Rate the Last Film you Watched

StressEater

15:17 to Paris

Directed by Clint Eastwood

Great movie. This is the true story of the attempted attack on a train to Paris. The attack was stopped by three young men that were on a trip around Europe. This movie has horrible reviews but I personally liked it. I had not watched the previews but knew what it was about and I love to see movies based on true stories. I tend to not make my movie decisions based on what others think. Since we have the MoviePass, @Sinister and I try to watch as many movies as we can as we have nothing to lose. 

What I did not know is the actors in the movie are the real people from the train. The three Americans played themselves, the man who was shot and his wife played themselves as well. The acting was not the greatest but knowing these people relieved that nightmare to share it with the world makes me look past it. I also read after that they took no acting classes before starring in this film. I am glad Clint Eastwood took a chance with them.

If you have a chance to see this, you should.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TECHFL227 said:

15:17 to Paris

Directed by Clint Eastwood

Great movie. This is the true story of the attempted attack on a train to Paris. The attack was stopped by three young men that were on a trip around Europe. This movie has horrible reviews but I personally liked it. I had not watched the previews but knew what it was about and I love to see movies based on true stories. I tend to not make my movie decisions based on what others think. Since we have the MoviePass, @Sinister and I try to watch as many movies as we can as we have nothing to lose. 

What I did not know is the actors in the movie are the real people from the train. The three Americans played themselves, the man who was shot and his wife played themselves as well. The acting was not the greatest but knowing these people relieved that nightmare to share it with the world makes me look past it. I also read after that they took no acting classes before starring in this film. I am glad Clint Eastwood took a chance with them.

If you have a chance to see this, you should.

I didn’t love it, but I liked it. More importantly it’s a good story to be told. 

I don’t quite understand the terrible reviews. For people who have never acted I think they did okay. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

Just watched Thor Ragnarok. Just a bit meh really. Glad I didn’t waste any money on it. 

Felt like it was Flash Gordon written by Will Ferrell but with out the camp cheesy humour and amazing sound track.

Not sure what they were trying to do with the comedy but it just didn’t work.

The Hulk shouldn’t be a speaking role other than the occasional “hulk smash”. The whole film seemed to be a series of bad cameos. What worked for Guardians certainly hasn’t worked for Thor. 

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 1

Curvature:

Decent enough, with a different story from what we usually see in Sci-Fi- Time travelers movies, but not enough to be Good.

Taking into account the budget, I liked it, worth watching if you are a Sci-fi fan like I am.

6,5/10

• Like 1

The Disaster Artist

DGtGDbA.jpg?1

The Awesome: I've always liked the idea of selling a script that would be turned into a film, so during my screenwriting research I came across a list of the worst movies to ever grace a cinema, naturally I YouTubed a few of them and couldn't stop laughing when I saw clips from "The Room", the first thing I noticed was the bad the script and terrible pacing of the scenes. I just had to watch the whole thing, so I managed to get a copy and watched the entire movie. The entire movie was so poorly written that not only did it make for terrible pacing it also distorted and disjointed the entire narrative. I thought to myself, I have to watch this whole thing to learn WHAT NOT TO DO. I actually felt bad for the filmmakers while watching the movie as I could tell they were trying to tell a serious story but the thing needed 70 tons of shoe polish in every aspect of filmmaking. After watching it I kept asking myself, who made this? dafuq would finance this? dafuq got this to play in cinemas? dafuq were the actors and people in production and post-production thinking signing up for this? dafuq was the script supervisor? Was this an intentional joke?....Well this "making of The Room" finally answers all those questions with great insight. I now understand the passion behind it and the reasons those scenes were so bad and why no one seemed to care how bad the film was turning out during the process.

DLmZ98p.jpg?1

The Good: Surprisingly the film has heart at its core and more depth to what I originally thought was just some amateurs making a shitty movie. Acting was good by everyone portraying the actors from "The Room". Franco does a superb job really selling his version of Tommy Wiseau, in some scenes I was all in. Great job casting actors that resembled those in "The Room". The film does a good job of getting you to want both main characters to succeed but you always know one of them is always at a disadvantage when it comes to pursuing his dream. Another thing that was fun was how close they were able to replicate some of the most memorable scenes from the original, including props. Really brings that wacky, terrible, disjointed, poorly acted, poorly written, poorly shot, but still financed and put in a cinema movie I watched out of curiosity a few years back into a full circle and i was truly inspired by its message. Seth Rogan was brilliant as the Script-supervisor and was excellent in every scene. 

