Coronavirus Pandemic

JustHatched

Gonna go get some supplies this morning.  Store reserves the first hour for  oldies and disabled vets. I qualify fer both. 😛

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Some states have determined cannabis dispensaries are essential and will remain open. LoL!

• Haha 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

18 minutes ago, Con said:

Good. No one is hoarding the Kush. 😄 

Speak fer yourself!!

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

Noticed the online grocery delivery slots available are now 3 days away instead of the regular next day. But no shortage of anything.

Went to the gym for the first time in 3 weeks on my lunchbreak, only a handful of people there.

Picked up some lunch at the local italian place, hoping they will stay in business. 

2 hours ago, Sinister said:

Our grocery was devastated yesterday. No milk, cheese, beef, etc. 

Last week the grocery stores here in San Diego were the same.  However it seems after the initial surge and everyone has what they need for awhile supplies are being replenished.

6 minutes ago, Lann said:

Noticed the online grocery delivery slots available are now 3 days away instead of the regular next day. But no shortage of anything.

Went to the gym for the first time in 3 weeks on my lunchbreak, only a handful of people there.

Picked up some lunch at the local italian place, hoping they will stay in business. 

Here our regular grocery delivery company has the slots filled for the next 2 weeks. Meh...

I know, being a loyal customer does not count when the whole world is panicking....

Stores are pretty ok btw... I still don't get the toilet paper shelf annihilation that returns every few days. How much sh*t must come out of these people!

I think someone has explained to Trump that Covid-19 is bad news for golf courses and hotels. While experts and other representatives say it needs to get much worse before it gets better, Trump is signaling a reopening soon whilst bringing some solid logic to the table;

"You look at automobile accidents, which are far greater than any numbers we´re talking about. That doesn't mean we´re going to tell everybody no more driving of cars. So we have to do things to get our country open".

Charlie Day Ok GIF

In local news, the lockdown has been extended until after easter. Experts doubting we'll see schools open on this side of summer.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Haha 1

Florida is saying no to a statewide shut down. Governor is leaving it up to individual areas to make their own calls. 

Edited by Sinister

5 minutes ago, Sinister said:

Florida is saying no to a statewide shut down. Governor is leaving it up to individual areas to make their own calls. 

While there is free travel between all states then all the states should do the same thing. No point having some states locked down and not others as long as people can travel between them. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

Without sounding dumb, does not going out your home mean your garden area too? 

LOL! No.

• Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

I had to travel to Leicester on Saturday to sort some paperwork for the letting agent of the house I'll eventually be moving to, and came back today after the lockdown was declared. It has been quiet for sure, but there were definitely people around who weren't taking it seriously.

Oddly enough I must revise my view around face masks, as my best friend wore the one I gave her when we went shopping and nobody went near her. It's not quite the mechanism of protection we had in mind, but we're not going to complain that the psychological effect of a mask is waaay greater than the physical protection!

I agree that the messages from the UK government have been an ineffectual mess, too slow to act and too afraid to order people to take measures. This seems to have left them both playing catch-up with organisations like sports leagues which were suspended early; and stuck trying to pursade people & businesses to do the right thing - without enforcing it - then being upset that some people haven't listened. Who knew decades of anti-government propaganda (Red tape! Nanny state! Tired of experts! 'Elth an' safety!) would create an environment where there is resistance to government...

Supermarkets still seem to be struggling - disproportionately so as I've always found milk/bread/eggs/bog roll in smaller local shops throughout this whole thing. In that sense I think supermarkets are basically victims of their own market dominance as they've trained the shopping habits of the majority of consumers to expect endless piles of cheap stuff available 24/7.

On the slightly more encouraging side I've heard supermarkets starting to put things in place to help vulnerable people - I overheard an elderly neighbour saying that Sainsbury's had flagged her as vulnerable so she would get priority home delivery - next day instead of two-three weeks away. The only concerning thing is that actions like customer prioritization and rationing are types of market regulation - the thing central governments are supposed to be doing to ensure safety and availability. This doesn't exactly help legitimise governments that are deeply mistrusted and divisive already, right when their capacity to legislate a state-wide coordinated response makes them vital.

I am at least pleased that BoJo's lack of conviction in anything seems to have prevented him from going full Trump/ Putin/ Bolsano/ Jinping/ Kahmenei/ etc. The number of nations that seem to be putting political convenience (domestic, economic, and geopolitical) above the reality their citizens face right now is terrifying.

At least I got to see my parents and best friend before locking down. Goddess only knows when I can safely see them again. Stay safe everyone x

• Like 1

Another random question to the UK lot. Are any of you struggling to ring landlines from your mobile? 

Tried to ring my mom, nothing had to use her mobile, but I want to speak to my nan as she's stuck on her own in Assisted living and at 96 and blind, she needs a chat. I'll only be able to ring her once a week when I go to the office to pick up work

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

2 hours ago, CatManDoza said:

Without sounding dumb, does not going out your home mean your garden area too? 

looks almost identical to ours in The Netherlands. Pretty sensible...

On 3/23/2020 at 1:39 PM, The_Lady_A said:

I think a lot of people also have that zombie movie feeling, which in some unfortunately led them to contribute to the panic buying. Wrong kind of genre-savvy guys!

Yeah I agree. A LOT of people panicking as such but have the right to be because it is quite serious.

1 hour ago, The_Lady_A said:

My GP's waiting room right now:

20200326-114750.jpg

Whoever gets stuck in the chair right in the middle has got to feel pretty lonely. Probably kind of threatened too being surrounded by possible transmitters.

Things here in Australia haven't been too bad so far compared to a lot of the world. The virus is speading and it's getting faster, but our government acted quickly to boost both the economy and healthcare.

Millions of jobs have been lost, but our centrelink (social security or whatever you all call it) has helped as we have good unemployment benefits and now have increased benefits even for casual employees that have had hours reduced (amongst other benefits to help support businesses and the economy as a whole).

We're a few weeks, even months, behind places like China, Italy, France, Germany, UK, and US in terms of first cases and spread, so we're able to learn from the circumstances of the more advanced-spead counties and better prepare our healthsystem for the eventual increase in cases.

We've had deaths, and every day we're facing increased restrictions. So far, only regional/country towns have gone into lockdown, but we have closed our borders to non-residents, and all states have done the same to fellow citizens (excluding essential freight transports).

We haven't gone into full lockdown despite increased pressure and criticism from other countries, but this is something I agree with due to the effect it would have on our economy which would lead to further deaths (great depression style or worse). It's a situation that needs balanced management.

Schools aren't closed yet though some are limiting attendance to only those that must attend (children of health workers, emergency services, etc).

My personal circumstances are that I work 2 days and for only 4hrs a day, and my kids are to stay at home but their school is providing online education. I'm working my butt off to support their learning, which is easy with @Olla, but quite challenging with his younger sister.

I only leave the house when I absolutely have to (which is rarely and for very short time) but only to help reduce risk, not because I can't.

I'm honestly not scared or worried about the virus itself, though I do act responsible for the sake of others. I'm more worried about the longterm effects it'll have on the global economy so I'm grateful that our government is doing what they can to balance the risks. Though we'll still struggle and suffer, I believe we're better prepare for the aftermath than most (relative to our position prior to the outbreak).

Deaths are inevitable unfortunately, but it's a matter of how many we can prevent in the longterm.

Best wishes to all in these trying times.

Edited by Skorpion
  • Like 1