TV shows

Pb76

26 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

I was quite surprised by this. Expected it to be one of those typical made by the numbers compilation series like the Toys That Made Us. 

It actually went deeper into the history of gaming than previously seen in other docs. Found out a lot of stuff I didn’t know  

Yeah, that's kinda what I expected too.

The whole Nintendo vs. Sega battle has been done to death. However, I could have happily sat through a lot more episodes, because a lot of it was stuff I didn't already know.

Atari: Game Over (2014) is another decent one.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Norsemen (Netflix)

This is a sitcom set in an 8th century Viking village. I like it. It has been described as Monty Python meets Game of Thrones (not that I know much of the latter). It's a Norwegian production but the version here in the UK is shot in English. Much of the humour derives from having the characters doing and saying modern day things, that you wouldn't think of a Viking doing or saying. So for example a new Chief takes charge of the village. Unlike his predecessor he is not into fighting and raiding, he is more into poetry and theatre. One of his first moves is to commission an art installation to attract cultural visitors to the village. They also manage to make humour out of the sort of things Vikings are well known for that some might not think of as great material for humour. There is a scene where a couple of Vikings casually discuss their plans for dinner whilst impaling and mutilating the bodies of monks they have just killed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Finished all three series and the prequal film of Twin Peaks and it is f*cking brilliant.  Maybe my favourite show ever.  Series three is insane!  It has both some of the funniest and scariest moments I can recall seeing in a TV show.  Can't recommend it highly enough.

twin peaks thumbs up GIF

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

The Mandalorian is back and he brought someone back 😍

Is it true that they are releasing it weekly? I want to watch it all in one go. 

I've just finished watching the remake of Battlestar Gallactica (mid 2000s, not the original 70s/80s) that the BBC is currently showing. It's good, but they do seem to literally lose the plot at times. For those who have never seen either the basic plot is the last human survivors of a war with cyborg enemies they created are looking for the long lost planet Earth, lead and protected by their last remaining military ship, the Battlestar Gallactica. They eek this out for over 80 episodes over 4 series with quite a few that don't really add much to the overal story and along the way introduce what seem to be potentialy important plot elements that never get expanded on. If you like sci fi you'll probably enjoy it but maybe get tired before the end.

@LimeGreenLegend Twin peaks was great. That is one I definitely wanted another series of.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Is it true that they are releasing it weekly? I want to watch it all in one go. 

Yep, new episodes each fridays.

7 hours ago, djw180 said:

I've just finished watching the remake of Battlestar Gallactica (mid 2000s, not the original 70s/80s) that the BBC is currently showing. It's good, but they do seem to literally lose the plot at times. For those who have never seen either the basic plot is the last human survivors of a war with cyborg enemies they created are looking for the long lost planet Earth, lead and protected by their last remaining military ship, the Battlestar Gallactica. They eek this out for over 80 episodes over 4 series with quite a few that don't really add much to the overal story and along the way introduce what seem to be potentialy important plot elements that never get expanded on. If you like sci fi you'll probably enjoy it but maybe get tired before the end.

Love BSG. One of my favorite sci-fi show. The Expanse is another gem ! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Currently nearing the end of working my way through Twin Peaks (so I can finally watch series 3 that was released a couple of years ago).

I didn't see the original when it was first released in the early 90s, but a few years later when a friend lent me it on video tapes. I don't think it looks too dated, other than it's not wide screen. The first series and 1st half half of the 22 episode long series 2 (co-written & directed by David Lynch) are way better than the 2nd half of series 2 (not directed or written by Lynch). It does seem like the producers wanted to keep it going as long as possible had story lines made up that had nothing to do with the original story.

@LimeGreenLegend I'm interested to know what you think of the 2nd half of series 2. Other than the very end (If I'm remembering correctly) I think they should have stopped once Leyland had died thus concluding the original investigation. I really don't get what most of the 2nd half of series 2 adds. Not that it isn't still good, David Duchovny as 'Denise' alone is worth watching it for! But I don't get the point of things like James running away, Nadine thinking she's back at school, 'little Nicky', etc. But it is almost like David Lynch wanted it to stop, so he did stop directing and writing, but the production company carried on without him then realized that was mistake.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 2

I think that the second half of season 2 has some good stuff like Denise and the last couple of episodes, but it really is a big step down from season 1 and totally loses any kind of structure after the killer is revealed.  Honestly, I don't really like it.  However, season 3 is just the best season of any tv show I've ever seen, it's pure Lynch.  It's as experimental as his films like Eraserhead and Inland Empire and scarier than most horror films, the soot-covered smoking guys "got a light?" are terrifying.  You're gonna love it, especially the character Dougie!  I'm Mr. Jackpot, hellllloooooooooo!  

