The Football Thread.

Squirrel

2 hours ago, DavidCore89 said:

Exeter are going well at the moment, they've had a few decent seasons. Definitely on the rise IMO.

Will have to watch them more closely this year, may even go to a few games.

I support Norwich. Got promoted back to the premier league after 3 years last season (if I didn't already make it clear enough).

Last seasons promotion was not meant to happen. The club were just looking for stability with an aim of reaching the premier league after 3 years. We had to make a profit of £20 million in the 2018 summer transfer window to avoid going into administration, which led to selling our 2017/18 player of the season (James Maddison to Leciester).

We got promoted because of some amazing free transfers and youth. Had almost no experience of the championship.

This season isn't looking good. We have 4 centre backs and 3 of them are injured. With a fully fit squad I think we are capable of surviving in the premier league, but the defence is terrible (already conceded 10 goals in 4 games, and play man city next lol).

Only spent £1.1 million in this summer's transfer window, so we know that relegation is likely, but most fans don't care since the clubs main objective is to achieve financial stability, which could lead to us being a more established premier league club in future, and also because we've been promoted or relegated 7 times in the last 11 seasons.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, Spinnaker1981 said:

I am a Benfica (Sport Lisboa e Benfica) fan. 

After a Long time of lowsy football throughout the late 90’s and the 00’s, we have started to play a lot better under this president, which is already one of the best presidents we have ever had. 

With 7 league wins since he was elected in the 03/04 season, and over 120 titles throughout all disciplines (including a Futsal Champions cup and 5 international titles in Basketball), he is fast becoming the most titled president ever. 

This year we have already won the Pt Supercup, with a 5-0 over Sporting Club Portugal (Sporting Lisbon, for some), one of our biggest historical rival., and with 11 goals scored in 4 games in the league, things are looking pretty solid and the 38th national championship win might really happen this year. 

The team is young and solid, and most comes from last year (though we lost João Felix for Atl. Madrid by a record 126M€). 

I am optimistic looking forward for this year’s champions cup... 

But the president doesn't actually play in the team, right? ?

4 hours ago, Schumi6581 said:

But the president doesn't actually play in the team, right? ?

No, but he is the one that chooses the staff (coaches, head of the football division, etc...) And he has been doing a very good job, both financially as structurally. 

The youth academy is his work, and that has given us some very fine players lately (Bernardo Silva, André Gomes, Renato Sanchez, João Felix, Florentino Luis, Ruben Dias, Ferro, Lindelof, Jota, amongst others...).

And the association with José Mendes has been very fruitful as well.

So, yes, I give the most credit to him and his staff (which includes Rui Costa for example).

That doesn´t mean  I don´t give due credit to our former (and current) coaches and players (and we had quite a few good ones coming through in the last few years), but I do feel he is the engine that drives that boat!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

No, but he is the one that chooses the staff (coaches, head of the football division, etc...) And he has been doing a very good job, both financially as structurally. 

The youth academy is his work, and that has given us some very fine players lately (Bernardo Silva, André Gomes, Renato Sanchez, João Felix, Florentino Luis, Ruben Dias, Ferro, Lindelof, Jota, amongst others...).

And the association with José Mendes has been very fruitful as well.

So, yes, I give the most credit to him and his staff (which includes Rui Costa for example).

That doesn´t mean  I don´t give due credit to our former (and current) coaches and players (and we had quite a few good ones coming through in the last few years), but I do feel he is the engine that drives that boat!

Maybe I misunderstand the word president. Dutch clubs do not literally have that job. Next to that, the organisational structures of clubs differ very much in the various european countries.

Here we normally have a supervisory board with chairman, boardmembers, etc. Next to that we have an executive committee with general director, technical director, commercial director, etc. The coach functions below the technical director.

I thought that with president you meant the chairman of the supervisory board. Here we call that the chairman of the club. We definitely not view them as persons that have a huge personal impact on the organisation and performance of the technical side. To the public they are more like a general representative of the club. 
We especially look at the performance of the technical director and the coach. And with coach I kind of mean "manager" of the first team. But (for example) in England I understood that a manager also does a lot more technical director stuff and uses field coaches to do the actual training. More than we see in The Netherlands.

I think the differences also have to do with the fact that, in mediterranean countries, clubs still have actual (non-playing) members (like the socios at Barcelona) that vote for a specific president. Here Football clubs in the premier league are private companies (Ltd's). They really only have shareholders, employees and volunteers.

