RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

Welcome to the RSC Film Club

A chance to watch and discuss films, maybe your favourites, maybe something you’ve never heard of before, with all your favourite crew mates.

We will be watching one film per month, hopefully giving everyone a chance to watch the film and to have a decent discussion about it before moving on to the next one.  

How do we choose what to watch? 

There will be a different theme/genre every month to keep things fresh, which will be announced in this thread.

Everyone is free to nominate a film in this thread, all of which will be put in a random draw and chosen by good ol’ trustworthy @Con (it’ll just be luck that his films get chosen every month ;))

Since we want as many people to be able to join in as possible please don’t nominate very obscure films that are hard to get hold of.

We will leave the nominations open for a few days to give everyone a chance to nominate a film before the random draw, then I will open a separate thread for the winning film.

The separate threads for the films will be full of spoilers, but please leave this main thread spoiler free, some people still haven’t seen The Sixth Sense yet.

What’s the point?

Films are awesome, and any chance to watch them is great.  This crew is also full of members from all over the world, with different backgrounds and experiences and tastes, which should lead to some nice discussions about the art form.

So without further ado, let’s kick this mother off.

The category for April is Best Director Oscar winning films, with the winning film being Parasite.

Shocked Black And White GIF by Madman Films

Current Film Club Film:

Parasite (2019)

Previous Film Club Films:

The French Connection (1971) 

Chicago (2002)

Aliens (1986)

The Crimson Rivers (2000)

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

They Live (1988)

The Neverending Story (1984)

Dune (1984)

The Lost Boys (1987)

Train to Busan (2016)

Gladiator (2000)

Gremlins (1984)

Four Lions (2010)

Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)

The King of Comedy (1982)

Blue Ruin (2013)

Max Manus: Man of War (2008)

The Hurricane (1999)

American Psycho (2000)

Seven Samurai (1954)

The Iron Giant (1999)

Jacob's Ladder (1990)

Mulholland Drive (2001)

Home Alone (1990)

Brazil (1985)

Can't Stop the Music (1980)

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

Atomic Blonde (2017)

Film Club Extra:

Gravity (2013)

Rush (2013)

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)

The Duellists (1977)

Dear Basketball (2017)

The King (2019)

The Hunt for Red October (1990)

black and white film GIF

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
April update
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1970 Patton

ZSgUeX2.jpg

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

:D don’t worry, the drawings will be captured on video, just in case my choices win back-to-back :D  We can always ask the crew to make the choice for us through a poll so this way even people not in the viewing club can have some participation?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Con said:

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

:D don’t worry, the drawings will be captured on video, just in case my choices win back-to-back :D  We can always ask the crew to make the choice for us through a poll so this way even people not in the viewing club can have some participation?

I was thinking the random draw would be fairer and quicker.  Dont want to spend more time voting on what to watch than actually watching the film :D 

Also, nice selection of films so far, would be happy watching any of them.

And I knew that you would pick the one horror film to win @Con ;) 

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beez said:

The French Connection (1971) 

Ive never seen it but know it has a great car chase in it. 

Great choice dude.  And yeah, incredible car chase that they didn't have permission to film, so they just did it anyway on open roads with actual traffic in the way!

0u2qik0.jpg

Nominations for Film Club so far: 

Amadeus - The life, success and troubles of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, as told by Antonio Salieri, the contemporary composer who was insanely jealous of Mozart's talent and claimed to have murdered him.

Patton - The World War II phase of the career of the controversial American general, George S. Patton.

Silence of the Lambs - A young FBI cadet must receive the help of an incarcerated and manipulative cannibal killer to help catch another serial killer, a madman who skins his victims.

Kramer vs. Kramer - Ted Kramer's wife leaves him, allowing for a lost bond to be rediscovered between Ted and his son, Billy. But a heated custody battle ensues over the divorced couple's son, deepening the wounds left by the separation.

