Coronavirus Pandemic

JustHatched

8 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Alcohol is still an essential. People essentially wanna get pissed :classic_biggrin:

This lockdown has seen more firm rules. Non-essential items are covered with plastic.

The focus in our partial lockdown actually seems to be on the decrease of alcohol usage (and the blurring of boundaries that goes with it). 
Restaurants, bars and cafe's are closed. And you cant buy any liquor in stores after 20.00h at night.

Just now, Schumi6581 said:

The focus in our partial lockdown actually seems to be on the decrease of alcohol usage (and the blurring of boundaries that goes with it). 
Restaurants, bars and cafe's are closed. And you cant buy any liquor in stores after 20.00h at night.

10PM here, doesn't change much IMO, since most stores normally close at that time.

Yeah, all of those are closed for us. Not having to wear a mask in those places is a real problem.

3 hours ago, Schumi6581 said:

I think @djw180told me during the first lockdown that the British liquor stores were labeled essential. So what else do they need? 🙂 

I remember reading that and telling you. But I have no idea whether it was actually put in place. I don't think we have any actual off-licenses (that's what we call them) around here. All the shops you can buy booze from also sell other things, food, newspapers, etc. Most of the people making these rules don't seem to know what they are anyway. Boris certainly hasn't got a clue. Not sure if the Welsh government is any better.

Another thing related I read recently, from someone outside government, pub chain boss I think. They proposed that no shops should be allowed to sell alcohol, but pubs still can. So that if you want a drink you are forced to go to the pub!

Just now, djw180 said:

I remember reading that and telling you. But I have no idea whether it was actually put in place. I don't think we have any actual off-licenses (that's what we call them) around here. All the shops you can buy booze from also sell other things, food, newspapers, etc. Most of the people making these rules don't seem to know what they are anyway. Boris certainly hasn't got a clue. Not sure if the Welsh government is any better.

Another thing related I read recently, from someone outside government, pub chain boss I think. They proposed that no shops should be allowed to sell alcohol, but pubs still can. So that if you want a drink you are forced to go to the pub!

I have an off-licence 5 mins from me, allowed to stay open during both lockdowns.

Welsh Gov. have only stopped major supermarkets selling non-essentials, local stores can still sell anything. It's been done like that to level the playing field a bit as everyone flocked to supermarkets in the first lockdown and smaller shops probably suffered.

To be fair, I'm happy with the Welsh Gov. and so are the majority here. Lockdown is protecting our people. I think if England also had a Labour Gov. they'd be in lockdown too.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

I have an off-licence 5 mins from me, allowed to stay open during both lockdowns.

Welsh Gov. have only stopped major supermarkets selling non-essentials, local stores can still sell anything. It's been done like that to level the playing field a bit as everyone flocked to supermarkets in the first lockdown and smaller shops probably suffered.

To be fair, I'm happy with the Welsh Gov. and so are the majority here. Lockdown is protecting our people. I think if England also had a Labour Gov. they'd be in lockdown too.

ah ok. I often forget that Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland have their own government and specific rules. thnx for clearing that up.

Edited by Schumi6581

On 10/25/2020 at 8:41 AM, DavidCore89 said:

55K people in my country signed a petition to allow shops to sell non-essential items during this 2 week lockdown.

I'm surprised. I was certain we had more than 55K idiots living here.

These people managed to find an online petition, I can only hope they also stumble across online shopping too.

What's the difference of shops selling "essential" items and non-essential items?  As long as there's social distancing, where is the problem?

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

1 hour ago, zztop911 said:

What's the difference of shops selling "essential" items and non-essential items?  As long as there's social distancing, where is the problem?

I guess the more things that are on sale encourages more people to go out and shop, which increases the spread. Social distancing hasn't been working lately.

Overall, probably changes nothing.

Edited by DavidCore89

Social Distancing? Lol. Not here in Florida. At least not in the big businesses. 

They have pretty much pulled all regulations and have vowed to never implement them again.  Theme parks require masks for everything but that’s about it. Restaurants and other places ask that you wear one but very few will say anything to the people (pretty much everyone) that refuse to comply. 

Social distancing is what Sweden mainly does, and in general people are good at it. 

But people do start to get tired of it. 

