RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

You kidding @Con you really want me to pick a bad horror movie or something like that when the time comes because I don´t like horror? I am already terrified with your choices for musicals!!! ?

So many great choices (and not only American ones either!):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450188/?ref_=ttls_li_tt

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101761/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200550/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

You kidding @Con you really want me to pick a bad horror movie or something like that when the time comes because I don´t like horror? I am already terrified with your choices for musicals!!! ?

LMAO. Xanadu it is. hahaha just kidding, I trust Lime.

Hey I was going to submit Straight Outta Compton but I dont think that qualifies as a Musical.

• Like 2

Coyote Ugly qualifies as a musical? Hold up...that means I can expand my search then. Because there is a fine line between full musical and film with musical performances like Bohemian Rhapsody would fall under.

Just now, Con said:

Coyote Ugly qualifies as a musical? Hold up...that means I can expand my search then. Because there is a fine line between full musical and film with musical performances like Bohemian Rhapsody would fall under.

Well, not my call, but I would be willing to stretch it a bit, sure...

12 minutes ago, Con said:

I’m trying to stay true and pure to the genre to show I’m a good sport. 

Ok, no coyote then... but the others are musicals...

And so are these:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492869/?ref_=adv_li_tt

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1707386/?ref_=adv_li_tt

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293508/?ref_=adv_li_tt

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084503/?ref_=adv_li_tt

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193524/?ref_=adv_li_tt   (I actually cannot believe nobody said this one before!!!)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090633/?ref_=adv_li_tt

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063823/?ref_=adv_li_tt

Amongst others, of course...

Edited by Spinnaker1981

15 minutes ago, djw180 said:

I think a musical, as much as I hate most of them, has to have the actual actors singing songs that progress the plot.

Which ones do you think don´t qualify as such in the above list then?

This is what i was reading last night from RT. Now in the article they mention the two types of "musicals":

" 'A Star Is Born' straddles the line between traditional musical (think burst-out-in-song-at-any-moment films like Hairspray or La La Land) and what we’re terming “performing arts movies” (think movies where characters take to a stage to perform, or perform in a natural situation, a la Once or School of Rock)."

Movies with more than 34% of runtime made up of performances: Notorious (2009), Idlewild (2006), Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny (2006), Love Songs (2007), Walk Hard (2007), From Justin to Kelly (2003), Moulin Rouge! (2001), The Greatest Showman (2017), Sunshine on Leith (2013), Walk The Line (2005), Cadillac Records (2008), Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001), Pitch Perfect 3 (2017), Joyful Noise (2012), The Lure (2015), Country Strong (2010), Duets (2000), Romance and Cigarettes (2005), Beyond the Sea (2004), God Help the Girl (2014), De-Lovely (2004), Into the Woods (2014), The Producers (2005), London Road (2015), Colma: The Musical (2006), Rock of Ages (2012), High School Musical 3 (2008), Black Nativity (2013), Dreamgirls (2006), Nine (2009), Walking on Sunshine (2014), Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008), The Phantom of the Opera (2004), Hairspray (2007), Chicago (2002), Mamma Mia! (2008), Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018), Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), Les Miserables (2012), Rent (2005), Across the Universe (2007), The Last Five Years (2014)

Movies with less than 34% of runtime made up of performances: The Singing Detective (2003), Enchanted (2007), Crazy Heart (2009), Danny Collins (2015), Glitter (2001), Monsoon Wedding (2001), Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010), 24 Hour Party People (2002), Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (2001), The Runaways (2010), Chi-Raq (2015), Basmati Blues (2017), August Rush (2007), Nowhere Boy (2009), Dancer in the Dark (2000), Bandslam (2009), Begin Again (2013), You, the Living (2007), Florence Foster Jenkins (2016), Jem and the Holograms (2015), La Vie en Rose (2007), Control (2007), Raise Your Voice (2004), Straight Outta Compton (2015), 8 Mile (2002), Camp (2003), Sing Street (2016), School of Rock (2003), Pitch Perfect 2 (2015), Heart Beats Loud (2018), 8 Women (2002), The Fighting Temptations (2003), The Muppets (2011), We Are the Best! (2014), Pitch Perfect (2012), The Saddest Music in the World (2003), Annie (2014), Office (2015), Frank (2014), Bride & Prejudice (2004), Happiness of the Katakuris (2001), Burlesque (2010), Ray (2004), Beauty and the Beast (2017), La La Land (2016), Rockstar (2001), Josie and the Pussycats (2001), Inside Llewyn Davis (2013), A Mighty Wind (2003), Hustle & Flow (2005), The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012), Sparkle (2012), Love & Mercy (2016), Get On Up (2014), Jersey Boys (2014), Muppets Most Wanted (2014), Fame (2009), The Sapphires (2013), Once (2007)