WLfzNjX.jpg?1

The Bad: Watching "The Room" beforehand, (while not necessary) would add to the viewing experience, but that means you have to watch two full-length movies and one being so bad that you'll probably laugh a few times and move on to something more productive to do (unless you have an interest in filmmaking). People that watched this without any previous knowledge will obviously miss some of the better jokes and references. Really depresses aspiring filmmakers when they hear how much Tommy spent to make a bad movie. 

2JqTD6w.jpg?1

The Ugly: If you hate bad movies then you will hate a movie about the making of a bad movie that features what some might call, an annoying main character. There is no real story, just what went on during the process when they were making "The Room". Without any knowledge that Tommy Wiseau is a real person, you'd think Franco was playing a cartoon character and find his performance dumb.  

giphy.gif

Verdict....3/5......Funny to have watched a movie about the making of "The Room" all these years later. I laughed hard in some scenes because I was familiar with the original source. Franco nailing the main character really goes a long way since Tommy is such a polarizing person. While I suggest you get somewhat familiar with the original "The Room" movie before you watch this, it really isn't mandatory in order to understand and be inspired by The Disaster Artist and laugh during it. Enjoyed the side by side shots during the end credits as it showed how close they got the scenes to match from the original. 

YQIlA3a.jpg?1

This post has been promoted to an article
Edited by Con

On 2/20/2018 at 11:29 AM, Con said:

Kind of why I've watched most of anything Kate Beckinsale has ever been in. Joking. I think she is an awesome actress that happens to be gorgeous. 

Oh, I'd let her bite me!:wink:

• Haha 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 weeks later...

Annihilation

Watched it on Netflix last night. This movie was released online for most of the world except the US and China where it was shown in theaters. 

I regret not seeing it on the big screen cause it's a damn good movie ! 

Quick pitch : a team of scientists is sent into 'The Shimmer', a US military quarantined zone where extreme mutations are happening for unknown reasons. 

It stars Nathalie Portman :wub:, Oscar Isaac, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Tessa Thompson among a few others.

I can't say much other than that it's disturbing !

It starts pretty slowly and it accelerates until a fantastic last 30 minutes and an amazing climax. Definitely worth watching because the ending is so rewarding. Goes from a classic mystery fantastic movie and ends in full science fiction glory.

It is visually stunning and sound editing is fantastic, especially at the end. @LimeGreenLegend, at times it reminded me of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. And that's a great reference point IMO. 

I felt a little weird after watching it but after a good night sleep, I realize it was a really good movie. 

It's very open to interpretation and I'm sure different people can draw different conclusions depending on thei own self. The movie can be about multiple theme and each of us will feel it's about this or that. It's a really strange feeling. It touches people differently I think. 

It's both beautiful, disturbing, very creative, deep and emotionnal. 

Really loved it. One of the best film of the past couple years. 

9/10

• Like 3

tombraider.jpg

It was... not great. Which is a shame because Alicia Vikander gives an excellent performance and the two games it was based on had terrific, visual stories with complex characters.

I'm a loooong time fan of the Tomb Raider franchise despite it's many terrible products, so that definitely coloured my experience of the movie. However while I think they did effectively open the movie up for people who don't know the canon, they diluted the story so much they made a movie that's so average it's dull. A big consequence of trying to make the movie accessible was turning a game with content that was a very hard R rating into an average PG13, which robbed it of much of it's drama, yet they still play it deadly serious. I can't really work out who the audience for this film was meant to be. Fans of the franchise will have already seen this story done much better. Fan of action adventure movies would be quickly bored by how little fun it has.

Finally there is my greatest narrative gripe with the franchise which is Lara's father, who seems to get a bigger role with every new entry. The character just infests this movie, robbing Lara of her agency and derailing any sense of drama or fun. And his actor doesn't give an interesting performance which just compounds this issue. 

