What do you do?

JustHatched

Clearly his hard work paid off!

Speaking from a non-commercial point of view, I think most musicians aren't in it for the money, there is no big money to be made and that is a fact.

I like to think if you're doing it for the money, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons and you'll actually never be satisfied.

You can do it for the love and the passion of music, but you'll never be rich.

In the scene I'm in, you can book one of the top 5 DJ's in the world to appear at your event for less than £500 per hour or visit their studio for tuition/engineering for considerably less, compare that to the alleged £25,000 per hour of the commercial names of progressive house or trance and the difference is shocking!

Very true. If you're in it for the money, then you're in it for the wrong reason. Then again that lot usually ends up in rehab or with a depression the size of Mars or in the gutter anyways (karma is a b*tch). On the flip side, it takes sooo much energy, dedication, time and (financial) investment, that a certain payback is no more then justified. Also when I said he can live from it ... he's rather close to minimum wage with his 'official full time' job. He does the odd commercial producing or engineering job on top to make ends meet or have a little extra to put aside or to make his next investment.

When my mate started (15+ yrs ago) he was in the GOA/psychedelic trance scene. Needless to say he was in a bit of a niche market there. But as you rightfully mentioned, even in that scene there were some popular German and Israeli DJ's who just racked up the money, while others had to scrape for the leftovers.

It's not a fair world, that music world. I can only observe and be impressed by those with talent and perseverance.

• Like 2

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

Interesting thoughts DC, Ronin, i must add something though, being a producer is something else than being a sound engineer, i do also produce, but it's on the lowdown at the moment cause i have stuff to do with sound engineering.

I'm mixing and mastering, which involves soundstaging, leveling and doing stuff that sounds right to the mix, which is add dynamics or something completely else to subtle things, there really isn't one way to do something.

As for mastering, it goes by the same, sometimes the mix needs a lift up, sometimes it needs loudness (Depending on genre) multi-band compression, etc., or sometimes the mix is so good, that routing it through an old taperecorder makes it stand out!

Point is, sound engineering is making the mix sound good, without messing up the original intention of the artist, if that makes sense?

-

Producing on the other hand, is a very different thing, as i like to call it, they're/we're orchestrators, basically artists, wether or not it's professional, orchestrating and putting something together that sounds good, I'd call that an artist, which is what a producer is!

Just wanted to clarify :) My productions are on halt right now cause of lack of time.

No it's not a fair world, but if the heart follows, there can be big money following, it shouldn't be something that was factor for doing it, but it's still there, i mean, if everyone could do it, there wasn't any money involved right?

If something is very unique, there will be people to listen to it, take for example Skrillex, he's madly famous, but his productions are super crap, but it's unique.

No matter what music it is, if it's unique, there'll be people to hear it.

A good sound engineer doesn't make small cash by the way, a mix and master of an album for example can cost a lot of money, it's about picking your area of expertise, and knowing that your work (wether it being as an artist, or engineer) is worth quite a lot :)

But then again, music is a world that you can never understand a 100%, i read tons of books on all sorts of areas, and it's mindblowing how much stuff there are, and what kind of dedication it needs to master the subject, i guess that filters most of the "doing it for the money" people away from it, cause you can study it for 50 years, and still be clueless on some stuff!

Sorry for the long post, here's a pig:

GLOwF.jpg

• Like 4

b2ExQd1.png

I work for the Mexican Government, My Job is to monitor FM/AM radio stations in a little town so political parties can`t buy air time. And when is campaign verify that the promo spots are within the law.
Everything to promote democracy. 

• Like 4

My wife owns her own flower shop (florist) and I work at the shop as well. I do not play with the flowers though, I am the IT guy, maintenance, delivery, etc......

I grew up in construction, building houses then went on to being a machinist but I have no desire to do either anymore but being multi skilled comes in handy when things need fixed at home and work.

When I read your OP Hatched, I thought I was reading my own story.  Changed a few words to suit my situation.

My wife owns her own flower online shop (florist) (clothing) and I work at the shop as well.  I do not play with the flowers clothes though, I am the IT guy, maintenance, delivery, photographer etc......

I grew up in construction, building houses then went on to being a machinist foreman but I have no desire to do either anymore but being multi skilled comes in handy when things need fixed at home and work.

Things have been pretty slow & quiet for the last year or two, so guy #3 in this video sums up my situation pretty well.......and I ain't complaining.   :)

I was a Bioenvironmental Engineering Technician in the United States Air Force. We were the ones during wartime that would locate weapons of mass destruction using high tech equipment.  Got out 10 years later and became a Field Scientist which involved taking water, air, and soil samples. Been doing this for over 14 years and got bored so just recently graduated from a Respiratory Care Program at Rutgers University. I finally passed all my board exams and got my license to practice as a Registered Respiratory Therapist. Still looking for work but I'm enjoying the free time I get to learn this game. 

Oh and I'm also a full time father to three wonderful kids. 

BTW just because I was in the Air Force doesn't mean I know how to fly. LOL (A few guys from the playlist last night saw my flying skills)  I'm more like a blind person trying to fly a plane. 

• Like 3

nrichmentz.jpg

I'm currently at uni in Cardiff studying Chemistry with a view to do research, teaching or forensic science for SOCA. SOCA stands for Serious Organised Crime Agency and is like MI5 so I would basically be James Bond as a forensic scientist haha.

