RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

@Spinnaker1981please don’t just post links. I’m not going to click on all those just to find out what it is. Please add the title too. 

I think Blues Brothers could be considered a musical based on multiple characters breaking out into song in non- musical situations. If not my second choice I’d Sound of Music. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beez said:

@Spinnaker1981please don’t just post links. I’m not going to click on all those just to find out what it is. Please add the title too. 

I think Blues Brothers could be considered a musical based on multiple characters breaking out into song in non- musical situations. If not my second choice I’d Sound of Music. 

It was on purpose. I don´t want to be filling this thread with names of movies that are NOT nominated...

I do like your second choice of musical :D

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beez said:

Blues Brothers is fine because of the reasons you mentioned, lots of fantasy musical numbers along with stage performances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Lady_A said:

I'll throw my vote to The Rocky Horror Picture Show as I can imagine some very entertaining discussion.

If that movie wins, I will be more upset than Con when musicals were drafted... ?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

If that movie wins, I will be more upset than Con when musicals were drafted... ?

Mannnnnnnn, I don’t know if that’s possible. :D 

i couldn’t  believe what I was reading on the screen. I paused to make sure it wasn’t a dream. 

I’m ready for whatever wins. Bring it on. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

The wheel ! The Wheel !

Since there are now ten nominations (including multiple for three films) I feel as if we may as well get the draw done.

Whenever you’re ready @Con;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Thanks @Con, I’ll get a thread for it open sometime tomorrow.

Cool. Sorry i just got around to doing that. I wasnt even home when I did it. I just had to wait to get home to upload it. 

For shitz n gigglez I did the drawing without the multiple nominations and my Little Shop of Horrors would have won. I  LOL'ed.

Edited by Con
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Con said:

Cool. Sorry i just got around to doing that. I wasnt even home when I did it. I just had to wait to get home to upload it. 

For shitz n gigglez I did the drawing without the multiple nominations and my Little Shop of Horrors would have won. I  LOL'ed.

No need to apologise dude :) 

You know, I think you may enjoy Chicago, great jazz music and hot chicks killing people, what’s not to like ;) 

19 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

No need to apologise dude :) 

You know, I think you may enjoy Chicago, great jazz music and hot chicks killing people, what’s not to like ;) 

I was ready for anything, I make the best of anything I watch. Chicago won Best Picture so how cool that we get to view back to back best pic winners!! 

nyJ54CY.gif

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Off-topic : the wife and I are currently rewatching all the James Bond movies. We saw For Your Eyes Only yesterday. 2 Roger Moore films left. 

Seeing them back to back, I found very interesting the treatment of women. You can clearly see how it evolves over time. 

In earlier films, women are just there to be saved and have sex with Bond at first glance. It's so awful at times, Bond says something very sexist to the girl and she immediately has sex with him ! Very weird to see in 2019, really have to recontext. Even Ursula Andress in Dr. No, despite her knife in her bikini, doesn't do much. 

Over time, the girl characters become more fleshed out and interesting. Yesterday, the Bond girl was looking for revenge and she was not in need of saving. However, one of the secondary woman was so stereotypical it hurt ! In Mooraker, the Bond girl is a CIA Spy and astronaut. Sometimes, they're almost the equal of Bond. Overall they become more independent and strong women. I know the trend continues with the following films with Brosnan and Craig (Eva Green).

Thought it was worth pointing out. Could be a worthy topic of discussion in a future session of the film club :) 

• Like 3

Only one week left to watch Chicago for this months film club.

It's also about that time to nominate a new genre/theme for next month.  I'll start by choosing British Films, gotta rep the homeland :D 

• Like 1