So yeah, maybe watch it when it's on TV or something, but I don't think it's worth going out of your way to watch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seven Second Love Affair

8 out of 10 smokey burnouts. Documentary about drag racing in the 1960s, it sort of reminded me of On Any Sunday but the narrator wasn't as good. I just love this era of drag racing and the front engine rails in particular. I've never been to vintage or modern drag racing but when I was a kid I'd go to the public library and car and motorcycle books or WW2 books. This documentary brought all the photos I remember from those books to life. This summer I hope to go to the drag races in person. @zztop911 you've probably seen this but if not you will like it. I watched it on Amazon Prime but it might be available on other services.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Beez said:

Seven Second Love Affair

8 out of 10 smokey burnouts. Documentary about drag racing in the 1960s, it sort of reminded me of On Any Sunday but the narrator wasn't as good. I just love this era of drag racing and the front engine rails in particular. I've never been to vintage or modern drag racing but when I was a kid I'd go to the public library and car and motorcycle books or WW2 books. This documentary brought all the photos I remember from those books to life. This summer I hope to go to the drag races in person. @zztop911 you've probably seen this but if not you will like it. I watched it on Amazon Prime but it might be available on other services.

Yep....Loved it!

Reminds me of a Doc about Bob Glidden and his Pro Stock Pinto. I had already been racing with Bob's son, Billy Glidden,  at Fun Ford Weekend. In the documentary there at a scene of young cotton topped Billy in the pits helping his Dad. It struck a bell with me. I looked closer and it was a race that I had attended as late teenager. The next time I was to attend the same event as Billy, I brought Billy a framed picture of a image  of him helping his Dad that I pulled and cleaned up from the vid. Billy thanked me very graciously . Little did I know that he and his Dad had been on the outs for years. Later that year about a week or so from Christmas, I get a call from Billy's long time girl friend Shannon. She wanted my address to send me something from Billy. I get it and it's one of Billy'd racing t-shirts that he sells. I look at it closer and it's signed by Billy and his Dad, Bob. It seems that he and his Dad got on much netter terms and Billy wanted to thank me for contributing to them getting together on better terms. I was sure floored.

• Like 2

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 weeks later...

Bite (2016)

c3NCwvr.jpg?1

The Awesome: The set design of the main apartment's transformation was brilliantly executed. The practical effects used throughout the film stand out and was cool to see something besides CGI. The dilemmas Casey is facing in her love life.

The pregnancy element really adds to her situation, whose baby is it? But we get that answer and its awesome,giving realism to the abundance of all the eggs. Think about it, if women gave birth to a maggot colony....that would be a lot of maggots filling up a fully developed human placenta!! 

The sound design is really phenomenal. The sounds that come from our main character's body as it changes were fantastic. 

0eNDYF8.jpg?1

The Good: I like taking the cold-feet bride angle [clearly why she decides to take the vacation] and asking, how could we make her situation a lot worse?? The main character's performance throughout the transformation was very good. Really gross secretions and vomit effects. For its low budget and being an independent film, it delivered in that facet. A nice addition to the body-horror genre. If you liked the gore in The Fly with Jeff Goldblum, then this is worth watching. I like the found footage start of the movie, but it is not a found footage film, the found footage is only of the "bachelor" party and is used to fill things in later and I really liked the reveal as I felt was something realistic that I have seen happen among friends IRL. 

fI2ldmF.jpg?1

The Bad: The dialogue doesn't always hit the mark and is what makes the acting in places seem weak. In some scenes the make-up seems to have been done by another less skilled make-up team. The dialogue is weak in many places. I think while i loved what they show as far as the transformation, i think the actual bug/insect could have had a little more explanation or more clarification, like at the initial bite, why not have it fly into the water. This would have given the ending sequences more impact. The map to the secret spot is fucking hilarious, it's just a bunch of arrows pointing to a spot. hahahaha ... why even show us that?

The Ugly: I have a hard time during films when things around the characters are completely overlooked when they should be eliciting stronger reactions. Here are two examples:

When Kirsten goes looking for Casey and enters her now altered apartment and has absolutely no reaction to what she is seeing. And then there is the mother-in-law's death, A close mother/son relationship is established and you don't hear the son asking if anyone has seen his mom, really fucking bothered me. I don't recall any excuse for the mother in law to be missing.

