RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

The King (2019) 

If it’s a struggle for everyone to watch as it’s too new and only on Netflix I can pick another. 

I like a lot of medieval stuff so there’s plenty of alternative films I can go for. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Squirrel said:

The King (2019) 

If it’s a struggle for everyone to watch as it’s too new and only on Netflix I can pick another. 

I like a lot of medieval stuff so there’s plenty of alternative films I can go for. 

I have always offered to privately finance viewing for anyone that wants to participate. I don’t care what country you are in, we will figure it out. 
So if your selection wins, my offer is still valid to everyone. I literally have money set aside for Film club because I really want people to participate, it’s like a book club but you don’t gotta read. 😄 

@Squirrel @Con

As far as I can see The King is only availble on Netflix, which I don't have. There is no DVD yet, it's not on either of the two on-demand services I have.

So Con it's not an issue of cost, I just don't appear to have access to this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, djw180 said:

@Squirrel @Con

As far as I can see The King is only availble on Netflix, which I don't have. There is no DVD yet, it's not on either of the two on-demand services I have.

So Con it's not an issue of cost, I just don't appear to have access to this.

They should have a 30 day free trial.  They actually make it easy to cancel too!  Since it's a Netflix production you won't be able to get it anywhere else.

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

They should have a 30 day free trial.  They actually make it easy to cancel too!  Since it's a Netflix production you won't be able to get it anywhere else.

Great - that works for me 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 10:51 AM, djw180 said:

I'm going to nominate Kennith Brannagh's version of William Shakespeare's Henry V.

Interestingly enough The King is also based on Shakesperes Henry V. Would be great to see both versions of the same story if the wheel is kind to us. 

4 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Interestingly enough The King is also based on Shakesperes Henry V. Would be great to see both versions of the same story if the wheel is kind to us. 

I think The King is Henry IV pt1, Henry IV pt 2 and Henry V. I'd definetly like to see it, my wife would as well I'm sure.

The BBC did a similar thing called The Hollow Crown a couple of years ago, split into 3 parts, I think. Richard II, Henry IV pt1, Henry 1V pt2, Henry V, Henry VI pt1, Henry VI pt2, Henry VI pt3 and Richard III. They all follow on from each other and cover the Wars of the Roses, apart from Henry V when we decided to put civil war on hold and renew the Hundred Years War with France for a bit.

19 minutes ago, djw180 said:

when we decided to put civil war on hold and renew the Hundred Years War with France for a bit.

And during that war there was that little moment in a place called Agincourt. 

Won’t say any more due to spoilers. 

• Like 1

The wheel has spoken for this month's medieval film club...

AECbjQh.jpg

There's also going to be a film club extra choice this month.  We've not had one since the Ridley Scott double feature, and since this was @Squirrel and @djw180's theme, and they've had an excited little exchange about it in the thread, we'll also be watching David Michôd's The King.  This has also been on my watchlist for a while, and it will be an interesting contrast to see the era as depicted in the east and the west.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

The wheel has spoken for this month's medieval film club...

AECbjQh.jpg

There's also going to be a film club extra choice this month.  We've not had one since the Ridley Scott double feature, and since this was @Squirrel and @djw180's theme, and they've had an excited little exchange about it in the thread, we'll also be watching David Michôd's The King.  This has also been on my watchlist for a while, and it will be an interesting contrast to see the era as depicted in the east and the west.

sad monty python GIF

• Haha 3

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

6 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

We need a second extra for CatMan and I ! 

We can have our own film club, conviniently located at the top of a castle and we can do this to everyone else..... 

Time People GIF

• Haha 2

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

6 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

What’s wrong with watching what happened at Agincourt? Can’t possibly think why you wouldn’t like it 😂

We won’t talk about what happened after that battle though when we got our arses kicked by a teenage girl. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

There's always next month 🙂 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, djw180 said:

I have just started my Netflix free month. Found The King OK. But It doesn't appear to have Seven Samurai. Is that right?

Yup.  It's on the BFI Player on Amazon Prime, or it's about £4 to rent.

Prime and the BFI Player both do free trials too, but the BFI Player only does it for a week, not a month.

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Yup.  It's on the BFI Player on Amazon Prime, or it's about £4 to rent.

There’s a 7 day free trial available for the BFI player if you have Amazon Prime

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Con said:

@LimeGreenLegend you been keeping up with this whole "Cuties" Netflix thing? 

I have, it’s hilarious.  Watched the trailer for it earlier (which is probably more than anyone who’s complaining about it has actually done) and it looks like a good little coming of age film.  I’ll give it a watch soon, if Netflix don’t take it down! 

21 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I have, it’s hilarious.  Watched the trailer for it earlier (which is probably more than anyone who’s complaining about it has actually done) and it looks like a good little coming of age film.  I’ll give it a watch soon, if Netflix don’t take it down! 

Marketing team at Netflix really did the film a disservice. When I first saw the poster and read the description I was honestly disturbed and turned myself into a Karen, I was looking for the Manager at Netflix...lol...no seriously I felt the original marketing was promoting child predation:

Original tagline: "Amy, 11, becomes fascinated with a twerking dance crew. Hoping to join them, she starts to explore her femininity, defying her family’s traditions."

New tagline: "Eleven-year-old Amy starts to revel against her conservative family’s traditions when she becomes fascinated with a free-spirited dance crew."

The new one is much better but still using "free spirited dance crew"...11 year olds shouldnt be "free spirited" as to me that has always meant a woman that sleeps around like dudes do. But yes, reading alternative descriptions of the film really intrigued me and the trailer does look good and if i had daughters, bet your *ss we'd be watching it on Sept 9. Netflix really did the film a terrible disservice using the original tagline and the image they had chosen, plus who wants to see 11 year olds Twerking? These competitions really exist? thats horrible. I mean, i feel the same way about child pageants and stuff so its not just the Twerking for me.  Watching the trailer, the film doesnt even feature Twerking and more about how this girl discovers that adult stuff should be left to the adults. Anyways, the point is how does a team at Netflix reread the orginal description with that poster and not say....'Hmmmm too cringy, sending wrong message about what the film is actually about." I mean, come on people. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Chadwick Boseman movie next month? 

Just read that he has passed away from colon cancer at such a young age, 43.  May make Da 5 Bloods an extra choice unless you guys have a better suggestion.  

RIP

Wakanda Forever