Headset options and communication

JustHatched

I'd still recommend the Sony Gold Wireless Headset if anyone is still looking for more options.

I've had mine about a year and a half now, and have yet to have any issues at all.  Best money I've ever spent considering how many less than stellar headsets I went through prior to buying them.

You must have a tiny head! LOL! The sound quality and function is great with those. They are pretty flimsy and have a known problem for cracking.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• zztop911

• JustHatched

• Pb76

1 hour ago, DavidCore89 said:

Razer Kraken Pro V2, usually discounted on Amazon. Wired, but one of the best.

Seems to be retailing at £80 pretty much everywhere (according to Google), what sort of price would you say they were worth?

I'm happy with my good budget headset at the moment but there are definitely things that could be better. So if that one is something that's likely to discount I'll keep an eye out :)

Also damn you all for making a headset such a necessity :P

• Haha 1

I like the Sony Gold, sound quality and not having wires at all or an external mic is excellent, although it does crack really easily (mines is being held together with tape currently) 

37 minutes ago, The_Lady_A said:

Seems to be retailing at £80 pretty much everywhere (according to Google), what sort of price would you say they were worth?

I'm happy with my good budget headset at the moment but there are definitely things that could be better. So if that one is something that's likely to discount I'll keep an eye out :)

70 or less would be a good deal, it's better than the equivalent Turtle Beach.

I've seen it even cheaper, so you might see it discounted over the next month or so.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Crawford1872 said:

I like the Sony Gold, sound quality and not having wires at all or an external mic is excellent, although it does crack really easily (mines is being held together with tape currently) 

Vast majority of those will break. It's good, but build quality vs equivalent rivals stops it being one of the best.

1 minute ago, DavidCore89 said:

Vast majority of those will break. It's good, but build quality vs equivalent rivals stops it being one of the best.

Agreed, I got it for £40 which meant I was more okay with knowing it would probably fall apart haha

• 4 weeks later...

I recently purchased a '7.1 Channel USB External Sound Card Audio Adapter'  from amazon to plug my mic into via a audio/mic splitter which is necessary for the mic to work for whatever reason & it sounds so much more better. I can hear footsteps, ambient, gun shot and vehicle sounds from the direction they are coming from clearly. The gun shot sounds across 4 different games are much more pronounced and aggressive.

I bought it for what I had reseached about the chip which is great when it comes to the mic, but the build quality of the plastic housing & the USB connector are sturdy, I tried to open it to note the chip but to no avail. I recommend a USB 2.0 extension cable specifically to remedy that connector issue or noise on the cable.  

Screw the original reason I purchased this, which was for the mic output & low gain, game play sounds a whole lot better when plugged into this thing. This is the only way to, listen to fps games now. Might need an extra one just incase and the mute button is very handy got more than what I paid for now I literally flinch at times because of the loudness of rifles going off in some game.  

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2017 at 2:35 PM, Crawford1872 said:

"Crack easily" might be somewhat of an understantement. Here's mine:

20180119_195316.jpg

I do love the sound quality and functionality, and it's funny that although it's broken in 3 places for more than a year it still works wonders.

If you've got strong tape it's an excellent piece of hardware. ?

On 1/19/2018 at 2:06 PM, LimeGreenLegend said:

I’ve had my gold headset for over 2 years and it’s still not cracked.  What are you people doing that they break so easily? :P

Sorry Lime, but you must have a tiny head! :P

Pete

I have settled on Turtlebeach Ear Force 400. Comfortable, long lasting battery, great sound separation...not Dolby and hasn't cracked in over 8 months or so. Construction SEEMS flimsy and light, but they have held up. Walmart had them, but I just searched and Target has them.

Only downside is that you lose a usb port and will need a two or three port usb hub in order to hook it up due to stupid placement on the optical port on the dongle. It was the same for the LucidSound - LS40 Wireless  headphones I had for a while. The LucidSound - LS40 was outstandingly built and sounding set. They had a problem of disconnecting and connecting after some time of use. Crying shame too, because they were great headphones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a tip video for those who ask why their voices don't show up in my videos. Nothing sadder than you cracking an epic joke or making a hilarious comment, only for your voice not to be heard in the video. I will surely try the raising mic level, lowering game audio so our voices aren't drowned out by the game audio as it currently does in videos. 

• Like 2

I hate the fact that he used still images, anyways the only part where I disagree with the guy in the video is when it comes to the 'Adjust Microphone Level' which is subjective to each microphone, he some what admitted that in the video.

As you here him speak you can hear the feedback because of one of two common reasons, his PS4 usb ports are set to charge the controller in rest mode or his mic level is too high. 

To resolve the USB power issue on the ps4, go to Settings>Power Save Settings>Set Features Available in Rest Mode>Supply Power to USB Ports  - set to off

To resolve the Adjust Microphone Level issue to to get the perfect gain you would record a quiet game with sharefactory starting from a high microphone level, save & listen the video & repeat that method moving the mic level lower with each recording until feedback is nonexistent in that video.  

When in a Party Chat hold down PS button>Party Chat>Adjust Audio Mix & slide to Party Audio to hear Party Chat alot better. 

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

To resolve the USB power issue on the ps4, go to Settings>Power Save Settings>Set Features Available in Rest Mode>Supply Power to USB Ports  - set to off

in a Party Chat hold down PS button>Party Chat>Adjust Audio Mix & slide to Party Audio to hear Party Chat alot better. 

1. What exactly is USB power issue?

2. I saw that Audio Mix option when I got home and made sure my settings were up to date and saw that I had never played with the mixer. Can't wait for the next playlist.

Thanks for your knowledge, Smurf!

• Like 1

When the above usb option is on it sends more current through the USB port to charge the controller or what ever you plug into it, but when the USB device receive that extra power it's not designed to use it result in a humming or buzzing noise, but when the option is off the usb sends the right amount of current to the usb device.  Also the mic distance to mouth makes a difference as well. 

Edited by Smurf

Mic maxed? That dude is clinically insane, someone lock him up.

I use default +1 in GTA and lowest in pCARS. Different games have different levels.

Something which really grinds my gears is the guys with mic on, chat to mic, game sound through TV :FIRE: Or even worse, all sounds through TV with mic on :SURPRISE:

11 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Something which really grinds my gears is the guys with mic on, chat to mic, game sound through TV :FIRE: Or even worse, all sounds through TV with mic on :SURPRISE:

+1. That echo is torturous and maddening.

1 hour ago, DavidCore89 said:

I go after idiots in a lobby with the TV or radio with music going in the background.

Because Fat Buds Matter!