The film takes place in a residential building and did everyone go on vacation at the same time? Why not change the setting to a more secluded place in order to avoid these jarring holes. Some editing was sloppy and in some scenes the continuity suffers. If you aren't into the story or the visuals, things like this stand out far more and can ruin the experience. 

dcRfZBd.jpg?1

Final Verdict....2/5...if you enjoy body-horror films like the fly and really want to feel bad for a woman about to enter an unwanted marriage have things turn for the worse, then watch this movie. If you like gore and fucked up secretions, you will enjoy this. I enjoyed it for the many complications presented to the main character but hated the sloppiness of the filmmaker in some places. Also some logical issues could have been prevented, like make the main character really conceited and stuck up and obsessed with her looks and body image in order to explain why she didn't reveal to her best friends what was happening to her body, or even a single doctor visit where the doctor was too busy flirting with his secretary than caring about Casey's condition and instead we are expected to just overlook those things that stick out like sore thumbs. If you like gore and body horror definitely watch this!! Regardless of my score.

Edited by Con

Seen a couple of decent films recently. 

First one was Ready Player One. 

Its an excellent original film, set in the future where VR gaming has actually become mainstream. People actually live their lives in the virtual world and only spending time in the real world to sleep and eat. 

Its packed full of pop culture referencess. Visually very impressive and a great Willy Wonka esque story. Spielberg doing the business again.

The other film Ive seen I wasn’t sure about just from the quick teaser trailer I saw. 

Isle of Dogs is absolutely packed full of famous voices. You have to check out the cast list. 

The film itself is an animated feature set in Japans future where dogs have to live on their own island. 

Its as surreal as it sounds and it’s a very unique animation style. If you love films that are different to the mainstream blockbuster you’ll enjoy it. 

• Like 1

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)

m2y0VEW.jpg

The Awesome: One of my favorite shows is called The Coroner on ID Network so naturally the setting of this film is awesome. I mean, morgues are already creepy af but throw in a medically mysterious corpse and Bam! Enjoyed the autopsy parts, as I was glued to what they would find in the body next. Really liked the story concept as simple as it is, I never had seen a film take this material and turn it into a mystery in such a setting. Loved that the father & son ignore the strange occurrences because being morticians they deal with science and reality, so naturally a logical reason for sounds and weird shit would not unsettle them at the start.    Usually something during the reveal of stories like this is ruined because of sloppy story telling but that does not happen here. The reveal actually made me want more and more because the corpses origins can be based on real life stuff, the explanation of the body and it's origins was excellent and it made me want to know more about what people really did with things they could not get rid of and how....

these "cursed" corpses to be would be handled through passage of time from one society to the next, superb shit!!

zhGiXyP.jpg

The Good: The acting was superb. The two male leads, father and son morticians, do a brilliant job and you instantly buy into their relationship thanks to their amazing chemistry which naturally makes you CARE for both of them. The special effects are done real well and only a few times i found myself saying, oh that looks like a prop from the show Face/Off on Syfy. The sound design and atmosphere really ratchet up the tension to an already visually tense situation. The shots of the corpses eyes as they cut into the body were really haunting and was brilliantly used as you feel like either the corpse is going to speak, blink, or  move  but the genius is how the filmmaker made it look like the corpse is speaking to the men in those scenes. The corpse wants her secrets to be found....or does it? The scares are pretty good as there are not many jump scares but they aren't needed as being around all the cadavers and Jane Doe already make you feel like any scene is going to spook you. The clues we are given are terrific as they paint an amazing picture of who Jane Doe is and why she is there. The score is also superb as it doesn't dictate what you should be feeling.

vVa9omx.jpg

The Bad: Some people consider autopsies real life horror so they will skip this and miss out on a fun ride. The last act gets a bit generic in places but its still effective enough to tie everything up nicely. Starts a bit slow but only for the first 30 mins because once it gets going...holy fuck.

