RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

7 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Gordons alive???

What do you mean "Gordon's Alive"?

Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!

Sorry, wrong bit of the film. I never was very good at remembering memorable lines. I think that was the respone to "Flash Gordon Approaching".

Edited by djw180

53 minutes ago, djw180 said:

What do you mean "Gordon's Alive"?

Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!

Sorry, wrong bit of the film. I never was very good at remembering memorable lines. I think that was the respone to "Flash Gordon Approaching".

You just have to insert the following phrases in the middle: Open Fire!!! All Weapons!!

4 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

You just have to insert the following phrases in the middle: Open Fire!!! All Weapons!!

From the soundtrack, which I have listened to far more times than I have seen the film, I seem to now recall it is

General Khala, Flash Gordon approaching

What do you mean 'Flash Gordon approaching''?

On a Hawkman rocket cycle

Open Fire!!! All Weapons!! Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body

dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum FLASH. AHA etc

The best dialogue has to be the wedding vows though.

Anyway @LimeGreenLegend I was going to pick Dune, but now I'm thinking I should join the Flash train.

I'll try and decide late.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Con said:

Starship Troopers

It would´ve been my second choice.... nice!

Did you know it was based on the Ender´s Game story as well?

Edited by Spinnaker1981

2 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

It would´ve been my second choice.... nice!

Did you know it was based on the Ender´s Game story as well?

It's more of a piss take of Ender's Game :D 

1 minute ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

It's more of a piss take of Ender's Game :D 

Actually, after reading through all the books of ender´s universe, I do not agree with you! Its a bit satirical to our society in general, but not to the books! It is pretty much bang on the Idea I had of the actual ground troopers in Ender´s universe while I was reading through them (and I ended up watching the movie afterwards because of the reference).

I see starship troopers as a lighthearted movie, but not exactly a comedy...

4 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

Actually, after reading through all the books of ender´s universe, I do not agree with you! Its a bit satirical to our society in general, but not to the books! It is pretty much bang on the Idea I had of the actual ground troopers in Ender´s universe while I was reading through them (and I ended up watching the movie afterwards because of the reference).

I see starship troopers as a lighthearted movie, but not exactly a comedy...

I've only read Ender's Game and didn't like it at all, and the author is a prick :D 

I get how you can have a different perspective from reading them all though.

You guys aren’t making it easy to choose. Two films have been selected that I really want to watch now. I keep thinking that my choice of film won’t be as appealing as either Flash or Starship. 

I’ve got one film in mind that is an epic story and will appeal to a lot of people but it’s fairly modern so it’s not really introducing people to something they may never have seen. 

My other film is a personal favourite. But I know my taste is fairly weird so it won’t have the same impact as the cult classics already selected. 

2 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

You guys aren’t making it easy to choose. Two films have been selected that I really want to watch now. I keep thinking that my choice of film won’t be as appealing as either Flash or Starship. 

I’ve got one film in mind that is an epic story and will appeal to a lot of people but it’s fairly modern so it’s not really introducing people to something they may never have seen. 

My other film is a personal favourite. But I know my taste is fairly weird so it won’t have the same impact as the cult classics already selected. 

Pick what you feel is right. I am wondering if anyone here hasn´t seen either Flash or Starship Tropers... I think that it won´t be the first time for anyone here on both those ones.

On the other hand, those 2 are just solid landmarks of the genre and, even if there is a chance that just one of us hasn´t seen them, then they need to be here...

It would be the same with star wars, but I cannot phantom the idea that any of us here hasn´t seen the original trilogy...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

Pick what you feel is right. I am wondering if anyone here hasn´t seen either Flash or Starship Tropers... I think that it won´t be the first time for anyone here on both those ones.

On the other hand, those 2 are just solid landmarks of the genre and, even if there is a chance that just one of us hasn´t seen them, then they need to be here...

It would be the same with star wars, but I cannot phantom the idea that any of us here hasn´t seen the original trilogy...

What's a Star War?

• Thanks 2

The coin toss result is in. Blame @LimeGreenLegend if you don’t like it ?

My choice is Transformers The Movie (1986) I think I’ve suggested it before so you know the deal with it. Epic cast and soundtrack. As well as glorious space battles. 

The losing coin flip film was Rogue One. 

• Like 3

September nominations:

Edge of Tomorrow/Live. Die. Repeat.

Flash Gordon

Starship Troopers

Transformers: The Movie (1986)

Dune

Battle: Los Angeles

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

September nominations:

Flash Gordon

Starship Troopers

Transformers is animated movie right? Because I don´t remember anything else from that era!

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

Transformers is animated movie right? Because I don´t remember anything else from that era!

Yeah it is. Features the voices of Leonard Nimoy, Orson Welles, Eric Idle. 

On 8/29/2019 at 3:43 PM, LimeGreenLegend said:

September nominations:

Flash Gordon

Starship Troopers

Dune

Battle: Los Angeles

Pinch punch first of the month.  Time to do your thing @Con

• Confused 1

Just a quick note on this.

It's the 1984 David Lynch film rather than the  made-for TV mini series. There is also a "Special TV edition" of the film, which I mistakenly bought. I personally would not recomend this version (and it appears, according to IMDB, David Lynch would not either). The extra features I think are mainly just some narrated scenes to drawn art work giving extra background to the story. But having the read the book more than once I know that background story very well already.

Edited by djw180
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, djw180 said:

Just a quick note on this.

It's the 1984 David Lynch film rather than the  made-for TV mini series. There is also a "Special TV edition" of the film, which I mistakenly bought. I personally would not recomend this version (and it appears, according to IMDB, David Lynch would not eityher). The extra features I think are mainly just some narrated scenes to drawn art work giving extra background to the story. But having the read the book more than once I know that background story very well already.

So is that the one with Sting and Patrick Stewart? 

Its a good choice, The new Dune is coming early next year. Good time to watch the old one!