The Football Thread.

Squirrel

Automatic promotion is boring. Far more exciting to go up through the playoffs. It’s being a while since Leeds have won at Wembley too so will be a good day out for the fans. 

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2019 at 12:28 AM, DavidCore89 said:

As for the Championship this season, Norwich are looking like the team to finish 1st, Sheff Utd 2nd, Leeds to win the play-offs.

Called it.

Although I'd probably back Villa for the play-off win now that Leeds are in poor form.

I'd love my team to be in the mix :classic_sad:

9 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

Now I dislike Leeds as much as the next guy, but there was nothing wrong with their goal today

Maybe not but Patrick Bamford's theatrics were bang out of order... f*cking funny though 😅

I've only seen it on my phone, so couldn't see the incident properly. Anything that f*cks off the villa is fine by me

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

• 1 month later...

Anyone watching the World Cup?

It’s England v Argentina tonight and after watching a few bits from other games I am really struggling to motivate myself to watch tonight’s match.

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

9 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

Anyone watching the World Cup?

It’s England v Argentina tonight and after watching a few bits from other games I am really struggling to motivate myself to watch tonight’s match.

Like how you mention the women's world cup, but I mention the fixtures and you go all miserable old man!! lol

In a word no, the quality just isn't there for me, there's a reason I don;t go and watch Kidderminster Harriers every week

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

Like how you mention the women's world cup, but I mention the fixtures and you go all miserable old man!! lol

In a word no, the quality just isn't there for me, there's a reason I don;t go and watch Kidderminster Harriers every week

It’s just the Premiership I have had enough of Cat, still love International Football.

The quality is not great, I think approaching it the same way as the men’s game does not help. The keepers look tiny in those goals, anything well placed in the top corner will more than likely be a goal.

On the plus side though, a whole lot less rolling around on the floor after every tackle and not much diving either.

It’s a lot cleaner game and you’re right about it being honest. 

The level of quality isn’t there though and it’s clear which countries have being able to fund the sport. It’s hard to imagine anyone other than France or USA winning this. 

On the positive side of things, one of my girls in the fantasy team scored 5 goals in her last match. 

• Like 1

I also couldn’t help noticing the attractive players and felt a little guilty about this so I asked Mrs Chubb if she does this when watching men’s football...

Chubb: Do you just check out the good looking men when watching football?

Mrs Chubb: No, I am only interested in their performance.

Chubb: Their performance in bed?

Mrs Chubb: Well, yeah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JuniorChubb said:

It’s just the Premiership I have had enough of Cat, still love International Football.

The quality is not great, I think approaching it the same way as the men’s game does not help. The keepers look tiny in those goals, anything well placed in the top corner will more than likely be a goal.

On the plus side though, a whole lot less rolling around on the floor after every tackle and not much diving either.

fair enough old bean, they'd be rolling around on the floor after my tackle though!!! #notsexist

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JuniorChubb said:

I also couldn’t help noticing the attractive players and felt a little guilty about this so I asked Mrs Chubb if she does this when watching men’s football...

Chubb: Do you just check out the good looking men when watching football?

Mrs Chubb: No, I am only interested in their performance.

Chubb: Their performance in bed?

Mrs Chubb: Well, yeah.

If it makes you feel better, a lot of the football ladies will be more interested in Mrs Chubb than you. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

If it makes you feel better, a lot of the football ladies will be more interested in Mrs Chubb than you. 

Anyone with sense would be more interested in Mrs Chubb than me...

I forgot all about the match and played a Fortnite instead....

However England’s goal was quality, tidy play to get us out the box, broke well and good cross and finish. 👍

• 1 month later...

We’re top of the league, we’re top of the league, we’re Leeds United and we’re top of the league. 😂

I would say it’s good to have the football season back again but Leeds will always be Leeds and even when we win we play a little dodgy. 

Leeds General Infirmary will be getting an increase in heart patients if Casilla keeps performing the way he does between the sticks. 

Another 45 nerve wracking games to go!

Pah! Proper football doesnt start until next week anyway!! Lol or last Thursday if you count europa league

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of making a new thread each season, here's one we can keep going and use to talk about club and national teams.

Who's your team?

