Headset options and communication

JustHatched

I'm sorry I didn't post this sooner.....dunno why I didn't.

Back in March, I bought the new Sony - Platinum Wireless 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound Gaming Headset.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-platinum-wireless-7-1-virtual-surround-sound-gaming-headset-for-playstation-4-black/5619302.p?skuId=5619302

The construction is VASTLY improved, especially over the Sony Golds. They still fold up. a feature that I wished was removed, but the joint is improved over the Golds. The are slightly heavy after wearing them over a couple hours, but a little adjustment relieves it. Ear pads are very soft and durable. Battery life will exceed your ability to play. LOL! While not the claimed 15 hours, it's well over 9 hours in one sitting.

The sound separation is great in GTA, but on game that FULLY supports  3D sound( as in RDR2), it's simply amazing.  You can detect if sounds are above or below you. right or left. Sounds are very easily pinpointed. There are pre-sets for games that can be dl to the headset. Controls are easy to use and beep faster when at max setting either way. The control for mixing game to chat volume is easy with one control, but I prefer separate control. It's still easy to find a happy medium between the two. Range is on par with the LucidSound - LS40. The dongle is  simple and requires only to plug in to any usb port, unlike the LucidSound - LS40  that work on a different type of comm system. I have it on the rear port on the Pro.

The sound quality is on par with the LucidSound - LS40 on non-3D enhanced games, but at a slightly lower game sound volume. Chat sound quality is very good and your game sounds don't come across the mike for other players. There is a companion app you can dl on the PlayStation and load up a preset or your custom sound setting and you can tell the difference in the custom settings.

They have stood up very well over the past little over 4 months. They still feel and look like they came out of the box.

So far..................they are a great purchase and I highly recommend them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• zztop911

• JustHatched

• Pb76

Looking at the Sony Platinum Headset above appears to have better quality in material when it comes to the ear cushions. The Sony Gold Wireless ($100 each) that I've purchased twice had that cheap ear cushion which would deteriorate after a while and the damn hinges always broke!  

So, with that being said, I was browsing through Wal-Mart online and saw that the Astro A10's were for $60! I have slightly high hopes since I own a brand new (used twice to test audio and stream) Astro A40's that I don't want to use yet.. (yeah, you're probably like my sister tellin' me why the hell I waste money to be a new headset when I have this brand new one I haven't even used), but it's just how I am.. I don't know what I'm waiting for (maybe when I build my gaming PC), but either way.. I bought the Astro A10's. It's wired, so you'd have to plug it into the PS4 controller which is going to be an adjustment for me since I prefer it wireless. The ear cushion seems to have that memory foam quality which put a smile on my face! This doesn't have that feature like the Sony Gold Headset where you can adjust the volume between party chat and in-game audio; you only have the ability to put the volume lower or higher. I haven't used my headset enough to provide much detail, but overall the sound quality is great. Re-watching yesterday's stream in GTA w/ Proto, Smurf, and Sinister - listening to my mic quality was crystal clear. 

Makes me suspicious a bit as to why they're only $60 since the Astro A40's I bought were $150, but I guess we'll wait and see.

xnrq05.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sony make good sounding headphones & headsets, but it's not so for the quality of the hardware. I had to 3d print my xb950bt hinges & made my own ear pads because I know I bought it from Sony will fall apart in no time.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Sony make good sounding headphones & headsets, but it's not so for the quality of the hardware. I had to 3d print my xb950bt hinges & made my own ear pads because I know I bought it from Sony will fall apart in no time.

The new Platinums are Quite a step above all of Sony's past products.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!