The Star Wars Thread

revbouncer

This trend of cool hatred is really affecting movie ratings. Rotten Tomatoes is becoming the main place to check cinema reviews due to the averaging of critics score as well as a separate audience score. That audience score is too open to outside influences though. Anyone can rate a film regardless of them seeing it or not and with the power of the internet films are getting worse press as a result. Do we really think 50% of the people who saw last Jedi thought it was shit or was it a very vocal 5% who then influenced a lot of internet trolls. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fido_le_muet

• Squirrel

• LimeGreenLegend

• pete_95973

It’s just over saturation.  Star Wars has gone from 6 films in 28 years to 28 films in 6 years (numbers may be exaggerated).  

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Guess who is seeing Solo in 1 hour :D:D

How come France always gets the early release. I’ll be seeing it in 46 hours though so not too long to wait

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Squirrel said:

How come France always gets the early release. I’ll be seeing it in 46 hours though so not too long to wait

Movie release day is wednesday here in France but it's actually quite rare when we get movies first.

But it's almost always the case with big Disney blockbusters so it's pretty cool :D

I remember we got both Guardians and Ant-Man more than a week later though. I think it's gonna be the case with Ant-Man 2.

Sometimes, movies are released more than a month after the US... 

19 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

No spoilers :

It was good but not as good as Episode VIII.

Not sure how to take that as I thought Ep8 was shit :lol:

Glad you enjoyed it though Fido.

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

I enjoyed it but it was a bit lazy TBH.

Also very disappointed by the Kessel Run. Guess my expectations for that were way too high. I was expecting something incredible and it was just meh.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2018 at 8:16 PM, Fido_le_muet said:

Hide contents

I enjoyed it but it was a bit lazy TBH.

Also very disappointed by the Kessel Run. Guess my expectations for that were way too high. I was expecting something incredible and it was just meh.

Kessel run wasn’t the story I was hoping for. I liked the storyline from the Han Solo trilogy books better. 

I was not expecting you know who to show up. 

Great film. It’s a perfect sit down and watch film, few surprises and nothing really to complain about

• Like 2

@Squirrel : I was also totally surprised to see THAT guy in the movie but as a Clone Wars and Rebels fan, it was very rewarding :) 

At first I thought it was the Emperor and thought "of course Qi'Ra works for the Empire" but what happens is much much better. 

The more I think about the Kessel Run, the more I'm disappointed :( What happens in the Solo books ? Is it completely different ? 

• Like 1

My mates haven’t seen Clone wars or rebels so were really confused. I had to explain to them after how it was possible 

As for the book Kessel Run, Han is actually doing a job for Jabba. I can’t remember the cargo but during the run he has to make a life changing decision and drops the cargo which sets up the scene in a new hope. The Spice mines feature a lot more too. 

They're probably going to have Solo dropping Jabbas cargo in one of the inevitable follow up films.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Squirrel said:

They're probably going to have Solo dropping Jabbas cargo in one of the inevitable follow up films.  

If there is a follow up. It's starting really slow so far at the box office. Probably will still make a lot of money but probably not as much as expected.

4 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

If there is a follow up. It's starting really slow so far at the box office. Probably will still make a lot of money but probably not as much as expected.

Too many films aimed at the same audience in a short space of time. I’ve been to the cinema 3 times this month, all of them Imax trips as well so being paying full price premium seats etc. That’s a lot of outlay for the casual cinema goer. 

I was wondering why Solo was released now instead of the usual xmas release but it’s tied in with the release dates for the original trilogy. 

The reception for the film has been great though so I can see potential for a larger audience next week as positive reviews come in and people get paid again. 

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

Too many films aimed at the same audience in a short space of time. I’ve been to the cinema 3 times this month, all of them Imax trips as well so being paying full price premium seats etc. That’s a lot of outlay for the casual cinema goer. 

I was wondering why Solo was released now instead of the usual xmas release but it’s tied in with the release dates for the original trilogy. 

The reception for the film has been great though so I can see potential for a larger audience next week as positive reviews come in and people get paid again. 