How are you looking this season?

What are your expectations?

Discuss!

• Like 4

My home team has been relegated to 5th division because of financial issues...

I support St Etienne in Ligue 1. Don't have high hopes for this season. Would be cool if they could do a nice Europa League stint but that's it. 

Ligue 1 is pretty boring. All they do is talk about stupid Neymar. Can he get the fuck away to Spain already ? Geez 

Edited by Fido_le_muet
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well... I haven't followed club football properly for about 4 years now and won't get back to following it closely this season either, but will still be watching the Champions League as usual. My team has been Chelsea FC since I started following professional football and although the club has gone through very turbulent times in the past 5-7 years, there seems to be a sign of hope on the horizon. Frank Lampard is the new manager this season - the man who is a legend in my memory forever as a player, being one of the reasons why I became a Chelsea fan in the first place and remain a Chelsea fan to this day. Having been a magnificent player for the club for such a long time, he knows the value of Chelsea's academy, which has been neglected for such a long time, and is bringing the young talent into the team. All the legends are long gone and now that Eden Hazard left, too, which is a massive loss to the club, I hope Lampard is doing the right thing and can lead the club back to success and some new local legends can rise from under his hand.

Having seen a few games from August under Lampard's lead, I have reason to believe he can succeed - I saw Chelsea playing with the kind of energy and spirit that I hadn't seen since he was still playing for the club. If he can't turn things around for the club, I can't imagine anyone can, at least not for a very long time.

• Like 1

FC Twente is my club.... Back in the Dutch premier League (Eredivisie) after one year first division....

Hope we can close off a period with a lot of (financial) problems.

Will also try to visit some matches this season. Love the atmosphere in our stadium.

Expectations are low (between 10th and 15th in the league) but it's looking good at the moment (4th after 5 matches).

Also like to follow other Dutch players abroad. Like Frenkie de Jong at Barcelona and Memphis Depay at Lyon...

Edited by Schumi6581

I'm a lapsed football fan.  Support my local team, Exeter City, but they're shit.  I used to go to quite a few home games a few years back, it was always exciting when we scored, though that didn't happen very often.  

In the Premiership I'm an Arsenal fan, ever since the days of Seaman, Adams, Platt etc, then you had players like Wright, Bergkamp, Pires, Campbell coming in in the mid 90s, great time to be a Gooner.  I couldn't tell you a single player in the team now.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Small bit of advice @DavidCore89  don’t start posting about your team being top of the league as karma usually comes back and bites you and your team ends up losing in the playoffs to Derby. 

Lol yeah it's early and the win we had over you was fortunate to say the least.

Championship is a long season, but I think Leeds need promotion this year to keep Bielsa. We would be happy with the play-offs for sure.

7 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I'm a lapsed football fan.  Support my local team, Exeter City, but they're shit.  I used to go to quite a few home games a few years back, it was always exciting when we scored, though that didn't happen very often.  

In the Premiership I'm an Arsenal fan, ever since the days of Seaman, Adams, Platt etc, then you had players like Wright, Bergkamp, Pires, Campbell coming in in the mid 90s, great time to be a Gooner.  I couldn't tell you a single player in the team now.  

Exeter are going well at the moment, they've had a few decent seasons. Definitely on the rise IMO.

Arsenal had a great team back then, enjoyed watching Bergkamp, Henry and Pires in particular.

• Like 1

I am a Benfica (Sport Lisboa e Benfica) fan. 

After a Long time of lowsy football throughout the late 90’s and the 00’s, we have started to play a lot better under this president, which is already one of the best presidents we have ever had. 

With 7 league wins since he was elected in the 03/04 season, and over 120 titles throughout all disciplines (including a Futsal Champions cup and 5 international titles in Basketball), he is fast becoming the most titled president ever. 

This year we have already won the Pt Supercup, with a 5-0 over Sporting Club Portugal (Sporting Lisbon, for some), one of our biggest historical rival., and with 11 goals scored in 4 games in the league, things are looking pretty solid and the 38th national championship win might really happen this year. 

The team is young and solid, and most comes from last year (though we lost João Felix for Atl. Madrid by a record 126M€). 

I am optimistic looking forward for this year’s champions cup...