Coronavirus Pandemic

JustHatched

Recent Changes in Sweden:

A total ban of any visitors to nursing homes for elderly.

A firm request that everyone cancel any planned Eastern trips.

You are now not allowed to pick up more that 3 months supply of prescriptions drugs.

28 cases in my county now. Only 2 that require hospitalization. 

Stay at Home order for the state starting on Friday. Work already passed out our “essential business” papers. 

4 cases in my town, about 130 in my county. 

If anybody is looking, lots of big companies are mass hiring and paying bonuses for temporary workers. 

Anybody heard from @VALL_es?

Edited by Jjss924

Just taking what my boss calls a temperature check... how is everyone doing? anyone going crazy yet for being isolated? My anxiety is kicking in full gear.

4000+ deaths in France. Whole country is on lockdown since March 16th til at least April 15th (early may is more likely). I'm in one of the regions with the smallest number of cases so I'm not too worried but still being careful. 

I'm more afraid of the aftermath of this whole thing especially on the economic part. Considering how difficult it is here in France for politics to make hard decisions because of our habit to go on strike at the first occasion, I think we're gonna have a lot of difficult years ahead. Other countries will get back on track much quicker than us. I'm not scared personally cause I work in the public sector and my job is pretty much safe for life but it's probably gonna be tough with the taxes, loans, insurance and such. 

What's the situation in your respective countries? I read a bit about the international situation online but first hand reactions are so much better. How is it going in the Netherlands? I hear you guys aren't considering quarantine, contrary to the rest of the world. 

98 deaths and nearly 2000 confirmed cases in Wales (213 of those in my area).

Testing has been non-existent here, so the real number of cases is anyone's guess. Police haven't been enforcing the lockdown either.

f*ck that, I'm sticking with quarantine.

Oh yeah we're not mass testing here either. Basically you get tested if you have grave symptoms of the virus and need to be hospitalized so numbers are drastically underestimated in France. Very likely to be 3 or 4 times higher. 

4 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

4000+ deaths in France. Whole country is on lockdown since March 16th til at least April 15th (early may is more likely). I'm in one of the regions with the smallest number of cases so I'm not too worried but still being careful. 

I'm more afraid of the aftermath of this whole thing especially on the economic part. Considering how difficult it is here in France for politics to make hard decisions because of our habit to go on strike at the first occasion, I think we're gonna have a lot of difficult years ahead. Other countries will get back on track much quicker than us. I'm not scared personally cause I work in the public sector and my job is pretty much safe for life but it's probably gonna be tough with the taxes, loans, insurance and such. 

What's the situation in your respective countries? I read a bit about the international situation online but first hand reactions are so much better. How is it going in the Netherlands? I hear you guys aren't considering quarantine, contrary to the rest of the world. 

@Fido_le_muet I don't know where you got that.

Here we have a targeted lockdown since march 16th and this will last until at least the 28th of april.
The only place I go is the supermarket. But I prefer to order everything to our home.

The general rules are:

- No more than 3 people together on the streets (separated by 1.5m).  Fines are applicable up to EUR 400,- if you walk in a bigger group (that are not family).
- Everybody is urged to work from home if possible. A lot of people are doing this. I have not seen my office since the 12th of march.
- All bars/restaurants/etc. closed. Fines up to EUR 4.000,- if they do not close.
- public locations (schools, museums, theaters, etc.) are closed. Kids get school from home.
- Shops are free to open but maximum number of entrants per shop depending on size. Most are not getting a lot of customers so they close themselves or limit opening hours.
- all public meetings which need a permit are prohibited until 1st of june. So no (sporting) events, no festivals, nothing.

4 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Oh yeah we're not mass testing here either. Basically you get tested if you have grave symptoms of the virus and need to be hospitalized so numbers are drastically underestimated in France. Very likely to be 3 or 4 times higher. 

same here....

Police will probably not be arresting folks for minor crimes for a while. Keep that in mind for your own safety.

Edited by Jjss924
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jjss924 said:

Police will probably not be arresting folks for minor crimes for a while. Keep that in mind for your own safety.

Yep. Make sure you lock your doors and windows. Be vigilant. Some folks won’t have any other resources than to rob you. 

The Governor of the State of Georgia, where the CDC is located in our country,  just announced in a press conference that he just found out that Covid19 can be carried and passed by asymptomatic people!!! I mean, what the f*ck. I knew that information back in January, me and my high school level education knew more about the potential threat of this virus than a man running a state where the CDC is located. LMFAO. How the f*ck does a low level educated person like me know to get information from medical and scientific journals to keep me up to date and these folks don't? That Governor has a poor team around him. How do you find out the virus is asymptomatic in just the past 24 hours? I cant believe he would even admit that. 

• Like 2

We as a country are asked to minimize contact with others and to work from home as much as possible.

No restrictions on moving or travelling yet, most things are open, like schools and shops.

Personally i will work from home starting next week as we decided to only keep 1/3 managers on site to lower the risk of us getting sick at the same time.

Keep safe!

@Fido_le_muet You may have got Sweden and the NLs mixed up as I think it's Sweden that have 'stayed open' so to speak, which matches what Lann has just said too.

------

Back in England the fury in the English press about the government's failure to improve testing capacity is one of the very rare case I can remember where I've seen the whole spectrum of English publications in agreement on something.

