The Football Thread.

Squirrel

11 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Handball decisions from VAR this weekend have been embarrassing.

Not VAR that’s the issue though it’s the new rule. Ridiculous amount of penalties so far. 

14 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Not VAR that’s the issue though it’s the new rule. Ridiculous amount of penalties so far. 

It's a combo of VAR, daft rules and pressure on the on-field ref.

Yesterday the ref said no penalty when it happened, VAR then asked the ref to look at the monitor. The whole world see's the ball hit the hand of a defender from point blank range and he's under pressure to award the penalty. Regardless of the hand being in a natural/unnatural position, there's no way a defender can move out of the way in a split second. It's hard to jump for a header without using your arms for leverage.

Almost a carbon copy happened today at Spurs.

It won't be long before you can smash the ball at the opponent in the penalty box and win a penalty, simply because it hits the hand/arm in an unnatural position.

Edited by DavidCore89

Man City just conceded their 3rd penalty of the game. It’s crazy how many goals are being scored in these games.

Has to be the highest scoring opening to a season ever. 

Unless you’re a team from Sheffield 

• Like 1

I don;t know about you lot, but for years I've followed all football, whatever league, whatever team, what ever country, but these days, as much as lI love Wolves and bleed gold and black, I am slowly losing interest with all these stupid new VAR rules and handball rules. Just been for a pint with a mate at the local non league team, and am very tempted to go and watch them from now on. I'll always love my team, but top level football is slowly losing its appeal

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

40 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

I don;t know about you lot, but for years I've followed all football, whatever league, whatever team, what ever country, but these days, as much as lI love Wolves and bleed gold and black, I am slowly losing interest with all these stupid new VAR rules and handball rules. Just been for a pint with a mate at the local non league team, and am very tempted to go and watch them from now on. I'll always love my team, but top level football is slowly losing its appeal

Been thinking the same way, shame because I love football. Having no VAR in the Champ is a breath of fresh air.

VAR is trying to create the drama, like a staged reality TV show at times with a shocking VAR decision followed by fake crowd booing.

It's too clinical now. They will analyze every decision until they spot something, or

so it seems. I miss the days where the ref/linesman made a dodgy call, sure teams got shafted, but the drama and excitement was natural. Historical moments in football would never have happened with the interference of VAR.

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

Man City just conceded their 3rd penalty of the game. It’s crazy how many goals are being scored in these games.

Has to be the highest scoring opening to a season ever. 

Unless you’re a team from Sheffield 

Saw the game, to be fair, they looked like penalties.

3 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

so it seems. I miss the days where the ref/linesman made a dodgy call

thats what gave us somethng to talk about on the way back to the car or in the pub

• Like 1

I can’t quite remember what it was like when rugby league introduced their video referee but they certainly didn’t have the instant social media outrage when decisions were made. 

It’s pretty clear when a player puts a foot on a line and deemed to be out of play and it’s something that’s just accepted now. I can imagine there will have been some opposition at the time but not as vocal as it is for football now. 

VAR is the right thing to ensure the rules are applied fairly across all games. It’s tricky adapting the rules to suit the new ability to see everything. 

I can see the thinking of the new handball rule, it’s leaving less down to the interpretation of the ref. How can they be sure if something is accidental or not. Having a clear rule makes decisions easier, it doesn’t seem to be the right rule though.

I don’t think the rule will stay as it but it will be something that we have to live with for this season as they can’t change it until the season is over. It will probably get further clarification of what defines a handball and if it’s intentional or not. 

This weekend my club FC Twente (red teamkit) played against FC Groningen. The VAR was called in after a goal by FC Twente. It took the VAR 5 minutes! to declare that this was off side:

YClIwbT.jpg

Excuse Me What GIF by Naughty Dog

A few weeks ago West Ham were looking like relegation candidates....now having thrashed Wolves 4-0 and Leicester 3-0 (ruining their winning start) what's changed?

