but a lot of people won't be doing it so here we are. Same kinds of decisions are starting to happen here as well. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched our daily covid-report today. They reported some results they have gotten when testing for anti-bodies, the test have been taken randomly and also from blood donors.

That suggest that:

Overall in the country about 7% have antibodies.

In the capital Stockholm its higher, and in one of the hardest hit area in Stockholm it was as high as 18%.

Our deaths have been stable for a while with a average of 2-3 deaths per day, here showing the moving daily 7-day average:

eiDaNaE.png

It does feel as people have lowered their guard a bit over here. How are you guys experience your everyday life?

In Wales we're still not required to wear a mask outdoors, only on public transport.

7.4 cases per 100K people. My town has a little over the national average at 7.7. Quite a drop from 75.4 around 5 months ago.

Deaths have dropped off as well:

sept 3

• Like 1

More and more cases everyday here in France. Numbers rising slowly but surely. Hospitals admissions and people being admitted to the ICU are still very low though that's good news, even if the numbers are rising but very slowly. 

Looks like contaminated people these days are younger and so less likely to develop severe symptoms. School year just started this week so we'll see how it goes with this new parameter. Somes cases are starting to emerge at schools so they're shutting down the whole school when that happens somewhere... 

Most medium and large cities (over 50000 people) have put mask requirements outside in the center of towns. Mask is required indoors as well at work, school, malls, shops for everyone over 11 years old. So basically it's masks on all day long for almost everyone. 

Got out first cases at work this week. One guy caught it so 68 of us got tested (out of 200) and 2 more came back positive. I did the test cause I spoke to the patient zero guy the week before and you never know. Apparently he had no symptoms except he felt a bit more tired than usual. 

There is a growing anti-mask movement appearing thanks to the wonderful world of social media. They are already being taken over by groups of people who are basically against everything so yay, another reason for people to hate each other. 

We have been forced into Face Diapers for quite some time already. I hate the f*cking things. They are beyond uncomfortable and breathing in what you just breathed out sucks. 

Wearing them while walking across a restaurant floor just to take it off at the table is beyond stupid, lol. 

Oh well, the masses are loving this sh*t and it gives me a reason to stay out of stores. 

Should be seeing COVID 20 soon.

Edited by Sinister

I don't enjoy wearing face masks or bleaching my hands every time I go into a shop. But with everything opening back up here, after a summer of the government pissing on their own advice every five minutes, the UK is definitely going to have a bad autumn.

I've had an ongoing debate with my dad the whole time with him stressing that individual responsibility and individual blame is all there is, while I've been arguing that governments and (big) businesses need to lead by example and guide people through this. I love my dad but his Daily Mail tendencies never made sense to me. He was a bus driver and if he hadn't retired a year ago he'd have been forced to carry on throughout all of this. There would have been weeks at the start of this where his company would have had him driving without any PPE.  He would have to decide if trying to enforce the law about face coverings on his bus to protect his passengers was worth the direct risk to his safety, if a Libertardian* kicked off (or coughed off) about it.

(Seriously how did libertarians avoid getting stuck with lib-t*rd as their lable? It's got way more of the same letters than liberal does)

• Like 1

Things seem alot different here than in some other places. Today I have been to my kids BJJ practice and the grocerystore. I remember seeing one lady carrying a facemask, and it is indeed a rare thing. People do keep a distance, but we tend to do that anyways so you wont notice it as something different. Signs to keep distance, and containers with hand-alcohol are very common. 
Nothing is closed, and it was never shut down. The only thing ”closed” (teaching at distance) was our high-schools, but they are back to normal again. 
The effort to test has increased alot, and its easy. I had/have had cold symptoms for a week now, and this past week i booked a drive through test on my phone, got a time the next day and hope to get the result on monday. No cost and easy.

Got it back, no covid on me.

Stay safe!

Edited by Lann

On 9/13/2020 at 12:08 PM, Lann said:

Things seem alot different here than in some other places. Today I have been to my kids BJJ practice and the grocerystore. I remember seeing one lady carrying a facemask, and it is indeed a rare thing. People do keep a distance, but we tend to do that anyways so you wont notice it as something different. Signs to keep distance, and containers with hand-alcohol are very common. 
Nothing is closed, and it was never shut down. The only thing ”closed” (teaching at distance) was our high-schools, but they are back to normal again. 
The effort to test has increased alot, and its easy. I had/have had cold symptoms for a week now, and this past week i booked a drive through test on my phone, got a time the next day and hope to get the result on monday. No cost and easy.

Got it back, no covid on me.

Stay safe!

I really hope things continue as they are for you Lann, from everything you've said Sweden seems to continue to be amongst the best in Europe. 

2 hours ago, The_Lady_A said:

I really hope things continue as they are for you Lann, from everything you've said Sweden seems to continue to be amongst the best in Europe. 

I would think its simply because we did not shut down. That gave us alot more deaths initially (along with not protecting our nursing homes) but a less dramatic increase from opening up. But even a second wave will slow down, and hopefully we will all be able to relax some soon. 

