Coronavirus Pandemic

JustHatched

Damn, the US getting it hard :classic_sad:

We're now at 166 deaths and nearly 3200 cases, which is more than other countries with 3 times our population.

With all these c*nts sunbathing, hanging out at parks or just ignoring the rules, it's just gonna go on and on. Not everyone in the UK has a bailout from the government or has been sent home on 80% pay  :default_fire:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Damn, the US getting it hard

I was reading something the other day that the US should be split via state rather than a single country. If you combined all of Europe together it has a more comparable population to the US so would have a similar trajectory, plus different states have different routes of action which matches what different countries are doing within Europe. 

• Like 3

Last updated: April 06, 2020, 10:27am GMT

tn_as-flag.gif Australia

Coronavirus Cases: 5,795 (0.00023% of population)

Deaths: 39

Recovered: 2,432 (41.967% of cases)

Infection rates are decreasing daily. With some hope, we could be clear here in the next month or two as long as people continue to follow isolation and social restriction orders, and we keep our borders closed. Right now we have a cruise ship with approx. 200 infected docked in Sydney, so I don't see things being clear for us anytime soon.

We have a smaller population that's already spead out more than most, so distancing is less of an issue compared to places such as China and Italy for example. We also had our first cases several weeks after other developed nations so could learn from them, and have for a long time had a strong healthcare system.

We're still 'the lucky country', and I think that holds true now as much as it ever has, maybe more.

Edited by Skorpion
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

I was reading something the other day that the US should be split via state rather than a single country. If you combined all of Europe together it has a more comparable population to the US so would have a similar trajectory, plus different states have different routes of action which matches what different countries are doing within Europe. 

Yeah, very good point.

• Like 1

Yes, the illustration i posted dont take into account the population (as in %) and comparing the levels is not that relevant, but the trend is clear.  To take from it might be that Europe might see a more flatten curve takings shape already, and that the US might be a few days/weeks behind.

Damn its hard to express some things when ones English suck.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

I sort of agree. Even here our state governments are doing their own thing, though there's a lot of collaboration with the federal government, and the USA population is 13.5 times more than ours.

I'm not sure that considering each state seperately would be the right way to go though, or else dividing every highly populated country into states/counties/provinces would be necessary, and still wouldn't provide an accurate reflection.

Just consider the % of population, as it's probably the best reflection and can be used to compare contries such as USA, with smaller countries such as Australia, Sweden, England, France, Italy, etc, as well as larger countries such as China, or unions such as the UK or EU. % is the best way to go, as no country or union is equal.

Edited by Skorpion
  • Like 1

The US should be counted by states because the majority of our cases are in just a few of them while most of the others have much lower infection rates. 

The first deaths in my county happened over the weekend. 

Guys, anymore and the thread gets temporarily locked again.

Take it to PM if you want to discuss further along these lines.

• Like 4

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

1 minute ago, Sinister said:

The US should be counted by states because the majority of our cases are in just a few of them while most of the others have much lower infection rates. 

The first deaths in my county happened over the weekend. 

Actually cities would be even better. Look where all the hotspots are.................large cities.... DUH! More people per square mile equal higher infection rates.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Jesus! Ya didn't have to REMOVE my posts, you could have edited what you didn't like.

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

2 hours ago, zztop911 said:

Jesus! Ya didn't have to REMOVE my posts, you could have edited what you didn't like.

I will. Just hid them while I was trying to eat lunch. 

• Like 1

Lets hope that the increase in the USA follow the pattern seen in europe and slow down during the next week.

X-axis being days.

yUVdyAx.png

yUVdyAx.png

All of the coastal car parks in my county have been closed because of people swarming to the beach. Both of the car parks where my parents walk the dogs have been closed too. My dad got back to his van yesterday and the police were there but left without talking to him. There are police everywhere now. Our youngest dalmatian is very high energy and would become destructive if he doesn't get walked so hoping it doesn't come to that. 

With all the new admissions comin' into our substance abuse/chemical dependency treatment recovery facility.. I'm just waiting for someone to get positive, so we can shut down.

Another thing to remember about the stats on infection rates is that is highly dependent on how much testing is going on, and that varies a lot. The city where I live, Sheffield, has the second highest number of cases as a proportion of total population in the UK after London. But that, it is said, is because Sheffield hospitals set up their own testing centre so are simply doing more tests than most other parts of the UK.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, djw180 said:

Another thing to remember about the stats on infection rates is that is highly dependent on how much testing is going on, and that varies a lot. The city where I live, Sheffield, has the second highest number of cases as a proportion of total population in the UK after London. But that, it is said, is because Sheffield hospitals set up their own testing centre so are simply doing more tests than most other parts of the UK.

Similar reason why Newport in South Wales has the most cases per 100K in the UK - more testing going on there apparently due to it being on the England/Wales border.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, punkbish85 said:

With all the new admissions comin' into our substance abuse/chemical dependency treatment recovery facility.. I'm just waiting for someone to get positive, so we can shut down.

Hey! Theres somebody we havent seen in a while. Welcome back. 

Dodgeservice.png

On 4/6/2020 at 11:47 AM, Sinister said:

Keep it on topic folks and leave politics out of it. 

Good catch @Sinister

23 hours ago, zztop911 said:

The removed posts are a directive from Hatch and myself to keep this topic from spiraling and being shutdown. 

• Like 2

Dodgeservice.png

3 hours ago, Lann said:

A hospital in a medium size swedish town tested all nurses and half of them had the virus, none had symptoms. 

That is interesting. Maybe they are more immune to it because they are constantly hanging around sick people? 

1 minute ago, Fido_le_muet said:

That is interesting. Maybe they are more immune to it because they are constantly hanging around sick people? 

Symptoms can take a week or so to show.