Some areas see sharp increase now and are implementing further restrictions in the form of: “stay away from the stores and public transport, unless you really really need to”. 

Swedes are definitely much more disciplined than the rest of Europe. 

Here, as you all know very well, people like to complain at everything. Covid measures are no exceptions. Masks, social distanciation, curfew, lockdown... People complain and are angry that the gvt is removing their precious fondamental rights, aka drinking. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 1:06 PM, djw180 said:

But I have no idea whether it was actually put in place.

On 10/26/2020 at 1:25 PM, DavidCore89 said:

I have an off-licence 5 mins from me, allowed to stay open during both lockdowns

Alcohol is an essential item to an alcoholic. Going cold turkey can do some serious damage to the body. I’ve seen people suffer seizures from not drinking and in extreme cases it can be fatal. For this reason the sale of alcohol can’t be stopped. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 9:55 AM, Schumi6581 said:

So, you just buy it before 20pm and drinlnit at home.... that is not hard t do, is it? 

3 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Swedes are definitely much more disciplined than the rest of Europe. 

Here, as you all know very well, people like to complain at everything. Covid measures are no exceptions. Masks, social distanciation, curfew, lockdown... People complain and are angry that the gvt is removing their precious fondamental rights, aka drinking. 

HA. You should see how people act over here. I mean, even our PRESIDENT makes fun of people that wear masks.

11 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

So, you just buy it before 20pm and drinlnit at home.... that is not hard t do, is it? 

Its not hard to do for me....  I haven't seen a bar or cafe from the inside for 8 months or so. 
But the Dutch react a bit like @Fido_le_muetmentions about the French:

13 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

"People complain and are angry that the gvt is removing their precious fondamental rights, aka drinking. "

10 hours ago, Sinister said:

HA. You should see how people act over here. I mean, even our PRESIDENT makes fun of people that wear masks.

I don't even want to talk about that. Then I might say things about the US president that will get this thread locked 😉 
An next to that. With our government we aren't doing a better job. Although that's more down to the people themselves. The measures all seem pretty sensible.

Edited by Schumi6581

12 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Alcohol is an essential item to an alcoholic. Going cold turkey can do some serious damage to the body. I’ve seen people suffer seizures from not drinking and in extreme cases it can be fatal. For this reason the sale of alcohol can’t be stopped. 

Do you think that's the main reason? I think it also has to do with rioting you potentially get because people are not getting their alcohol..

6 minutes ago, Schumi6581 said:

Do you think that's the main reason? I think it also has to do with rioting you potentially get because people are not getting their alcohol..

It gives a legitimate reason to keep selling it. It makes more sense than closing pubs at a certain time and only allowing certain ones to open. 

Prez should be announcing national lockdown in about 40 minutes. At least that's what the rumor says. People are already swarming supermarkets to buy pasta and toilet paper rolls... 

1 hour ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Prez should be announcing national lockdown in about 40 minutes. At least that's what the rumor says. People are already swarming supermarkets to buy pasta and toilet paper rolls... 

If people stopped eating all the pasta then they wouldn’t need the toilet as much. 

• Haha 3

I don't know about a 2nd wave of covid, but the second wave of toilet paper shortages has his my area. I think people may expect some weirdness to follow tomorrow.

15 hours ago, Jjss924 said:

I don't know about a 2nd wave of covid, but the second wave of toilet paper shortages has his my area. I think people may expect some weirdness to follow tomorrow.

LOL!  I'm protected, well at least my *ss is!  I have a big package of GIANT rolls of Charmin Extra Soft!

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Today it became clear our government and professionals are preparing us for a marathon. A few areas with tighter recommendations, like to only hang out with your family. For all there is also a limit of (a party of) 8 people at each table when dining out. And again they ask all that can to work from home.
They are shaping the recommendations in a way that people will manage to bare with for a long time, nothing dramatic. I hope they are right. 
We are seeing sharp increases right now, like many other.

On 10/28/2020 at 9:50 AM, Schumi6581 said:

I think you're both right, and DC too with the tax revenues angle. But yes, a long term alcoholic suddenly going without alcohol can quickly become a medical emergency. Of course alcohol poisoning can also be a medical emergency... public health is hard.