On 9/14/2020 at 5:07 PM, Lann said:

I would think its simply because we did not shut down. That gave us alot more deaths initially (along with not protecting our nursing homes) but a less dramatic increase from opening up. But even a second wave will slow down, and hopefully we will all be able to relax some soon. 

I think we are starting a second wave here....

Daily COVID cases have risen from about 25 per day in the beginning of July to 1200/1300 per day this week. That is comparable to the registered peak in april.
The big difference is that the number of people being taken to hospital and IC units is way lower than in april. But it is starting to rise now 😞Hot spots for COVID cases here are university cities with a lot of students catching the virus. That could also explain the low number of hospitalizations.

I must also add that the testing capacity has been increased significantly since june so it is difficult to compare april to september. I can imagine that the actual peaks were way higher then.

Death rate is still very low too (about 2 per day) but I think that tends to lag behind the hospitalizations. So I'm not sure it will stay that way...

• Like 1

Exactly the same pattern here in France. Number of cases higher than in april but that's because we're doing more tests. Numbers from march/April are likely way higher than reported. 

Same thing here in Denmark. We're doing local lockdowns now. Had some high numbers in my city a few weeks back but things seem back to normal now. Whatever normal is these days. The capital region is a mess right now compared to the rest of the country, not superising due to its more much dense population and the fact that it's mostly inhabited by idiots. 

• Haha 1

5 counties in South Wales will be lockdown from 6PM today, roughly 850K people. Quite close to where I live, so probably not long until it happens here as well.

Wales has gone from 7.4 cases per 100K to 29.2 in less than 3 weeks.

Edited by DavidCore89

I’ve missed out on a local lockdown by a mile. 

Big government announcement this evening bringing in more restrictions that aren’t going to do a thing. 

Either crack down hard or not at all. These half measures don’t do a thing. 

3 hours ago, Squirrel said:

I’ve missed out on a local lockdown by a mile. 

Big government announcement this evening bringing in more restrictions that aren’t going to do a thing. 

Either crack down hard or not at all. These half measures don’t do a thing. 

Exactly. Same thing here. Cities are implementing small new restrictions each month but cases and deaths are rising quickly anyway. 

Our leaders are scared for the economy and don't want to p*ss people off with lockdowns again. 

But at the same time some survey show that people want more strong measures to fight the pandemic... 

Localised lockdowns will appear next month I'm sure of it. But the result will stay the same. Very pessimistic about the holidays right now. 

2 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Exactly. Same thing here. Cities are implementing small new restrictions each month but cases and deaths are rising quickly anyway. 

Our leaders are scared for the economy and don't want to p*ss people off with lockdowns again. 

But at the same time some survey show that people want more strong measures to fight the pandemic... 

Localised lockdowns will appear next month I'm sure of it. But the result will stay the same. Very pessimistic about the holidays right now. 

The Government here held a press conference last friday and acknowledged that we are now experiencing a second wave. In my city close to 50 cases  per 100k persons. That was 5 per 100k two months ago.  In Amsterdam it's 367 per 100k!

Also regional restrictions here because of the same reasons.

During all this I still try to keep my distance from people but I can feel my self walking backwards during conversations because people are coming closer and closer. And when you adress it they say stuff like "oh sorry I keep forgetting this". 

Edited by Schumi6581
  • Like 1

In Sweden, sampling has now increased radically. Last week, just over 139,000 PCR tests were performed, of which 1.5 percent were positive. Five new deaths have been reported since Friday and a total of 5,870 people have now died with covid-19 in Sweden. A total of 89,436 people have been confirmed infected - 1,199 more since last Friday.
The spread of infection is increasing somewhat in Sweden, but at the same time there is also more extensive testing.
- It is important that we continue to follow the recommendations now and do not lose control, says Anders Tegnell.
Signs of increased spread of coronavirus can be seen in Stockholm. According to Anders Tegnell, local restrictions may need to be introduced in Stockholm, but so far they can not announce what the restrictions would be.
- Here we have a discussion that you may need to introduce additional measures to reduce the spread of infection in Stockholm, he says.
Several outbreaks have occurred in team sports such as ice hockey and football. The outbreaks have occurred at both elite and amateur levels.
- It is important that we think about the spread of infection in the changing rooms, among other things, says Anders Tegnell.

The assessment is that the region has control over the infection situation and that local restrictions do not need to be introduced. The Swedish Public Health Agency generally sees an increased spread of covid-19 in team sports at various levels in Sweden.
- Now sports, especially ice hockey, seem to be very affected. I do not think that the infection spreads on the ice, it happens in changing rooms and when you meet before or after the sport, says Tegnell.
- People who are infected here extremely rarely become ill, and usually do not reach healthcare. But it can spread from that group to those who are more sensitive.
For healthcare, the situation is still calm, but an increased spread of infection can result in a higher burden for healthcare if we are not good at following the recommendations, according to Tegnell.
Among high school students, one can see a small increase, which was expected, according to Tegnell. Even in workplaces, there is a small increase in the number of infected people.