RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

29 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

How do you sort out solo artists when they do work away from their main group? Do you put Phil Collins next to Genesis or before Queen? 

In the unlikely event I find a Phil Collins CD in my collection I would put it in the bin.

• Haha 2

Phil Collins goes in the P or C and when he's with Genesis he goes in the G of course. 

Same with George Michael under G or M and under W when recording as Wham! 

1 minute ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@Con you able to spin that thing sometime today?

Yeah I’m just real busy at the moment. You can do what we did last month. You spin genre and I’ll do the movie. Right now I don’t think I’ll be able to spin the wheel for about 3-4 hours. 

Just now, Con said:

You spin genre and I’ll do the movie.

You wanna make this the usual thing from now on?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

You wanna make this the usual thing from now on?

Sure.
in fact, I have no issues handing the entire spinning operation over to you if you want it. I won’t feel bad if I no longer get to spin the wheel. 

7 minutes ago, Con said:

Sure.
in fact, I have no issues handing the entire spinning operation over to you if you want it. I won’t feel bad if I no longer get to spin the wheel. 

I still want you involved dude 🙂 

Here's this month's winning genre...

A6uxGCx.jpg

I'll kick off the film nominations by picking...

Akira Kurosawa's Ran (1985)

• Like 1

Is there any definition on what a war film is? It’s such a huge genre and the amount of films this could include is astronomical. I could even nominate Transformers The Movie again (which I won’t) as it is a film about a war between two factions. 

Should we be nominating a particular era or type of film? Should be be choosing historical or fictional conflicts? Starship Troopers for example is a fantastic war film which parodies a lot of real life propaganda and recruitment but it’s presented in a science fiction setting in a war vs aliens. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

Is there any definition on what a war film is? It’s such a huge genre and the amount of films this could include is astronomical. I could even nominate Transformers The Movie again (which I won’t) as it is a film about a war between two factions. 

Should we be nominating a particular era or type of film? Should be be choosing historical or fictional conflicts? Starship Troopers for example is a fantastic war film which parodies a lot of real life propaganda and recruitment but it’s presented in a science fiction setting in a war vs aliens. 

War is war.  Historical or fictional.  Sci-fi or musical (yes there are musical war films).  Let's not get bogged down in the specifics.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

War is war.  Historical or fictional.  Sci-fi or musical (yes there are musical war films).  Let's not get bogged down in the specifics.

In that case I’ll nominate Battle: Los Angeles.  
For a cheesy action film this was pretty good in my opinion. (at least from what I remember it’s been a while 🙂 )

C6421B66-04CC-40BE-BA6C-DC2EBE4C12A1.jpeg

Edited by omarcomin71
  • Like 2

May nominations so far:

Ran

The Longest Day

Max Manus: Man of War

Battle: Los Angeles

A Bridge too Far (x2)

Dunkirk

Caterpillar

Stalingrad

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

51QHT91JA4L._AC_SY445_.jpg

b*stard! That was my choice lol

I can't decide between 3, I'm gonna go foooooooooor a bridge too far. 

• Like 4

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

2 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

b*stard! That was my choice lol

I can't decide between 3, I'm gonna go foooooooooor a bridge too far. 

The Longest Day and A Bridge too Far are both based on books by the same author, and both films star Sean Connery.  Both are also excellent.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

The Longest Day and A Bridge too Far are both based on books by the same author, and both films star Sean Connery.  Both are also excellent.

I never knew Cornelius Ryan wrote the book for The Longest Day as well. I may have get it. I've read his The Bridge Too Far book a couple of times.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, djw180 said:

I never know Cornelius Ryan wrote the book for that as well. I may have get it. I read his The Bridge Too Far book a couple of times.

He has another famous WW2 book called The Last Battle, about the battle of Berlin.  I don't think that's been made into a film.

I do love a Bridge Too Far. Could definitely watch that again. 

I won’t add a third nomination for it though. I’m going to go for a film that does have personal meaning to myself as my Grandad was one of those involved in the actual battle the film commemorates.

Christopher Nolans Dunkirk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1