Rain Man - Selfish yuppie Charlie Babbitt's father left a fortune to his savant brother Raymond and a pittance to Charlie; they travel cross-country.

The French Connection - A pair of NYC cops in the Narcotics Bureau stumble onto a drug smuggling job with a French connection.

Unforgiven - Retired Old West gunslinger William Munny reluctantly takes on one last job, with the help of his old partner and a young man.

Out of Africa - In 20th-century colonial Kenya, a Danish baroness/plantation owner has a passionate love affair with a free-spirited big-game hunter.

Dances With Wolves - Lieutenant John Dunbar, assigned to a remote western Civil War outpost, befriends wolves and Indians, making him an intolerable aberration in the military.

Forrest Gump - The presidencies of Kennedy and Johnson, Vietnam, Watergate, and other history unfold through the perspective of an Alabama man with an IQ of 75.

peEf9Dz.png

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

I'm sort of interested in this, but as someone who does not use anything like Netflix, Amazon prime etc, how would I get to see the film chosen? Are there cheap download sites you can get films from without having an on-going subscription?

3 minutes ago, djw180 said:

I'm sort of interested in this, but as someone who does not use anything like Netflix, Amazon prime etc, how would I get to see the film chosen? Are there cheap download sites you can get films from without having an on-going subscription?

Apart from shops like CEX or getting them cheap on Amazon etc (all dvds for the films chosen are under 5 quid) I can only think of naughty ways like "borrowing" from the internet, that I couldn't possibly endorse or advise ;) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, djw180 said:

This is very important since we don't want people left out because they don't have access to the films. Here in the USA, you could probably visit any local library and find a movie section where you can borrow DVDs and Blu Rays. Some libraries still have VHS here. So i suggest you check in with libraries. If you dont have access to local library then please find out what it would cost for a streaming service in your country and I will Fund-raise your subscription. 

3 minutes ago, Con said:

This is very important since we don't want people left out because they don't have access to the films. Here in the USA, you could probably visit any local library and find a movie section where you can borrow DVDs and Blu Rays. Some libraries still have VHS here. So i suggest you check in with libraries. If you dont have access to local library then please find out what it would cost for a streaming service in your country and I will Fund-raise your subscription. 

Thanks Con, I'll see if there are any local libraries that have DVDs, if not I'll get them online.

@LimeGreenLegend I'll nominate Out of Africa.

• Like 2

Count me in! 

Question,  Is the intention to nominate movies from the  specific category that people may not have seen?  Movies we’ve already watched and enjoyed?  Or maybe movies we’d like to see? All the above? 

Edit:  for instance I would nominate Unforgiven but I’m sure everyone has seen it.  And The Deer Hunter for one some may haven’t seen. 

Edited by omarcomin71
  • Like 2

Just now, omarcomin71 said:

Count me in! 

Question,  Is the intention to nominate movies from the  specific category that people may not have seen?  Movies we’ve already watched and enjoyed?  Or maybe movies we’d like to see? All the above? 

All of the above.  Can be a favourite of yours or something you want to see.  I know that Beez hasn't seen the film he nominated.

• Like 1

I've seen Titanic and Rain Man, other than that I don't think I have seen anything on that list. And I'm sure those 2 are without looking, perhaps I am remembering something else I feel @omarcomin71 old right now

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, omarcomin71 said:

Edit:  for instance I would nominate Unforgiven but I’m sure everyone has seen it.  And The Deer Hunter for one some may haven’t seen. 

On 2/4/2019 at 4:25 PM, Hatch said:

I've seen Titanic and Rain Man, other than that I don't think I have seen anything on that list. And I'm sure those 2 are without looking, perhaps I am remembering something else I feel @omarcomin71 old right now

Please submit your official nominations. Thanks.

Edited by Con
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Con said:

Please submit your official nominations. Thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Only a couple of hours left to nominate a film before the draw.

you need to stream the draw so we can be sure you didn´t cheat ! :DDDDDD

• Haha 2