LimeGreenLegend

Genre noms so far:

Female directed film (x4)

Joel Schumacher films

Dark comedy

Sports films

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 2

The winner for July's genre/category is...

mk14zrc.jpg

Not too much of a surprise as it covered more than half the wheel!

I'll kick off the film nominations with Lynne Ramsay's You Were Never Really Here.

@Con will spin for the winner sometime this weekend,  so get your nominations in quick!

• Like 2

So the first film that came to mind was the splendid,  The Hurt Locker (2008) Kathryn Bigelow. I have never watched Monster (2003) Patty Jenkins [ I love me some Charlize Theron no matter what her face looks like]. Then there is the film that obliterated the "Laverne" image of the Director and the same person responsible for launching Tom Hanks into the upper stratosphere of bankable Hollywood stars and that film was, Big (1988) Penny Marshall. I had those on the tip of my fingers but there is one movie that has my heart from the moment I saw it and I have watched it over 30 times and still love it and will probably watch it by years end anyways and that's American Psycho.

I do remember seeing "A Mary Harron Film" in the opening credits and thinking, "oh this is directed by a woman? A serial killer film, that's interesting." But 20 minutes into the film, none of that mattered as I just took in everything I was watching and hearing and it had my full attention. Loved and scorned. Criticized for it's violence back then proves the absurdity of the critics when now we celebrate films like John Wick which FEATURE plenty of murder. LMAO. 

I started becoming a film fan in 2002, thanks to two films I watched that year that became more than just entertainment to me and they were, The Shawshank Redemption and American Psycho. All that being said, Im also excited because some of the nominees already posted, I have never heard of, so thats real cool. Spinning the wheel might be too much... @LimeGreenLegend would you mind spinning for the film too? Hahhhaa American Psycho is one of my Top 5!! I dunno if i can spin the dirty thang without feeling like ya gonna think I cheated if my selection wins. 😄 

Edited by Con
  • Like 2

American Psycho was female directed? 

Never even realised it and that’s a brave film subject to take on. I’ve read the book and it’s certainly an interesting read

I was considering The Hurt Locker or Zero Dark Thirty but @Con you have me convinced to add a second vote for American Psycho

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Never even realised it and that’s a brave film subject to take on. I’ve read the book and it’s certainly an interesting read
I was considering The Hurt Locker or Zero Dark Thirty but @Con you have me convinced to add a second vote for American Psycho

Awesome! I believe the book is more graphic and more detailed about the era the story is set in from what I have researched,  I have never read the book because I was satisfied with the film. But its always been on my reading list. 

• Like 1

Film nominations so far:

You Were Never Really Here

Holy Smoke!

We Need to Talk About Kevin 

American Psycho (x2)

Point Break

A League of Their Own

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Con said:

Awesome! I believe the book is more graphic and more detailed about the era the story is set in from what I have researched,  I have never read the book because I was satisfied with the film. But its always been on my reading list. 

The book is a lot darker than the film. There are parts of it that could never be shown on film at the time although things may have changed in the last 20 years regarding censorship but still some haunting scenes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

The book is a lot darker than the film. There are parts of it that could never be shown on film at the time although things may have changed in the last 20 years regarding censorship but still some haunting scenes. 

Yeah, the chapter "Killing Child at Zoo" is pretty rough.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I forgot about that part. Must have used mind bleach to remove it from my brain. 

It is actually a very well written book despite the horrors within. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Sounds more like the film, "The House That Jack Built" than "American Psycho". I think the contrast in both universes is awesome. In Jack, the contrast is between himself and with Patrick the contrasts are all around him. 

"...With goat cheese profiteroles and I also have an arugula Caesar salad. For entrées tonight I have a swordfish meatloaf with onion marmalade, a rare-roasted partridge breast in raspberry coulis with a sorrel timbale...And grilled free-range rabbit with herbed French fries. Our pasta tonight is a squid ravioli in a lemon grass broth..."

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Squirrel said:

She also wrote the screenplay with her writing partner, another woman, her name Guinevere Turner. And I think that is how I fell in love with the film, the screenplay, after watching the film a few times I learned that the screenplay was online and when i read it, I said, I want to write a screenplay...and that sparked my curiosity as until then, i thought the Director just shot scenes using minimal outlines....never had I imagined or been told, Scripts Birth Films!! As ignorant as it sounds I was almost 30 when I learned about the true power of screenplays. I had no idea how the industry worked. 

Edited by Con

This is an amazing movie, but might be too hard to find for the film club. If so I will change my nomination, but for know:

The Adventures of Prince Achmed, by Lotte Reinegerd from 1926. 

Its an animated movie, one of the best I have ever seen.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

This is an amazing movie, but might be too hard to find for the film club. If so I will change my nomination, but for know:

The Adventures of Prince Achmed, by Lotte Reinegerd from 1926. 

Its an animated movie, one of the best I have ever seen.

Only version I found was on You Tube and it was 26 minutes long. Is it that short? 

54 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

but might be too hard to find for the film club

I think you've gone just a tad too obscure here, and that's me saying that 😄 

It does look good though, and I've added it to my personal watchlist 🙂 

Happy Return of the Living Dead Day!!!

Another film from my Top 10 List! 

image.jpeg.5f67f7413cac1a4093828e86a5d04935.jpeg
Only 1.5 hours to go before the nightmare begins. lol. 

“Do you wanna party? It’s party time!!!”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I think you've gone just a tad too obscure here, and that's me saying that 😄 

It does look good though, and I've added it to my personal watchlist 🙂 

Well, taking that into consideration (I want to know what you think about that one),  I nominate Point Break by Katherine Bigelow (James Cameron’s partner in 1991). 

• Like 2

If there's anyone who is a regular contributor to this who hasn't had a film of theirs picked yet let me know and maybe next month we can have a special selection 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

If there's anyone who is a regular contributor to this who hasn't had a film of theirs picked yet let me know and maybe next month we can have a special selection 🙂 

I believe that won’t include me, then? 
😂

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Haha 2