RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

Ooh sci-fi is my thing (musicals aren’t so I stayed well clear)

Any criteria for nominating a film or can it be anything in the vast sci-fi genre?

• Like 1

Ridley Scot´s Alien

James Cameron´s Aliens.

Different in almost every way except where it matters. I nominate both... :D

12 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Any criteria for nominating a film or can it be anything in the vast sci-fi genre?

Not the brave kind, I hear you... ?

Space thriller - https://www.imdb.com/list/ls052701159/ (I don´t know how @Con ended up with thriller sci-fi, but I hate Children of men and even the mentioning of it in this thread breaks all my will to live... :D)

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Any sci-fi film with heavy thriller/horror elements.

So none of the Star Wars films :P 

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

Space thriller (I don´t know how @Con ended up with thriller sci-fi, but I hate Children of men and even the mentioning of it in this thread breaks all my will to live... :D):D

You know that’s going to win now right ;) 

And we’re making the genre a bit broader so there is more choice.

Just now, LimeGreenLegend said:

You know that’s going to win now right ;) 

And we’re making the genre a bit broader so there is more choice.

I wouldn´t have nominated thriller Sci-fi, ever... It defeats the purpose I wanted.

The sense of void and hopelessness of space, the claustrophobia of the enclosed spaces. That was what I was aiming. 

Children of men and 12 monkeys? God almighty!! That is as far from the genre I nominated as chicago would be!

2 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

To be fair, there’s not much of any of that in Aliens either ;) 

Not much, but there is some, specially the ending scenes...

Also there is no joyride around the countryside on a minivan is there?

16 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

So a space thriller which kills off the main characters, features lots of dismemberment and has a legendary oscar winning cast would fit the genre? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

So a space thriller which kills off the main characters, features lots of dismemberment and has a legendary oscar winning cast would fit the genre? 

YES :D It would, but Star Wars would not... (I see what you did there.... )

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Fine, whatever.  I’ve been awake since yesterday afternoon and I’m too tired to argue those points :P 

I will just say, you can’t call Alec Guiness “the cast” :D 

• Haha 1

I’m not nominating Star Wars. Don’t worry there. 

However one of my choices does feature Orson Welles in his final movie. As well as Leonard Nimoy and Eric Idle. 

Its a story of galactic proportions where good has to team up with evil to fight a bigger threat  

It also has a classic 80’s hair metal soundtrack and the film went on to inspire a whole generation of film makers. 

It is of course the 1986 classic Transformers: The Movie (not the newer Micheal Bay monstrosities)

My more serious nomination is going to be The Lawnmower Man. Would have nominated Pitch Black but it’s already on the list. ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

I’m not nominating Star Wars. Don’t worry there. 

However one of my choices does feature Orson Welles in his final movie. As well as Leonard Nimoy and Eric Idle. 

Its a story of galactic proportions where good has to team up with evil to fight a bigger threat  

It also has a classic 80’s hair metal soundtrack and the film went on to inspire a whole generation of film makers. 

Hide contents

It is of course the 1986 classic Transformers: The Movie (not the newer Micheal Bay monstrosities)

My more serious nomination is going to be The Lawnmower Man. Would have nominated Pitch Black but it’s already on the list. ?

You can nominate the same movie...

(great, another non space thriller nominated... I was so thrilled to see that my category had won just to see it all turn into dust in favour of "wider selection of movies")

Edited by Spinnaker1981

10 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

You can nominate the same movie...

(great, another non space thriller nominated... I was so thrilled to see that my category had won just to see it all turn into dust in favour of "wider selection of movies")

I think our nominations were misunderstood a bit. 

I nominated space movie. It could have been anything from 2001 to Aliens or Star Wars, Elysium, Moon, Apollo 13, Gravity, Interstellar. It could even have been a comedy. 

From my understanding, yours was very specificaly space thriller. I kinda agree with Lime and think your theme is like a sub section of mine. We hould have merged them or nominate them a different month IMO. 

49 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I nominated space movie. It could have been anything from 2001 to Aliens or Star Wars, Elysium, Moon, Apollo 13, Gravity, Interstellar. It could even have been a comedy. 

From my understanding, yours was very specificaly space thriller. I kinda agree with Lime and think your theme is like a sub section of mine. We hould have merged them or nominate them a different month IMO.  

yes, well, so be it. We can com back to this at some point. Just go with the flow, they say... @Con had to watch a musical, I can bare to watch a horror Sci-Fi, no matter which one it is... :P (except if children of men wins, then I will have a hard time just to go through that movie once again... ) :D

• Like 1

• Bladerunner - The director's cut
    • important that it is the directors cut, it's a very different film to me and that's the version I'm nominating
  • THX1138

4 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Jar Jar Binks was horrifying. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

(I don´t know how @Con ended up with thriller sci-fi...

Brother, I was just shortening the genre title so it would fit neatly into the wheel so I left the word ‘horror’ out. But the winning category is technically....

Space Horror/Thriller Focused Sci-Fi 

1 minute ago, Con said:

Brother, I was just shortening the genre title so it would fit neatly into the wheel so I left the word ‘horror’ out. But the winning category is technically....

Space Horror/Thriller Focused Sci-Fi 

which one then? Space horror and thriller sci-fi are 2 different categories, not one!

Got to agree with Spin on this. Sci-Fi doesn’t have to mean it’s set in space or even feature aliens. 

If you can nail down the exact genre I’m happy to make new appropriate choices to suit the right style of sci fi. 

Just now, Squirrel said:

Got to agree with Spin on this. Sci-Fi doesn’t have to mean it’s set in space or even feature aliens. 

If you can nail down the exact genre I’m happy to make new appropriate choices to suit the right style of sci fi. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=space+thriller&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls052701159/

That is what I nominated... both google and IMDB acknowledge the genre.

and, though every space thriller can fit inside Sci-fi thriller, the genre Sci-fi thriller is way bigger and more vast than the former.

I leave it to you to make a decision, but I do stand my ground that I did not nominate Sci-fi Thriller, and I never would.

10 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=space+thriller&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls052701159/

That is what I nominated... both google and IMDB acknowledge the genre.

and, though every space thriller can fit inside Sci-fi thriller, the genre Sci-fi thriller is way bigger and more vast than the former.

I leave it to you to make a decision, but I do stand my ground that I did not nominate Sci-fi Thriller, and I never would.

Based on now knowing the exact genre I will definitely change my choices. Would definitely include sci-fi horror as a future genre. 

@Spinnaker1981

what movie exactly did you have in mind when you submitted your genre? 

3 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

As I interpreted both sci-fi nominees:

1. Space focus (not horror) - film that deals with man vs nature (space weather, lost in space).

2. Horror/Thriller focus - film that deals with psychological or monsters.