RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

Here is a film I bought a very, very long time ago and never watched it. I nominate:

B04qCZJ.jpg?1

I usually will nominate something different once my selection has already received a nom but I have always wanted to watch this and i haven't had my Naomi Watts fix in a long time, so im with DJ.

Edited by Con
  • Like 2

I need to start placing bets on roulette wheels the luck I'm having with these spins.

I love Mullholland drive, it's one of those films I will never tire of watching. And a bit like my horror pick, you probably won't understand what has happened right after it finishes (even more so in this case I think). In fact I seem to recall David Lynch being quoted as saying it was made to be deliberately confusing because he wanted people to start discussing it on line right after seeing it.

And very happy to see Hunt for Red October win as it's one of those films I have never seen but feel I should have done by now.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, djw180 said:

In fact I seem to recall David Lynch being quotef as saying it was made to be deliberately confusing because he wanted people to start discussing it on line right after seeing it.

I can sense some questions being asked here 😄 I've seen it a few times and I'm still pretty lost about a lot of things, but I think I have the main plot covered...I think.

15 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I can sense some questions being asked here 😄 I've seen it a few times and I'm still pretty lost about a lot of things, but I think I have the main plot covered...I think.

I remember a website set up to show you what to pay attention to when seeing it again, supposedly written / approved by the director. The only thing I remember was 'pay attention to the telephone and the lamp'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, djw180 said:

I remember a website set up to show you what to pay attention to when seeing it again, supposedly written / approved by the director. The only thing I remember was 'pay attention to the telephone and the lamp'.

I think I just found it.  I'll quote it here:

"The idea leading his viewers on a paper-chase seems a little unconvincing as it goes against Lynch's usual habit of letting his work stand alone. I think you have to consider the fact that Lynch was pressured to come up with these clues by the French production company that was losing millions. When these were released the film was a disaster financially and the general buzz at that time was there was no plot to figure out. I think the clues are important and relevant but not necessarily the 10 clues Lynch would really give if he wanted us to figure out what his exact intentions were. He had said before these were released and after they were released that he would never reveal what MD meant to him, it was up to everyone to have their own vision."

1. Pay particular attention to the beginning of the film: At least two clues are revealed before the credits.

2. Notice appearances of the red lampshade.

3. Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?

4. An accident is a terrible event … Notice the location of the accident.

5. Who gives a key, and why?

6. Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.

7. What is felt, realised and gathered at the club Silencio?

8. Did talent alone help Camilla?

9. Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind 'Winkies'.

10. Where is Aunt Ruth?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

GL8fqQS.jpg

Can't wait to read everyone's opinions now. lmao

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Happy Red October won.

Me too. As I have never watched it. In fact, I haven’t watched either of the two films for this month. 
Tonight I dine with Jacob’s Ladder.  So review will be up soon. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Con said:

It's that time again!!! Genre nomination timeWoooooooo! @LimeGreenLegendare we going with the festive genre or keeping it open? 

We're keeping it Christmassy, and doing a double feature with one traditional Christmas film and one alternative Christmas film!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Con said:

My December nominees... I'll wait for the official post to nominate.

You can make it official by making the first nominations!  I'll have to think about it while I'm at work, but I have some ideas.

Traditional: Home Alone

Alternative: Gremlins

I thought about the Star Wars Holiday special but no one deserves to be put through that. There is the new version but that’s Disney plus only so it’s very limited for who can watch it. 

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 1

@Squirrel we did Gremlins last Christmas if you wanna pick another nomination.

My picks are:

Trad - It's a Wonderful Life

Alt - gonna go with @djw180 and pick Brazil, one of my favourite films ever (and one that I forgot was set at Christmas until I saw it nominated here).

The winners will be picked sometime on Saturday 🙂 

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1