RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

Missing in Action is a Chuck Norris War Film! Lmao. Thing is the Chuck film I had in mind has no war theme. lol.

Im really torn between four films...one very haunting and rough even for me. The second one is a fun sci-fi war theme. The third one I nominated earlier in the year, but I think I’m going to nominate this:

Caterpillar (2010)

• Like 2

I'll go with Stalingrad, the 1993 German version.

I did consider Das Boot but thought the combination of length and sub titles could offend some people. Also had a strong consideration of Pans Labyrinth, not really a war movie as such but takes part in one and is absolutely awesome. 

Edited by doubleg213
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, doubleg213 said:

I'll go with Stalingrad, the 1993 German version.

I did consider Das Boot but thought the combination of length and sub titles could offend some people. Also had a strong consideration of Pans Labyrinth, not really a war movie as such but takes part in one and is absolutely awesome. 

We should make Pan's Labyrinth a Film Club Extra in the future just cause I remember it being pretty awesome. It is classified as a War/Fantasy film so according to our criteria, Pan qualifies. Just in case you want to change it. Oh and don't worry about subtitled films or length being an issue, we watch what the wheel picks no matter what and as someone once said, "...this film club ain't for basic b*tches." 😂

Edited by Con
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Con said:

We should make Pan's Labyrinth a Film Club Extra in the future just cause I remember it being pretty awesome. It is classified as a War/Fantasy film so according to our criteria, Pan qualifies. Just in case you want to change it. Oh and don't worry about subtitled films or length being an issue, we watch what the wheel picks no matter what and as someone once said, "...this film club ain't for basic b*tches." 😄 

I'll stick with the German Stalingrad, Pan's Labyrinth as a Film Club extra sounds good.

These days I actually watch more non English films than I do Hollywood stuff, there is so much good stuff out there to watch rather than just constantly seeing Hollywood churning out things with numbers in the title because it's less risky. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, doubleg213 said:

These days I actually watch more non English films than I do Hollywood stuff, there is so much good stuff out there to watch rather than just constantly seeing Hollywood churning out things with numbers in the title because it's less risky. 

I am so with you. I approach film from the screenwriting and is why I have to ask...do I want to write something that will probably never see the light of day, unless I create it myself, or do I want to increase my chances of selling something by writing a prequel or sequel or supplemental piece? 
As an unknown and a nobody in the industry, my Toy Story 7 script might get read before my original Reaper’s Blossom.

Thank the movie gods for independent films! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, doubleg213 said:

but thought the combination of length and sub titles could offend some people.

I was going to nominate the 9 hour holocaust documentary Shoah 😄 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Con said:

I am so with you. I approach film from the screenwriting and is why I have to ask...do I want to write something that will probably never see the light of day, unless I create it myself, or do I want to increase my chances of selling something by writing a prequel or sequel or supplemental piece? 
As an unknown and a nobody in the industry, my Toy Story 7 script might get read before my original Reaper’s Blossom.

Thank the movie gods for independent films! 

I didn't know you did some writing? Professionally or just something you enjoy and/or you're trying to get into?

A friend of mine does it professionally, although I think his self created theatre stuff years ago was a lot better than some of the Hollywood stuff he does, not sure how much of that is him and how much is studio interference. 

There is decent stuff coming out of America still, but as you say, it's mostly the independent stuff or the occasional not quite huge studio stuff like Hell of High Water.

16 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I watched that some time ago, it's very good (not really the best descriptor I guess), but I think I would have baulked at that one a bit.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, doubleg213 said:

These days I actually watch more non English films than I do Hollywood stuff

What you been watching lately?  I've recently got into Fellini.  Nights of Cabiria is one of the best films I've ever seen.

I've not been watching quite as much of late because I've been swamped between work and Uni.

Had a bit of a Kurosawa binge the other week as I hadn't watched any of them for quite some time, weirdly it was the fact that in The Deuce they mentioned Rashomon which I hadn't seen in ages so I binged that, Stray Dog, Yojimno and Ikuru. I think Ikuru is my favourite of his, but you could ask me again in a few days and I'd say something different.

I also rewatched Le Samourai as I love the stuff Melville and Delon have done. It owes a lot to Seven Samurai but then also spawned Ghost Dog and Drive which are essentially just modern versions of it in my opinion.

• Like 2

I need to re-watch Ghost Dog.  In fact, I need to re-watch a lot of Jarmusch's films.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Seen it. 🥺

I watched four amazing hours of that 80’s Horror Documentary: In Search of Darkness a few months ago. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, doubleg213 said:

I didn't know you did some writing? Professionally or just something you enjoy and/or you're trying to get into?

Just for fun. I get a thrill imagining that someone would buy one of my story ideas. I was thinking of entering a script competition this year, just for the experience. 

• Like 1

I can’t be away for long and you all decline in quality!! I cannot believe nobody nominated Good Morning Vietname! 

Oh well, guess I’ll have to watch Max Manus then... 😂

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

I can’t be away for long and you all decline in quality!! I cannot believe nobody nominated Good Morning Vietname! 

Oh well, guess I’ll have to watch Max Manus then... 😂

There you are!!! Was hoping we hadn't lost you. And dont worry, i have a feeling there wont be sloppy spaghetti eating scenes in Max Manus. 😄 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have watched the last two films for the club, but due to unfortunate circumstances I've not had the time nor the inclination to write up my long *ss notes, but they are coming.  

Nevertheless, it's nearing the end of the month and we need a new category for June.  As always, I'll kick things off by suggesting Palme d'Or winners. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palme_d'Or

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 2

Still haven't watched the last film, wife not being at work means I rarely get the tele. 

But for next month I would like to nominate is sports

• Like 3

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

12 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

80s Animated movies featuring transforming robots. 

Ahhh you must mean this classic 

• Haha 1

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

June nominations so far:

Palme d'Or winners

Surrealist

Sports x2

Dark comedy

Car film

Biopic

Danny Boyle

Sports comedy ( @TheBoyBry nomination from chatbox)

Fantasy

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1