You still with me? ?

16 minutes ago, Potato said:

I'm ready for norwich to lose 7-1 this evening. Would better off forfeiting the game and taking a 3-0 loss but oh well ?

forfeiting is usually 5-0....

2 hours ago, Potato said:

I'm ready for norwich to lose 7-1 this evening. Would better off forfeiting the game and taking a 3-0 loss but oh well ?

Well that didn’t happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schumi6581 said:

Wow, I even heard Tim Krul did a great job...

All the players played the game of their lives. Best Norwich win I have ever seen, especially considering the injuries. We even had to put 2 goalkeepers on the bench lol.

Oh and also, Pep Guardiola wears Teemu Pukki pyjamas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Potato said:

I do not believe what I've just witnessed.

Champions of England, you're avin' a laugh.

Great win that was.

Was gonna post the other day when you said relegation was likely - there's too many goals in that team to go down IMO.

On 9/15/2019 at 2:09 PM, DavidCore89 said:

there's too many goals in that team to go down IMO.

I know the team is more than capable of scoring goals, but I'm fairly sure we'll finish the season with most goals conceded.

The game before the international break we lost 2-0 to west ham. Could've easily been 5-0 and they figured us out so well we didn't create a single clear cut chance all game.

The problem with the PL this season is there's no really weak team like huddersfield were. And except man city and liverpool, the rest of the 'big 6' look beatable by anyone (Newcastle beat spurs, palace beat utd, watford drew with arsenal, Sheffield utd drew with Chelsea). You can't tell who's gonna go down. IMO this season the team in 18th place will go down with close to 40 points.

• 8 months later...

Looks like football is back on the menu!

It’s going to be a nervy few weeks but I’m happy the leagues are being played out where possible instead of being calculated based on results so far. 

Yeah, good to get football back.

I've kinda lost interest in this season now. I should instead be watching my beloved Wales at Euro 2020 recreating moments like this:

Would be good to see Leeds back in the PL.

Good to be back indeed, gonna be weird with no crowd, but anything is better than nowt.

Wolves have done a thing where you pay £7, send a picture in and get the picture on a massive mosaic covering the whole of the south bank, then you get a special programme and your name in it. Did it as soon as it was released, because when will we ever see the season stopped for 3 months again!

I just hope they sort soemthing out for the europa league, but I'm not holding out too much hope.

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

34 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

Got this at a boot sale this morning... 

8IEbQOp.jpg

Nice. Is it complete?

Used to spend all my money on stickers in the 90's and then open them all outside the shop and the wrappers would be everywhere!

12 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Nice. Is it complete?

Used to spend all my money on stickers in the 90's and then open them all outside the shop and the wrappers would be everywhere!

Unfortunatly not, but my favourite page is complete. The kits page. Love a retro shirt. 

I have found places on ebay that still sell the stickers though. 

• Like 1

Interesting moment in Sheff vs Villa game today. I say moment because the rest of the game was dull as anything. 

What do you think your team would do if they were in Villas position? I definitely know what Bielsa’s Leeds would have done and that would be allow Sheffield to score immediately after half time. 

6 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Interesting moment in Sheff vs Villa game today. I say moment because the rest of the game was dull as anything. 

What do you think your team would do if they were in Villas position? I definitely know what Bielsa’s Leeds would have done and that would be allow Sheffield to score immediately after half time. 

Cant understand why goal line tech didn't do its job

6 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Had money on a draw, so I was pleased, but the Blades definitely got robbed. Those extra 2 points could be the difference between getting into or missing out on a European competition.

Ref is 100% reliant on the goal line technology, no signal means no goal. First time it's failed.

Edited by DavidCore89

12 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Ref is 100% reliant on the goal line technology, no signal means no goal. First time it's failed.

It wasn’t even a close call. Surely the linesman would have been able to tell the ref that the ball was clearly over the line and they need to consult the video to confirm. I don’t understand why VAR wasn’t used to check. 

Just now, Squirrel said:

It wasn’t even a close call. Surely the linesman would have been able to tell the ref that the ball was clearly over the line and they need to consult the video to confirm. I don’t understand why VAR wasn’t used to check. 

It was bizarre. Everyone knew it was a goal.

I thought any second now they'll check VAR and award the goal, but the game just went on. Crazy.