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

What is your profession?

maxresdefault.jpg

Love that film :D

I'm actually a CAD Engineer, my main role is designing components for the bed industry but I also look after the designs for the machinery needed to produce the components plus maintaining factory and warehouse layouts. I also look after the technical side of the production planning, designing the spreadsheets needed for stock control as well as for managing the many staff we have.

In addition to this I also do any graphics and videos for promoting the business. This can be anything from images for the website to internal presentations. 

We're currently going through the biggest change in the company history with massive investment in new machinery which has meant 3/4 of the machines currently in the factory need to be sited elsewhere. 

• Like 3

I'm a CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) Draftsperson for a Structural engineering company in Ottawa Canada. I help produce the structural design drawings. I also do a little IT work. The company is 60 years old and is responsible for many of the new, old and refurbished iconic buildings in Ottawa as well as many other projects around the world (including some top secret ones). Our big claim to fame however is Toronto's Rogers Centre (SkyDome). We're the engineers responsible for the design of the retractable roof as well as the stadium. It was selected as one of the top 10 engineering projects in the world.

• Like 4

Currently I'm a carer for my 72 year old grandad. It pretty much takes up all my day time, he can manage on his own of a night but I do help him everyday.

I also volunteer 1-2 days a week at my local Vision Support Centre which supports blind and partially sighted people, ie what aids they can get to make life easier etc.

• Like 1

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold B to the Rian, all that matters is you beat the leprechauns"   - Stewie Griffin

I'm a CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) Draftsperson for a Structural engineering company in Ottawa Canada. I help produce the structural design drawings. I also do a little IT work. The company is 60 years old and is responsible for many of the new, old and refurbished iconic buildings in Ottawa as well as many other projects around the world (including some top secret ones). Our big claim to fame however is Toronto's Rogers Centre (SkyDome). We're the engineers responsible for the design of the retractable roof as well as the stadium. It was selected as one of the top 10 engineering projects in the world.

Nice a fellow CAD monkey. What software do you use?

• Like 1

Events Manager and Super Moderator. I love the job, but I haven't seen a paycheck yet. :P

Oh wait, my real job. Eh, I work at an airport, but they won't let me fly. I can go out onto most of the runway though. Overall though, the commute is terrible, the pay is shit, the hours can be draining, and it isn't anything I like to think about when I'm not there. I envy people who have jobs they like; I've yet to ever find one.

• Like 2

I don't really have a profession or a job.

I've been in some regional sales teams, did repetitive stuff such as packing boxes, did a couple of pen-pushing office jobs for banks in uncomfortable suits and also some building work for my brother-in-law's company shortly after leaving school, but none were enjoyable.

So instead I have hobbies and other things, some pay very little, some nothing and some can be expensive, but I'm much more content that way.

Enjoyable jobs are just paid hobbies after all.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 2

Nice a fellow CAD monkey. What software do you use?

Yeah! I was surprised to see that. :D  I use AutoCAD. I also got trained on Revit 3D a while ago but haven't used it enough to remember anything. A couple other guys use it regularly. It's cool to see a whole building take shape in 3D.

Yeah! I was surprised to see that. :D  I use AutoCAD. I also got trained on Revit 3D a while ago but haven't used it enough to remember anything. A couple other guys use it regularly. It's cool to see a whole building take shape in 3D.

I mainly use AutoCAD, prefer to use Solidworks for product design. I had a little go with Revit but I don't do enough work on buildings to warrant learning how to use it properly.

• Like 1

I used to be a coding instructor for younger children, but balancing a job with 18 credits was a lot harder than I thought...maybe I'll pick it up again sometime!

On the other hand, it's awesome seeing how many crew members are familiar with CAD! I learned some myself a semester or two ago and I can say that it gets complicated fast!

• Like 2

I'm a scientist in a university research lab. My official title is Research Associate, which just means I don't do any teaching and I'm not on a permanent contract. I'm in a biology department at the moment but I'm a physicist really and have moved between various different departments. I write, modify and run computer models, then try to work out what the results mean. I currently work on vegetation models of paleo climates (thousands to many millions of years ago). Other people run the climate models, I then work out what plants would have been growing.

• Like 4

I taught guitar for many years through local music stores, enjoyed working with kids and adults, made good money, but now I want something more stable, so I'll be returning to school for nursing in the next year.

• Like 3

I'm a slum lord! Not really, I have a few rental properties. Most are in the city, but I have one large one in the country

I pulled back from my passion to take care of my Mom. Soon I hope to be back building custom cars and trucks. With my new shop, I'll be able to do everything in house and not have to use friends equipment and facilities. No more drag cars being built, except for personal use by me and my boys.

I like old iron, but I'll do something new/er if it's creative and different. I hate doing electrical and sensor wiring, but can do it. My big weakness is upholstery. I just need to do more of it to become better and more creative. I have a friend in San Antonio that does all my high end/custom upholstery work and he's agreed to walk me thru my first project in the new shop that a guy from Scottsdale, Az has been after me to build for him for the last two years. If I bust butt, I can get it done with in a year.

• Like 6

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

I taught guitar for many years through local music stores, enjoyed working with kids and adults, made good money, but now I want something more stable, so I'll be returning to school for nursing in the next year.

Nursing can be an emotionally tough job. I had a great friend that worked at St. Jude. That was emotional roller coaster of a job.

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Car mechanic at a Mazda dealer. We have 2 other dealers nearby and 1 of them also works for the dutch mazda import. Always when there is a new car they have to make them ready for the dealers all over the country and always need my assistance :)

• Like 1