• Haha 1

I love the effort you’re putting into this choice @Con

You’ll know more about musicals than me if this carries on :D 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

So the later ones are not musicals? Really? 

The way I was determining my choices last night was by reading the first few description lines in the Wikipedia....if it says Musical....I qualify it. If it doesnt have the word musical then its a performance film. Fucking modern musicals is what screwing this all up. lol

3 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

Which ones do you think don´t qualify as such in the above list then?

Well I've not seen most that have been mentioned. I was just thinking about your classic musicals, Singing in the Rain, West Side Story, Les Miserables etc (many of course film versions of stage shows), that have songs instead of dialaogue. At times or even all the time rather than characters talking to each other they sing to each other to progress the story.

So I wouldn't class Bohemian Rhapsody as a musical. The actors aren't singing in that and what music is in isn't telling the story. It's just songs on top of the story; in that case the greatest songs ever written of course ;)

This is just a personal opinion though. I'm not a big fan of musicals. I haven't seen many. Those I have, Rocky Horror, Grease, Little Shop of Horrors, South Park, Les Mis, I like but I think that's because I only see ones I think I will like.

• Like 2

Ok, let me make a ruling here.

I’m going to class it as a musical if the songs happen in an unrealistic way.  In that case, Bohemian Rhapsody wouldn’t count as there’s nothing unrealistic about Queen performing their songs.  La La Land would count as there are scenes of huge crowds of people singing/dancing in the streets.

Would you be happy to have La La Land as your choice instead of Bo Rap @Fido_le_muet?

Hope that clears things up :) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, djw180 said:

Well I've not seen most that have been mentioned. I was just thinking about your classic musicals, Singing in the Rain, West Side Story, Les Miserables etc (many of course film versions of stage shows), that have songs instead of dialaogue. At times or even all the time rather than characters talking to each other they sing to each other to progress the story.

So I wouldn't class Bohemian Rhapsody as a musical. The actors aren't singing in that and what music is in isn't telling the story. It's just songs on top of the story; in that case the greatest songs ever written of course ;)

This is just a personal opinion though. I'm not a big fan of musicals. I haven't seen many. Those I have, Rocky Horror, Grease, Little Shop of Horrors, South Park, Les Mis, I like but I think that's because I only see ones I think I will like.

Yes, Bohemian Rhapsody is considered a biographical film about a singer and not really a musical. As much as I want to side with Fido, I cannot. In my opinion I think we should go with what Wikipedia categorizes it as, at least this way we are using the same thing to determine whether your film qualifies, because Rolling Stones magazine might consider it a musical but Rotten Tomatoes may not and that can cause a rift and take the fun out of this club.

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

With that sorted (I think :D) the films we have so far are:

The Blues Brothers (2 noms)

Grease

La La Land

Chicago (2 noms)

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (2 noms)

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

The Little Shop of Horrors

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 3

Yeah, I've been thinking and Bohemian Rhapsody is more biopic than musical so I'll go with La La Land.

Now bring on the WHEEL !

Edited by Fido_le_muet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Danielle said:

What happens if a film gets 2 nominations?

I was thinking it would have two entries in the draw to represent getting two votes.

Is this ok with everyone, any other suggestions?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I was thinking it would have two entries in the draw to represent getting two votes.

I have no issue with giving a film more than one wheel slice of it has multiple nominations. My vote is Yes to multiple slices.

Thank you @Danielle for the question. 

I meant to research more musicals but forgot so my official entry is:

Little Shop of Horrors.

Lime just let me know when you update and lock up the nominations and when to spin that wheel. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

This sounds good to me, otherwise it would be a waste of your vote to say a film that has already been picked :)

I was going to say The Greatest Showman... but in this case I'll give Chicago a second vote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2