7 hours ago, Schumi6581 said:

@Fido_le_muet I don't know where you got that.

2 hours ago, The_Lady_A said:

@Fido_le_muet You may have got Sweden and the NLs mixed up as I think it's Sweden that have 'stayed open' so to speak, which matches what Lann has just said too.

This is what most mainstream media and news channel are reporting about the Netherlands. That they made a choice different from most of the world and haven't declared yet, unlike almost everyone else. 

I'm glad you clarified that @Schumi6581. See, that's why I prefer first hand account. I'm sad that we can't get the correct information. 

Seems like you have a soft quarantine compared to ours. Here most work places are closed except for supermarket and pharmacies, doctors and a few others. We are not allowed to go outside except to go buy food, go to work if we can't work from home, to go help a dependant family member or friend and to do some exercise in a 1km radius around the house. The fines are 135€ and go up to 200 if you're caught again, for a maximum of 3750€ if you're caught breaking the quarantine 4 times in 30 days. 

Today we got confirmation of what we feared : there are a lot of deaths in retirement homes and the like. So far, these deaths weren't counted in the officials numbers. That's almost 1000 more deaths and that's from partial data. There's probably much more to come from that front. 

I strongly believe that numbers are gravely underestimated in France, and probably in a lot of other countries. My view about this pandemic has changed a lot since the beginning of the outbreak. At first I thought it was just a very bad case of flu but we see now that it's much more dangerous than that because it's extremely contagious and isn't just an 'elderly' disease. Everyone is at risk, even if old people are at a greater one. Stay safe people, looks like keeping away from other people is the best way to fight this sh*t. 

• Like 2

My cats are taking this VERY seriously! :default_coolglare:

Cats Practicing Social Distancing!

DSHhKz0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

@Jjss924 I'm still alive xDD

What a f*cking chaos. We've been staying at home almost a month and the situation hasn't been better. There have been some cases in my hometown, and those we know are basically because they get tested when they have obvious symptoms. At this moment there are +100,000 people infected, but as I said before, you only get tested if you have obvious symptoms, so there are probably more people infected that we don't know. I don't know where did I read it, but there was an estimation which said that real cases are 10 or more times the confirmed cases. 

I don't think it is necessary to talk about the economic consequences of this, because it is obvious what is going to happen. If France, Germany and all those countries will suffer a bit (or a lot, idk) after this, my guess is that Spain won't be exceptional. People are still suffering the consequencies of the 2008 financial crisis, so what happens in 2020 won't be anything good, for sure.

• Like 2

2 new field hospitals being set up in the area covered by my health board, meaning an extra 1300 beds to help the sick and totalling 5 hospitals for a relatively small area.

If the government hadn't closed about half of our smaller hospitals here in South Wales and demolished them to build flats, we'd be looking a little better off.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

I see @Schumi6581 has already updated you guys on the situation in the Netherlands. I just want to let you know to stay safe and take care of yourself and your loved ones!

• Like 2

Australia, and it's states and territories are effectively in lockdown. There's no crossing state/territory borders without a permit unless you can prove you're a citizen of that state/territory (rules vary slightly depending on the state being entered). Either way you'll likely be put into quarantine.

There have been several arrests resulting in AU$10k+ fines & prison for offenders attempting to cross into my home state of South Australia without stopping for checkpoints at the border.

Infection counts continue to rise as do deaths, but overall we've had very few deaths, and infection rates are lower than other developed countries.

As a result of continued efforts to isolate those potentially infected, social distancing instructions, and limitations on social gatherings which have led to businesses closing, we're now at a lower infection rate for now than had been predicted two weeks ago.

Most non-essential businesses are closed, and those that remain open are limited in what they can do. Many essential services have limits as well, but are able to remain in operation.

We're not in the safe zone yet and are still at high risk, but we're well on the way to flattening the curve here in Australia. As long as we can stop anyone entering illegally then we can irradicate it within our borders. If we can all do the same, then the virus will eventually be in our past. (Though blocking illegal entry here has been an ongoing effort for decades much like other countries, though we've been condemned for it by the international community as a whole despite our sovereign rights.)

Personally, I'm no longer working but have my job waiting for me when this all passes should I want it/not have found something else before then. I'm able to claim government support which is worth more than my employment income as a low income earner, in an effort to support those effected while helping to support our economy ahead of the inevitable.

Be safe everyone and remember to follow social distancing and isolation. Stop the spread and we can get ahead of the virus.

Best wishes to you all.

Edited by Skorpion
  • Like 3

On 3/31/2020 at 4:32 PM, Sinister said:

Stay on topic folks. Discuss propaganda shows/docs in the entertainment section.

🤔 Yeah! Like where are those guys with the spiritual coats that hit and heal ppl with it, Spring Break Holiday? Maybe the coats are at the drycleaners. Idk🤗

Edited by Smurf

We're in the middle of Quarantine Olympics. I won the paper/rock/scissors event. We've done dominos, baking, and CoD 1v1. Try it out with your bored/irritable kids.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, omarcomin71 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9f40504a35ab9db6a5c1bad038f4f572.jpeg

That cup of Java sure has a big joint to share!

• Haha 3

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!