TV shows

Pb76

Started watching this FX Aussie produced show called "Mr InBetween".  Damn! This guy is a true sociopath! A gangster of some sort.

• Like 2

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 5 weeks later...

Air Disasters : Lethal Turn (Season 11 Ep. 5)

HZz5IrE.jpg?1

[September 26, 1997 - Garuda Indonesia Flight 152 - Death toll: 234]

The Good: The mystery of why a flight crew would be instructed by Air Traffic Control to turn Right towards the airport for landing and instead the plane takes a Left away from the airport and directly into the side of a mountain. As always the show's production value is superb. The mix of re-enactments and actual disaster aftermath footage is always used expertly. In this reenactment they even sprayed fake sweat on the investigators foreheads since the crash happened in the hot Indonesian forest, that is attention to detail. The CGI of the plane crashing is haunting and well done. The only awesome thing about these shows is that the global flight industry learns from the crashes and improves equipment and training almost immediately after every crash which end up saving millions of  lives in the future. 

SeZdjQe.jpg

The Bad: The Captain takes a Left turn out of habit. Checking the air condition controls at the moment the wrong turn was taking caused the co-pilot to miss that the Captain had made a mistake and was surprised by his instruments when he looked back at them and immediately contacted Air Control to clarify the turn it was too late as they were already heading into the mountain due to the confusion. Although the Auto-Pilot was destroyed on impact, Auto-Pilot failure was ruled out due to passing maintenance records which meant the flight was deliberately put on the wrong path by the pilots. The altitude that assisted in the disaster was directly caused by input mistake by the Captain. By the time the ATC realizes the flight crew might be making a wrong turn, the plane has descended too much for them to rescue the plane from crashing.

NKytqOZ.jpg

The Ugly: Forest fires, pollution, the confusing instructions from the ATC and general lack of clarity caused the disaster. It's one thing to take the wrong turn, but it's still another to be flying low enough to even be at risk into running into terrain. The ATC had a chance to prevent the crash since radar displays flight data. Sadly, Radar refreshes every 12 seconds...a less advanced system was being used so by the time ATC radar refreshed, the flight had already made the wrong turn and descened too much. But why didn't the Ground Proximity Warning System alert the pilots in the cockpit they were close to the ground? After investigating the FDR shows the alert went off five times but in the actual cockpit recording, it is only heard once a mere four seconds before impact which doesn't seem right so they enhance the audio and discover the alert they thought they heard in the cockpit recording wasn't from the GPWS, but from the co-pilot and ultimately uncovered that the GPWS doesn't activate under certain terrain. The alert that should have been heard in advance in the cockpit never sounded sealing the flight's fate as that was their last chance of avoiding the crash. 

Final thoughts....5/5....Just one of the best shows I watch on television as the investigation always keeps you guessing as to what could have occured. This is just another heart-breaking episode as the disaster could and should have been avoided but the procedures and equipment in place to prevent such things from happening all failed massively. Basically what happened was the pilots were familiar with the airport they were approaching, but instead of approaching from the Right side of the airport they were asked to approach from the Left side, setting in motion this horrible disaster.  Human error, system malfunctions, poor flying conditions were the perfect recipe for this disaster. The only positives are that the Indonesian airline industry upgraded their radars, put in place better communication protocols...and did everything so that something like this never occurs ever again.

Edited by Con

• 4 weeks later...

Don’t know if this has been mentioned before but I’ve been watching Mr Robot recently. It’s an excellent drama based around hacking. 

It stars Rami Malek whose in the new Bohemian Rhapsody film as a young hacker whose trying to take on the system. 

I don’t want to say too much about the premise of the show to avoid spoilers. There’s massive comparisons to be made to a well known film. I won’t mention what film it is as it will give away too much. 

Im part way through the third season and I’m definitely hooked. 

I think it’s only available on Amazon Prime but it’s worth a watch. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Been watching this show called The Boys....it was recommended to me by someone who knows I'm don't go out of my way to watch the latest superhero movies. So when he began talking about this, he had me intrigued by the concept and story line...I wouldn't watch it with children as the themes are adult. 

Related image

I just need to watch two more episodes and i'll post a review of Season 1. It has a lot of good things going for it thats all i will say for now. 

Image result for the boys homelander

• Like 3

I think I've mentioned this show before, but I've just recently finished season three, which is just out on Netflix.  

GLOW is a show based on the real 80's wrestling promotion Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, starring Alison Brie and Marc Maron.  You don't need to be a fan of wrestling to enjoy this, as it's a really funny drama in it's own right.  Plus there are lots of boobs and revealing 80's leotards.

season 2 trailer GIF by GLOW Netflix

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I think I've mentioned this show before, but I've just recently finished season three, which is just out on Netflix.  