I like some realism in films with supernatural elements like this one and always enjoy them more when things are rooted in the real world and most of the film is, except for the scene where the son's gf is axed to death, I mean, I get that her being there was possible, as I kept saying to the son, "you gonna miss meeting your gf and she gonna be pissed"....then she arrives and this is why it bothers me,  1) I hate when characters arrive to look for others and never speak out loud. I mean, she obviously was tired of waiting for him as he clearly forgot from being so caught up with Jane Doe, so you would think she would have entered the morgue calling for her bf. 2) They emphasize the storm of the century outside, yet the gf has no problem getting there and then proceeds to go inside unannounced. 3) A quick scene showing the gf falling outside and knocking herself out and hours later entering the morgue disoriented would have been a much better way to have presented that crucial scene and one last thing about that scene, they just leave her body there on the ground, my gf gets accidentally killed, I'm probably stopping everything and doing the best to get her to a hospital even if there is no hope and i understand the complications at that point but at least try and get her out of there. 

D0rpANw.jpg

The Ugly: The brilliant first half is almost ruined by the second half when some familiar concepts are introduced and while they don't ruin the film, I'm calling it ugly because the lead up is so well crafted and unexpectedly cool that when the familiar arrives it let me down just a little. But that's it, just one real negative and only because this could have been a genre-masterpiece....yeah I said it.

6EFNvb6.png?1

Final Verdict....4/5.... I think if they kept the same pace and went in a different direction in the final act, this could have been a masterpiece. But gets muddled by what I can only guess was studio involvement with making sure the film fits that specific genre and tropes that come with it. Still a solid film that keeps you on edge thanks to the setting, keeps you caring because the main characters are believable, keeps you glued because you want to know more about Jane Doe. Part solid mystery and part horror, it really has me ready to re-watch it to see the things I might have missed the first time. So if you like medical examiner scenario with some mystery, some gore (not over the top or presented in a gross way) and some horror, please watch this movie!!

Edited by Con

• 2 weeks later...

Avengers Infinity War.

Even spoiler tags would be a spoiler.

I can't really rate this until more people see it. I think it is worth paying money to see. I think if you like these movies you should do it sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The_Lady_A said:

Avengers Infinity War.

I can't really rate this until more people see it. I think it is worth paying money to see. I think if you like these movies you should do it sooner rather than later.

Completely agree. 

Can't speak about this movie at the moment. Definitely worth paying to see it and it is very rewarding after 10 years of Marvel movies. 

On 26/04/2018 at 2:54 AM, The_Lady_A said:

Avengers Infinity War.

Agree with this. Anyone even with a passing interest in Marvel films should watch it. Go online and book a ticket now. Yes right now! 

On 26/04/2018 at 9:16 AM, Fido_le_muet said:

Completely agree. 

Can't speak about this movie at the moment. Definitely worth paying to see it and it is very rewarding after 10 years of Marvel movies. 

I was getting a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of marvel films but this one certainly rewarded 10 years of plot building. 

On 26/04/2018 at 12:09 PM, LimeGreenLegend said:

Just read the plot/spoilers for Infinity War, sounds cool can't wait to see it.

You crazy! 

@Fido_le_muet one question about the comics, I know you said the film followed the comics very closely, do they go beyond the storyline of the film and into the next? I’m think of picking up the comics but I don’t want to see spoilers for whatever comes after infinity war. 

I think you'll be safe. It was the 90s and completely over the top ^^ 

In the comics, Thanos snaps his fingers and erase half of the universe, just like in the movie. But in the comics there is Adam Warlock, the most powerful being in the universe and it's him who takes the gauntlet and put things back to normal. Then they leave Thanos be and he becomes a sad farmer lol (that's kinda in the movie).

Perhaps they will replace Warlock with Captain Marvel but I doubt Thanos lives at the end of Avengers 4

12 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@Squirrel just don't want to go to the cinema and there's no good copy to 'borrow' from the internet yet, so I read it instead. 

This is one of those films that deserves a big screen viewing. I saw it on imax and it blew me away. I’m planning on going again soon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

This is one of those films that deserves a big screen viewing. I saw it on imax and it blew me away. I’m planning on going again soon. 

I got a pretty big TV :P

If I could afford to buy out the whole cinema I would go.

• Thanks 1