RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

1 hour ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

which one then? Space horror and thriller sci-fi are 2 different categories, not one!

I don’t know which one, I’m just the guy taking the nominees and spinning the wheel, I used whatever terminology Lime used for the categories. :D 

Maybe we need to re-evaluate and spin the wheel again? 

Edited by Con

I left 2 links above about the genre, but I was thinking along the 2001, Alien or Event Horizon sort of movie... 

There are loads of movies like it and some even not being set in space actually fit the genre (I am thinking of Crichton´s Sphere, or even Contact).

It is not Space Horror, its Space thriller. Though I do fancy some gore, other may wish something a bit less dark.

• Like 1

But, as I said, If you think its too narrow, we can broaden it, but if you wish to broaden it, then lets drop the thriller instead of the space, because we are going in complete opposite ways from what was intended in the genre and we will, then, have 2 nominations fitting the bill.

3 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

What if we say it has to be set in space/on a different planet?

Works for me, but The sphere is set on Earth and I would see it as a full Space thriller! 

Decisions, decisions... :P

21 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

Works for me, but The sphere is set on Earth and I would see it as a full Space thriller! 

If it works for you then I'm going with it, this discussion has gone on long enough :D 

With that in mind, could everyone re-submit their films, which will be thrillers set in space/on a different planet.  If they are set on Earth, they have to be predominately about space (like The Sphere) :P 

Nominations

Gravity

Sunshine

Pitch Black (2 noms)

Alien (2 noms)

Aliens

2001: A Space Odyssey 

Life

Europa Report

Moon

Forbidden Planet

Event Horizon

Interstellar

@djw180 @Fido_le_muet can you guys pick something different? Thanks :) 

Here's a huge list of films that fit the bill https://www.imdb.com/list/ls052701159/

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Haha 1

Again:

Alien and Aliens...

And that list is not complete, there are several other movies that fit the bill... :P

Edited by Spinnaker1981

22 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

I’d also class Arrival and Oblivion as space thrillers too and they’re both set on earth. 

Its a tricky genre to define!

4 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I know :) You and @Con don't need to change your picks.

Is Transformers the Movie still acceptable as it’s set partly in space and partly on earth?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

I’d also class Arrival and Oblivion as space thrillers too and they’re both set on earth. 

Its a tricky genre to define!

Yes it is, but full of gems to be discovered and that was my point in choosing the genre!

Also, if nobody changes anything I will change Aliens for 2001 cos having that genre and nobody choosing that movie is bound to give bad karma.... after all it is (probably) the best sci-fi movie of all times...

• Like 1

Meanwhile.....Mr. Cellophane shows up at the SLR Round 5 Lobby and its fantastic, @7:27 I run past him as I feared the gold helicopter was going to blow up after I shot it with the atom gun, I jumped in my car and began flashing my headlights and it hits me, its Mr. Cellophane standing in front of my Tempesta. :D 

Edited by Con
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

If it works for you then I'm going with it, this discussion has gone on long enough :D 

With that in mind, could everyone re-submit their films, which will be thrillers set in space/on a different planet.  If they are set on Earth, they have to be predominately about space (like The Sphere) :P 

Mine are now Gravity and Sunshine

Other nominations that don't need to be changed

Pitch Black

Alien

Aliens

@djw180 @Fido_le_muet can you guys pick something different? Thanks :) 

Here's a huge list of films that fit the bill https://www.imdb.com/list/ls052701159/

Alien

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Con said:

Meanwhile.....Mr. Cellophane shows up at the SLR Round 5 Lobby and its fantastic, @7:27 I run past him as I feared the gold helicopter was going to blow up after I shot it with the atom gun, I jumped in my car and began flashing my headlights and it hits me, its Mr. Cellophane standing in front of my Tempesta. :D 

I think I did a pretty good job... not perfect, by any means, but it is pretty sweet!! :P

@Con, that means you looked right through me, walked right by me, and never knew I was there???? How peculiar...  :D

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Haha 2

I'm so excited right now. All these great films, some I watched a while back and cannot wait to revisit any of them. This month is a win-win for me!

My final two nominees are:

Pitch Black (2000) and Moon (2009)

oh no you didn't GIF by New York Comic Con

Edited by Con
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Time to spin the wheel I say !

loading wheel GIF by kimclements

:D 

Feel free to ask Lime if you can do it or he can do it too. Here is the link: https://www.online-stopwatch.com/random-name-pickers/name-picker-wheel/

I wont be able to get to it until the end of the day on Tuesday, since I doubt I will have time at work during the day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Time to spin the wheel I say !

loading wheel GIF by kimclements

You love that wheel don’t you :D 

We got enough films now so I say do it when you’re ready @Con :) 

@Squirrel you made your decision yet?  Probably got 8 hours before con finishes work.

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

You love that wheel don’t you :D 

We got enough films now so I say do it when you’re ready @Con :) 

@Squirrel you made your decision yet?  Probably got 8 hours before con finishes work.

Are you allowing my first choice ? Pitch Black is my number 2 film. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

Are you allowing my first choice ? Pitch Black is my number 2 film. 

Do you have anything else?  There will be an animation/80s film month eventually :) 

33 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Do you have anything else?  There will be an animation/80s film month eventually :) 

I think it would be better if it was in a dedicated section ?

I’m surprised it’s not being nominated yet but a more serious entry will be Interstellar 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

I think it would be better if it was in a dedicated section ?

I’m surprised it’s not being nominated yet but a more serious entry will be Interstellar 

Just keep an eye out at the end of the month when we are accepting genres and submit which ever one you want. Chances are someone else will vote the same genre increasing the odds. 

If I can spin the wheel before everyone arrives at the office I will do that, I also might be going home early so the wheel won’t have to wait until the end of the day. I will do my best to get that thang spun !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So...I had a chance to spin this thang!!

Please excuse the morning cobwebs as my brain had not awoken fully yet and was trying to hurry before co-workers arrived and got all up in the biz. 

• Sad 1