What do you do?

JustHatched

Update for me. I am unemployed at the moment. My fixed term contract finished and so far I've not got another one arranged. I have an interview next week and other jobs to apply for, also I got quite a nice redundancy payment. I'm kept busy writing a paper with my old boss, who has be reminded sometimes that I'm doing this voluntarily and I don't actually work for him anymore. So despite being an official "job seeker" I'm only really getting 2 rather than 5 more whole days a week for GTA.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Studying music and business at uni (I am the embodiment of studentness), work on building sites and doing gardening with paid work as a musician on top

Edited by Crawford1872
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I am a Certified Medical Assistant working in Family Practice along with Occupational Health. Currently taking online Spanish classes to incorporate the language with work and daily life. Also, waiting for my 1 yr residence as a Californian and apply for the online Bachelor of Science program and obtain my 4 yr degree in Healthcare Administration. :)

I'm currently working as a safety supervisor on the construction site of Facebook's datacenter here in Denmark. Can be boring as fuck, lot of nitpicking and crazy rules to follow but it pays the bills, booze and games.

• Haha 1

I am a certified Drug dealer (Pharmacist) and I own a pharmacy in a small mall in a small city.

The hours are awfull, the pay is non-existant and I don´t even get health insurance, but I have no boss, I live 5min walk away from work and I do have a couple of hours a day to play GTA so not all is bad, Besides, I do like what I do...

That does not mean that if a big tobacco company from the US was hiring a Pharmacist I wouldn´t accept it in a heartbeat, ok @Con? :D:D:D

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, punkbish85 said:

I am a Certified Medical Assistant working in Family Practice along with Occupational Health. Currently taking online Spanish classes to incorporate the language with work and daily life. Also, waiting for my 1 yr residence as a Californian and apply for the online Bachelor of Science program and obtain my 4 yr degree in Healthcare Administration. :)

The app, "Figure 1" is one of my favorites! All the medical bad stuff and medical geniuses around the world all in one place!

5 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

That does not mean that if a big tobacco company from the US was hiring a Pharmacist I wouldn´t accept it in a heartbeat, ok @Con? :D:D:D

Brother, I'm trying to get a job in a state that dispenses cannabis. I want to heal people too. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Con said:

Brother, I'm trying to get a job in a state that dispenses cannabis. I want to heal people too. 

You won't be coming to Texas for a LOOOOOONG time! SHEEEEESH!

• Sad 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 1 month later...

Started a new job this week as a baker. I've never done anything like this before so it is all new stuff for me. Also baker's start very early in the morning, my shift is 4 am to 11:30 so I can make the EU playlists but, sadly, I will miss TNT which is one of my favorites because I'm asleep way before it starts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beez said:

Started a new job this week as a baker. I've never done anything like this before so it is all new stuff for me. Also baker's start very early in the morning, my shift is 4 am to 11:30 so I can make the EU playlists but, sadly, I will miss TNT which is one of my favorites because I'm asleep way before it starts.

Here we have the habit to go to the bakeries eat hot bread or cakes after getting drunk, at 5 or 6 am. Always impressed by the hours those people work.

I too started a new job last year as a resident in Pathology. We're experts on disease diagnosis, a big part of it being cancer diagnosis and staging. I work with surgical specimens, analysing them gross and choosing the samples I'll later watch on the microscope after processing. We also perform autopsies. I love it, it's what I've always wanted to do, the science behind it and the visual work we do by just observing is amazing, but there are negatives. I miss patient interaction from other medical specialities (I'm locked in a lab all day and only deal with other physicians), and the worse, I work with very difficult people, terrible work environment. I'll have a reward in the end, but don't know if I can endure the 5 year-long ride as it's so unpleasant.

Edited by Arruda
  • Like 1

I'm a recovery support worker in a drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre. It's a lovely establishment with really caring owners and staff which absolutely makes up for the unpredictable nature of the role.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2018 at 11:09 AM, Beez said:

Congratulations on the new job!  I had a job for 20 years working those hours.  I got used to it and loved getting off in the afternoon.

We'll definitely miss you Thursday nights.  Maybe you'll make a rare appearance if you ever have a Friday off. :)

Cheers Beez and good luck! 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 2:09 PM, Beez said:

So with certain legalization in your state....let me know when you start selling those Special Beez Cookies!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Con said:

So with certain legalization in your state....let me know when you start selling those Special Beez Cookies!!! 

Beez, the baked baker. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I study chemistry and in the afternoon I teach maths, physics and chemistry in extra-classes so as to pay my university degree.

• Like 4

I'm an asbestos surveyor. I don't enjoy it much, but I do get home at a decent time most days. It's a bit of a dead end job where I am at the moment. I'm trying to get away from the asbestos industry, but not sure what to do instead!

• 5 months later...

Well some of you may have noticed that I have been online a bit more lately and participating in EU playlists. 

This is because I have been suddenly laid off from my job.  This was a complete shock and without any warning.  I arrived at work last week to discover the owner has decided to close up shop.

For twenty years I worked in a machine shop, grinding, welding and overseeing the manufacturing of patented products.

Three and a half years ago I was offered the chance to move to San Diego and work in the document retrieval business where I would help research, locate and procure documents for clients all over the world.

It wasn't an easy decision to move from my home town in Northern California but I have always wanted to live in S.D.

So while this was a huge blow to me mentally I am now looking at it as a new opportunity.  I love to cook and am now looking to the culinary world.  I'm sure I'll have to work my way up the totem pole but I am eager and looking forward to it.

So, that is why you may see me a little more active. :)

• Like 5

I've been a Certified Medical Assistant for 13 years come this December. Recently obtained my Physical Therapy Aide certificate and pursuing my Bachelor's in the upcoming year for Healthcare Admin with a minor in Human Resources Management. 

On 3/5/2014 at 5:42 PM, Dodge said:

I work for a BMW dealer in Central Illinois, US. I'm a Service Writer. Been doing this now for 11 years. Why is my name dodgeservice you ask? Because I worked for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep for over 8 years before the intercompany move to BMW.

Last year I was promoted at my dealership. I am now a Service Manager with BMW. I have been with BMW for 8 years, and been in the automotive industry for about 17 years. I've been with the same dealer group for 16 years. 

I can't believe it's been that long. 

• Like 2

Dodgeservice.png

I am a Diesel Truck mechanic. Mainly work on class 8 vehicles, over the road semi trucks. Current job has me working on everything from Dump Trucks to filthy Garbage Trucks and the occasional shit sucker.

I do engine work, transmission work, driveline, brakes and everything in between. 

25 years in this field, starting with an 8 year tour in the Army. I have a love/hate relationship with this stuff but it pays very well so I suck it up and drive on.

• Like 1

I’ve changed jobs since my last post on here but I’ve been working there over 3 years now. 

Instead of designing doors I’ve been taking my engineering skills to the world of beds. 

Everyones got a bed and it’s a surprisingly important but quite a niche job. Everyone I meet is surprised by what I do. Most of my days are spent creating new designs in 3D then building the prototype beds before they go into mass production. 

We make millions of bed components a year so any mistakes in the design can be very costly so there is a fair bit of pressure on me to get the parts right. 

My actual bed that I sleep in is actually pretty crap and basic so I definitely don’t bring my work home. 

• Like 2

I'm currently a crane operator for a steel company. We have plants all over the United states. We are over seen by a company called reliance. It's a really good job we get monthly incentive bonuses and overtime adjustment checks. The last 3 or 4 months I barely had time for the crew. I'm hoping my hard work pays off. I've put in for supervisor

Edited by Firebear926
Typo
  • Like 2