What're you listening to right now?

JustHatched

Yes, this band is where my PSN name comes from. From The Netherlands, Sinister has been on the European Death Metal scene since 1988. One of my all time favorites. Gotta love cheesy music videos.

• Like 1

The band that started an entire Genre. Death, from Orlando, Florida. Active from 1984 to 2001, when Chuck Schuldiner (vocals, lead guitar) lost his battle with Cancer. Such a shame because he has progressed immensely over his career and was branching out into other genres.

• Like 1

From Liverpool we have the mighty Carcass. Starting off as more of a grindcore band but morphed into a death metal band with their own unique sound. The band was one of the unlucky few death metal bands to sign with a major record label in the mid 90s. The controlling nature of big labels caused the band to fold in 1996. They reformed in 2007 and are still at it.

• Like 1

Coming back from shopping:

Yeah.....If I didn't slow down while listening to this, I WOULD  be going to hell! I looked down and I was doing around 93mph in my damn SuperDuty. Hit the brakes pretty hard, topped a hill and there was a Texas Highway Patrol officer!

Cruise control is a MUST in this damn truck! LOL!

On 4/22/2018 at 10:50 PM, Sinister said:

Now it's the voices in my head while I try and go to sleep.

WELCOME+TO+MY+WORLD.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

On 23/04/2018 at 4:50 AM, Sinister said:

Now it's the voices in my head while I try and go to sleep.

Hush little baby, don't say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It's just the beasts under your bed
In your closet, in your head

@Con I swear that I cannot understand what the hell they are saying in any of the videos from your last post... Is that English???

1 hour ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

@Con I swear that I cannot understand what the hell they are saying in any of the videos from your last post... Is that English???

[Jamaican Patois, as well as its hybridized diasporic slang, is a language used by fluent, native-speaking migrants, second and third-generation Jamaicans, along with non-Jamaicans across the US, Canada, the UK — even Japan. But its cultural prevalence can’t solely be attributed to migration: dancehall and reggae, musical genres thick with patois, have had a presence in the mainstream since as early as the ’70s, and continue, in waves, to engage the pop charts. In the last year alone, Jamaican musicians like Sean Paul, Spice, Popcaan, and Mavado have worked on high profile collaborations with pop artists.

Part of understanding Jamaican patois absorption into mass culture involves understanding its synthesis; and scholarship suggests it might not have even originated in Jamaica. Hubert Devonish is a linguistics professor at the University of the West Indies at Mona, Jamaica. He told me that while no one can be sure, some linguists believe patois began as an Afro-English language, either in Saint Kitts or Barbados, the first permanent British colonies that were founded in 1624 and 1627, respectively. A true hybrid language was formed as a result of European and West African contact due to the transatlantic slave trade. “The critical thing about these creole languages is that they tend to borrow most of the vocabulary from the European language,” he said, “but that the pronunciation patterns and grammatical structures are West African.

Between 1700 and 1834, West African slaves, including those already in Saint Kitts and Barbados, were sent to Jamaica to work on profitable sugar plantations. Colonizers and slave masters forced these people to speak English to prevent clandestine talk of slave rebellion or other communication in their native tongue. This mash-up of literal ‘broken’ English combined with fragments of West African languages became ‘pidgin’ — meaning it wasn’t a native language but rather, a mix of dialects. And as generations passed pidgin became a stabilized, natural language, thus forming the Jamaican creole that is referred to as ‘patwah or patois, meaning ‘rough speech’ in French.]

**** That is the beauty for me in the music....I can't always make out what they are saying, but with every playback I hear more and eventually will make out the lyrics. This is why i Love this music, the sound moves me before the lyrics do and it's like learning a new language.

"Set The Trend"

[Chorus:]
Set the trend, set the trend....wi set the trend
Set the trend, set the trend....wi set the trend

Dem a follow wi
Wi naw follow dem

Wi set the trend
If you see me in the Benz or the BM
Wi set the trend

When yuh talk bout flossing
Is a boss thing
Wi set the trend
When you see me in the streets entourage casting
Wi set the trend

[Verse:]
Direct deposit in a bank account often
We set the trend
A nuh straight bling, bling
A nuh that wi endorsing
We set the trend

Born poor, naw die poor
Number five sucka high score
High as da kite mek it fly more
Dem nuh waan fi see me i soar

Dem cyaa stop my sunshine
Sunshine, sunshine
We nuh care fi the dream I said lying
Wi left dem all ignant
Yeah that mean dem dead stagnant
Tell mi shooter to sell my dollar coin
Mi cyaa dead

[Chorus]

Dem cyaa play me like rennaissance

dem a swear affi mi but away mi gone

Jamaica native from mi bawn

in the summit still in di mud

some bwoy career in remorse

Set the trend, set the trend....wi set the trend [Laughs]
Set the trend, set the trend....wi set the trend [Laughs]
[Chorus]

Edited by Con
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2018 at 10:17 AM, Con said:

[Jamaican Patois, as well as its hybridized diasporic slang, is a language used by fluent, native-speaking migrants, second and third-generation Jamaicans, along with non-Jamaicans across the US, Canada, the UK — even Japan. But its cultural prevalence can’t solely be attributed to migration: dancehall and reggae, musical genres thick with patois, have had a presence in the mainstream since as early as the ’70s, and continue, in waves, to engage the pop charts. In the last year alone, Jamaican musicians like Sean Paul, Spice, Popcaan, and Mavado have worked on high profile collaborations with pop artists.

Part of understanding Jamaican patois absorption into mass culture involves understanding its synthesis; and scholarship suggests it might not have even originated in Jamaica. Hubert Devonish is a linguistics professor at the University of the West Indies at Mona, Jamaica. He told me that while no one can be sure, some linguists believe patois began as an Afro-English language, either in Saint Kitts or Barbados, the first permanent British colonies that were founded in 1624 and 1627, respectively. A true hybrid language was formed as a result of European and West African contact due to the transatlantic slave trade. “The critical thing about these creole languages is that they tend to borrow most of the vocabulary from the European language,” he said, “but that the pronunciation patterns and grammatical structures are West African.

Between 1700 and 1834, West African slaves, including those already in Saint Kitts and Barbados, were sent to Jamaica to work on profitable sugar plantations. Colonizers and slave masters forced these people to speak English to prevent clandestine talk of slave rebellion or other communication in their native tongue. This mash-up of literal ‘broken’ English combined with fragments of West African languages became ‘pidgin’ — meaning it wasn’t a native language but rather, a mix of dialects. And as generations passed pidgin became a stabilized, natural language, thus forming the Jamaican creole that is referred to as ‘patwah or patois, meaning ‘rough speech’ in French.]

**** That is the beauty for me in the music....I can't always make out what they are saying, but with every playback I hear more and eventually will make out the lyrics. This is why i Love this music, the sound moves me before the lyrics do and it's like learning a new language.

Some of the times they may make reference to things that happens locally at a specific time, or at times english words might not necessarily have the same meaning as in the English language depending on the context of the conversation. It could also be hinting towards whatever without explanation because the average local listeners will understand are decipher what is said through them using literary devices or old proverbs.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Some of the times they may make reference to things that happens locally at a specific time, or at times english words might not necessarily have the same meaning as in the English language depending on the context of the conversation. It could also be hinting towards whatever without explanation because the average local listeners will understand are decipher what is said through them using literary devices or old proverbs.

Thank You, Smurf....as you are the AUTHORITY on this topic.

And that also explains why when I ask a Jamaicans living here to tell me what the singer is saying, a lot of times they have no clue. Now I can tell them, You need to go back home and reconnect!! :D  Bun up!!!

Edited by Con
  • Like 1