Just don't go into season 3 expecting it to be anything like the previous two.

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@djw180Lynch recently signed a deal with Netflix to produce an original big budget TV show called Wisteria that starts shooting in a couple of months.  If it's anywhere close to being as good as Twin Peaks 3 then I'm in.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

Who else is watching Squid Game?

Its on Netflix and it’s addictive and very brutal. 

I haven’t finished it yet so no spoilers please! 

My sister text me last night telling me I need to watch it, I haven't yet, probably will though.

26 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

My sister text me last night telling me I need to watch it, I haven't yet, probably will though.

There’s a very good reason why it’s the most ever watched show on Netflix. 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 5:20 PM, Squirrel said:

There’s a very good reason why it’s the most ever watched show on Netflix. 

I started it, but it was late and I zonked out.......cannacoffee worked.

So I should give it a second try?

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

2 hours ago, zztop911 said:

I started it, but it was late and I zonked out.......cannacoffee worked.

So I should give it a second try?

Definitely. Start early though, there’s a high chance that you won’t want to turn it off until it’s finished 

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2021 at 2:14 PM, Squirrel said:

Definitely. Start early though, there’s a high chance that you won’t want to turn it off until it’s finished 

I did finish it.  All I can say is ..............sick!

Because Fat Buds Matter!

2 hours ago, Squirrel said:

I don’t think I’d want to play those games. 

Oh hell no! That 46 billion Won only equaled to I think around $62 million

Because Fat Buds Matter!

20 hours ago, zztop911 said:

Oh hell no! That 46 billion Won only equaled to I think around $62 million

That’s only £45 million. Wouldn’t bother getting out of bed for that 😂

• 6 months later...

Not posted here for a while...

I'm currently watch Dark on Netflix. If you like Sci-Fi that stays on Earth, in and around our own time, and that at least tries to base itself on actual science (albeit with very large doses of 'if this hypotheses were true .... ' and 'if this were technologically possible ...') then I think you'd like this. It's a German production. Set in a town deep in the forest, close to nuclear power plant, with some mysterious caves in the woods. It's a little-bit Twin-Peaks like in that regard. The theme is time-travel and ultimately the story is told at three different points in time with the same characters, mostly as their younger / older selves, but with some of them traveling back and forth and even interacting with their younger / older selves. It can get a little confusing trying to remember who is who at different points in their life, but in this respect I think the subtitles help because you are forced to read someone's name rather than just hear it.

• Like 1

Good thread to revive:

When my wife and I started living together we had so many TV shows we wanted to watch, plus there were so many from the past that she had never seen.  It became difficult to decide what to watch and every night after dinner there was a discussion on what to watch tonight.  So to cut down on the decision making we made a schedule.  Even though everything was on demand or streaming we assigned shows to each night of the week to make it easy.

Monday nights was a long term show ( a show of at least 3 seasons) that she had not seen.  Tuesday nights were for a long term show that neither of us had seen, Wednesday and Sunday nights were for current/more recent shows that was running now or had two seasons or less to watch.  Friday and Saturday nights are movie nights.  And Thursday nights are whatever we want or feel like, but is normally my poker night 🙂

Right now on Monday's we watch two episodes of the Sopranos (she has never seen it).  We are currently in the final season.  Though while Better Call Saul is back Monday's will be one episode of Sopranos and one BCS.

Tuesday's we are watching 2 episodes of Mad Men.  We are currently in the middle of season 4.  It took me a while to get into it but I do enjoy it.  I love the fact that Draper, the main character, is both dis-likeable and likeable.

Wednesday we currently are watch one episode of Dopesick and one episode of Mare of Eastown.  Both very good.  Next on Wednesdays we will be watching the new show from the creators of the wire: We Own This City:

Our other Next Wednesday show will either be Shining Girls, Nine Perfect Strangers or Super Pumped.

And on Sunday's we are watching the most recent season of Billions.

And we are both very excited for the up coming Kenobi show on Disney + and the return of Ozark.  We will probably slide those into Sunday nights when we catch up on Billions.

We are definitely in the Golden Age of TV!

• Like 2

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

I'm not really a TV guy, but I am rewatching Star Trek Voyager at work.  Love me some Janeway, best captain IMO.  

Also, Star Trek > Star Wars, fight me 😉 

Star Trek Voyager Reaction GIF by Star Trek

• Like 1