Really ? I've seen mixed to positive reviews but nothing stellar. A good way to spend 2 hours but that's it basically. 

And I agree they should have sticked with a december release. It's probably too soon after Ep VIII, especially when people are still talking about how divisive it was. 

56 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Really ? I've seen mixed to positive reviews but nothing stellar. A good way to spend 2 hours but that's it basically. 

And I agree they should have sticked with a december release. It's probably too soon after Ep VIII, especially when people are still talking about how divisive it was. 

A good way to spend two hours is a pretty darn good review though! We hold Star Wars to a high standard of course. But there are gonna be movies every year. As long as they do not become bad experiences I’m all for it. I had a great time watching this movie. 

Hsving slept on it I now think I liked it even more than my first impressions. When Chewy first sat in the co pilot seat Ron Howard found my young boy memories and gave me goosebumps by hitting the original star wars music. 

I also really liked the kessel run scene. I love how it showed his piloting skills and quick decision making to be as important or even more important than the ship. And how awesome was that one shot of the star destroyer blockade. 

The scene with the guy that showed up I think will come into play and be relevant in either the Kenobi movie or maybe the TV show that will be made by the producers of Game of Thrones in a couple years. I think they have a working relationship with Emilia Clarke! ?

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

1 hour ago, pete_95973 said:

And how awesome was that one shot of the star destroyer blockade. 

That shot was the best of the movie but too bad it was in the trailer. No surprise.

4 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

That shot was the best of the movie but too bad it was in the trailer. No surprise.

Bit off topic but this is part of the reason why I avoid trailers as much as possible. 

They really need to follow the lead of films like Infinity War and Deadpool where the trailers actually deceive you to some extent. 

I saw the trailer for the next Jurassic World and to be honest I don’t need to see the film. They’ve pretty much shown the whole film in the space of two minutes.

Its the same with all the you tube channels which analyse everything single detail of a film which means when you go into a film you’re expecting things to happen as predicted. 

Whats wrong with being surprised about a film as you watch it? You can still hype a film without giving away the plot points  

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

So, apparently the title for Episode IX has leaked. 

I won't post it here because spoilers but you should be able to quickly find it. What do you guys think of this title ? 

2 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

So, apparently the title for Episode IX has leaked. 

I won't post it here because spoilers but you should be able to quickly find it. What do you guys think of this title ? 

I’ll be doing my usual thing of sticking my head in a bucket until the actual film release to avoid as many spoilers as possible. 

I’m expecting 10/11 months of speculation from masses of YouTubers who will be predicting episode IX to go a certain way only to be massively disappointed when they don’t get the film they were hoping for. 

If there’s one good thing Rian Johnson has done with The Last Jedi is to open our eyes and to expect something new from the sequels rather than rehashing the original storylines for a modern era of film. 

But if there’s another bloody Death Star in this film I will not be amused. 

• Confused 1

@Squirrel I agree. I personnaly loved The Last Jedi, bar the Leia in space part. That was too much and too sudden. I loved that it was unexpected and I hope Episode IX is the same. 

Star Wars needs novelty. We need more Jedi/Sith lore. I don't expect it in Episode IX but that new trilogy from the GoT guys would be the perfect place for that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

@Squirrel I agree. I personnaly loved The Last Jedi, bar the Leia in space part. That was too much and too sudden. I loved that it was unexpected and I hope Episode IX is the same. 

Star Wars needs novelty. We need more Jedi/Sith lore. I don't expect it in Episode IX but that new trilogy from the GoT guys would be the perfect place for that. 

I have a feeling JJ is going to play safe and we’re going to get a remake of The Return of The Jedi. 

Two hours of fan service, cute forest dwelling sentient beings and a large battle station that needs destroying singlehandey by a brave pilot. I’m guessing a return to Kashyyk is on the cards. (Hopefully on life day)

Rey spends her time following ghost Luke and Yoda around and then somehow Snoke will be brought back to life only to be killed again by Rey and a redeemed Kylo Ren who has given up the Dark Side of the Force and returned to the light.

Rose and Finn will end up doing a side quest on a planet controlled by the Hutts

• 2 months later...