Oh, wait, the managers been banned from being at the games after catching Covid....might want to stay at home more if this is the response from the team!

34 minutes ago, AlexHat29 said:

A few weeks ago West Ham were looking like relegation candidates....now having thrashed Wolves 4-0 and Leicester 3-0 (ruining their winning start) what's changed?

Oh, wait, the managers been banned from being at the games after catching Covid....might want to stay at home more if this is the response from the team!

I can't believe how bad you made us look last sunday!!! The worst game I've seen in a few years from us and I've seen us get relegated under dean saunders

edit: and the worrying thing is 45 minutes against arguabley the worst team in the league and we look just as bad

Edited by CatManDoza

8 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Oh yeeeeeeah we've beated Ajax again 🤗 couldn't be happier at the moment 😎

yes mate!!! Goo on Trots van het Noorden

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CatManDoza said:

I can't believe how bad you made us look last sunday!!! The worst game I've seen in a few years from us and I've seen us get relegated under dean saunders

edit: and the worrying thing is 45 minutes against arguabley the worst team in the league and we look just as bad

After doing the double over us last season, I wasn't expecting a positive result for us. At least you have managed to grind out a victory against the bottom side this week 🙂

What is this timeline we are in. Leeds competing for European places while Man Utd are in a relegation battle. 

And somehow Sheffield Utd scored a goal. 

3 hours ago, CatManDoza said:

yes mate!!! Goo on Trots van het Noorden

Although I'm not a Groningen fan. It's always good to read Dutch phrase like that one 🙂

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Schumi6581 said:

Although I'm not a Groningen fan. It's always good to read Dutch phrase like that one 🙂

Not gonna lie, I copied and pasted it from Google. But I have a like for groningen as I've inherited them from @Paulieand John de wolf used to play for both our teams 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

And now villa are beating Liverpool 5-1, wtf sort of alternate dimension is this 

Liverpool conceding 6 on the same day as Man U conceding 6 is absolutely unheard of. 

19 hours ago, Schumi6581 said:

Lols @Schumi6581our clubs had indeed some big rivalry and you maybe even could call us enemies back in the day 😅 Oh man those old days 😎🙈 i've seen it all but I am very happy to be a bit wiser and more easy now. In the end we all love the same game and we are no different but the things we could do to one and another back in day, its just madness. Took me a while realise though 😅

Our old trainer is doing pretty well for his start for your club isn't he? 😉

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Lols @Schumi6581our clubs had indeed some big rivalry and you maybe even could call us enemies back in the day 😅 Oh man those old days 😎🙈 i've seen it all but I am very happy to be a bit wiser and more easy now. In the end we all love the same game and we are no different but the things we could do to one and another back in day, its just madness. Took me a while realise though 😅

Our old trainer is doing pretty well for his start for your club isn't he? 😉

@PaulieYeah man. I think it was 1995/1996 (in the Diekman stadium) when I visited my first FC Twente games. I was 14 years old.  And I even think my first game was FC Twente vs FC Groningen. I can still remember that game because after it I, was running for the riot police. They were sweeping the terrain around the stadium. 

I'm a lifelong FC Twente fan but not a die hard one. I've never really taken part in the great rivalries with other clubs. I just want to see my club play a nice game, win and feel the stadium atmosphere (🍻) when I go there.  And I must say I've always liked FC Groningen. Maybe it is because I lived there for some years and I really like the city. But also because of what they have achieved as a club. I think it's a difficult region to build up such a solid club. And of course because of the world class players that they were able to find over the years.... I mean Arjen Robben! Virgil van Dijk! Luis Suarez! 

Your old trainer seems to be the guy we needed. He did great things at Groningen and PEC Zwolle. I hope we can keep the current flow going.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Schumi6581 said:

@PaulieAnd of course because of the world class players that they were able to find over the years.... I mean Arjen Robben! Virgil van Dijk! Luis Suarez! 

Don't forget John de wolf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1