RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

Based on the shoutbox conversations the other day I was considering nominating Shark movies but I’ll widen the net and go for modern B movies. It doesn’t have to be a shark film then as there are many other cheesy monster flicks released in recent years. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pb76 said:

John Hughes movies

Oh no.  My opinion about John Hughes films is the same as @Con‘s opinion on musicals.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Oh no.  My opinion about John Hughes films is the same as @Con‘s opinion on musicals.

Musicals. That’s a sore spot for me as the person that submitted the Genre didn’t even watch the movie that month. ?

• Sad 1

@Con It's time to spin the wheel for next months genre, whenever you're ready.

The nominations are

comedy

modern b-movie

horror

fantasy (2noms)

John Hughes films (as director)

historical

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@Con It's time to spin the wheel for next months genre, whenever you're ready.

I just spun the wheel but Mobile YouTube is being a piece of shit right now and is having issues with uploading. I dont know why they would have removed the option to upload straight to YT like i had been doing all this time and now I cant just upload it directly. Why must they fuck with shit all the time. Anyways, as soon as it allows me to I will upload the vid. Oh and for the first time, the second spin also landed on the winning genre, so it's meant to be. lol. 

Edited by Con
  • Thanks 1

Gonna be some strange films nominated this month :D 

I'll kick things off with Braindead (also known as Dead Alive) directed by Peter Jackson.

Edited by LimeGreenLegend

I remember loving the movie called FEAST, thankfully I watched it before becoming the film fan I am now. But I want to look around more and see if I can find something I havent watched before I officially nominate something.  

Here is a small list to help you as well:

https://screenrant.com/best-modern-b-movies/

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

I was gonna nominate Bubba Ho-Tep, but I've seen it about 20 times :D 

Wouldn't mind if someone else nominates it though :) 

1 minute ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I was gonna nominate Bubba Ho-Tep, but I've seen it about 20 times :D 

Wouldn't mind if someone else nominates it though :) 

All i know is that the film gods really want us to watch a modern B-movie this month as the "official" and the "what if" spins both landed on Modern B-Movies, a first for the wheel. 

• Haha 1

I'll be posting my Rush notes tomorrow, and should be watching Mad Max as well.  Then I only need to do Gravity and I'm all caught up :) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, djw180 said:

I'm not really sure what the definition of "B-movie" is. Would some of Kevin Smith's films count? Clerks, Mallrats etc

Kevin Smith's films, while having the budgets of b-movies, wouldn't be considered b-movies.  The main determining factor is in the plots.  Smith's films, and many other indie films, are about real people in realistic (for the movies) situations.  B-movies are for the most part over the top, exploitative, and fantastical.  Most of the time they are horror or sci-fi films, with the difference between b-movie horror and sci-fi, and say, 2001 and The Shining, is the craftsmanship and the quality of the final product.  Kubrick was one of the best directors of all time, and he had a budget and a name-filled cast.  He didn't direct b-movies.  Not to say that all b-movies are badly made and shit.  Romero's zombie films are all b-movies, as are Sam Raimi's Evil Dead films.

Otherwise, you have stuff like the sexploitation/blacksploitation films of the 60s/70s, so stuff like Foxy Brown, Shaft, The Man From O.R.G.Y would all be b-movies.

Basically, if it looks cheap and makes you feel dirty while watching it, then it's a b-movie.

The Ranker list I linked above is all b-movies, I'm sure there's something that catches your eye in there.

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 2

OK, I had a look at the list Con posted. Not seen any of them.  Not heard of most of them.  Most looks like films I wouldn't pay to see but might watch if they happened to be on TV.

One stood out to me, Grindhouse, partly made by Quentin Tarrantino. But having looked to see how easy it would be to watch it I find that although it was made as a Tarrantino-Rodriguez double feature, the DVD release is as two seperate films and we'd need to buy / rent them both to see the film as the directors intended. So I am going for my second choice from that list, which is described as an ode to Russ Meyer, and that is

Bitch Slap

Edited by djw180
  • Like 2

I will say, Hatch & Dodge vs Evil, I mean , Tucker & Dale vs Evil looks fun. :D 

One of my fave zombie films fall right in the cusp of the genre but sadly doesn’t make the B-movie list and that film is “The Return of the Living Dead”...just made professionally enough to avoid the list. I love that movie ever since I was 12 years old. Otherwise that would be my nomination. So I’m gonna spend my Sunday looking around for a B movie I really want to watch. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Con said:

One of my fave zombie films fall right in the cusp of the genre but sadly doesn’t make the B-movie list and that film is “The Return of the Living Dead”...just made professionally enough to avoid the list. I love that movie ever since I was 12 years old. Otherwise that would be my nomination. So I’m gonna spend my Sunday looking around for a B movie I really want to watch. 

I'd say that is a b-movie, but if you wanna find something else, cool :) 

There is only one film I can nominate for this and it was the reason behind the B Movie nomination in the first place. 

It is of course Sharknado

Now you guys will be hoping I don’t get 3 spins in a row ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2