GLOW is a show based on the real 80's wrestling promotion Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, starring Alison Brie and Marc Maron.  You don't need to be a fan of wrestling to enjoy this, as it's a really funny drama in it's own right.  Plus there are lots of boobs and revealing 80's leotards.

season 2 trailer GIF by GLOW Netflix

Awesome.

You probably already read it, but I reviewed the GLOW documentary that features the original wrestlers in the Rate the film thread a few months ago. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Con said:

Awesome.

You probably already read it, but I reviewed the GLOW documentary that features the original wrestlers in the Rate the film thread a few months ago. 

If you liked that definitely check out the series!

• Like 1

I am watching Fear the Walking Dead. Basically a Walking Dead 2.0. During sessions one through four I enjoyed watching the series because you could see each character's individuality shine true to who they are when faced with certain decisions.

I don't know if it's because they created a group now, & their groupthink dynamic is throwing off the original chemistry of the show or if it's the recent plots that are underwhelming or those specially filler episodes we hold so dear.

Almost all series seem to always get to that point and spiral downward before ending, I hope that it is not so for this series.

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

I am watching Fear the Walking Dead. Basically a Walking Dead 2.0. During sessions one through four I enjoyed watching the series because you could see each character's individuality shine true to who they are when faced with certain decisions.

I don't know if it's because they created a group now, & their groupthink dynamic is throwing off the original chemistry of the show or if it's the recent plots that are underwhelming or those specially filler episodes we hold so dear.

Almost all series seem to always get to that point and spiral downward before ending, I hope that it is not so for this series.

That is basically every TV show in history. I rarely watch past the 3rd or 4th season of anything. By that point they run out of ideas and start to recycle or steal from other shows that are also past their prime. 

These shows that have been on for decades are the perfect examples. The Simpson’s should have left TV by 2000. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

I'm a season behind on my dvr! LOL!

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 8:36 PM, zztop911 said:

Started watching this FX Aussie produced show called "Mr InBetween".  Damn! This guy is a true sociopath! A gangster of some sort.

He doubles down  on the sociopath! Damn!

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 12:13 PM, Banketelli said:

Peaky Blinders... what a show and some brilliant performances! But the standout is the leading actor Cillian Murphy. Didn't take many scenes before I had completely forgot about him as Scarecrow. Though that all went to hell in season 2 when Tom Hardy entered the show and The Dark Knight was all I could think of.:lol:

Love that show!

Season 5 is now available!

Because Fat Buds Matter!

5 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Just finished Mindhunter season 2. Brilliant show. 

Loved the first season. Haven't got around to watching season 2 yet, but I'm looking forward to it. 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2019 at 3:56 PM, Fido_le_muet said:

Just finished Mindhunter season 2. Brilliant show. 

On the 4th episode of season1, quite an interesting program, but dark as hell at times. Great writers. So far, well worth the watch!

• Like 2

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 5 weeks later...

Just watched the trailer for an upcoming TV Series on Apple TV and it kinda hooked me. 

Called Servant, it's produced by M Night Shyamalan and it's about a nanny hired by a family to care about... a doll, because their baby died at 13 weeks old. That looks very creepy and weird :D 

Out at the end of the month.

• Like 2

I started watching Power and the acting was mediocre at best. Sure the lead actor, a self centered gangster & his partner in crime was really pulling the weight of carrying the series, I could see the developement of some of the supporting casts as the seasons rolled by.

The lead up to and throughout season 6 did not prepare me for the season six finale, and 'man' was it masterfully done. I started to think that a character was damn near Keyser Soze status if you get the reference, I dont want give too much away but that's the 1st thought I generated. I would recommend this series just so that you would watch from the start to the finale, if your paying attention to the generic gangster storyline. No corny filler moments involved, and it was impactful with depth, the last time I saw a season finale like this was when Negan was going to 'eenie meenie miney mo' with a baseball bat called, Lucille in the Walking Dead. Check it out for yourselves, hope you enjoy it

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Mandalorian ?

Episode 3 is phenomenal !

It's slowly becoming my favorite Star Wars stuff !

Are the first two episodes still available?  I plan to get Disney + soon. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, omarcomin71 said:

Are the first two episodes still available?  I plan to get Disney + soon. 

Yes, they will stay on Disney+ pretty much forever. 

• Like 2

My wife has me watching Call the Midwife with her. Not a bad show even it is the typical drama stuff. 

On the flip side my son has me watching Grimm. Cool show that started off very well. Think I’m done at the end of season 4 though. 

• Like 1