This thing called "racing"

newyork-nightmare

Im getting better now I guess, played 6 races with Rev today and two others. Came in overall 3rd out of 4. 

Seem to do better on bikes. 

"You have enemies? good, that means you stood up for something in your life"

newyorknightmar3.jpg

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• newyork-nightmare

• Dodge

• DavidCore89

• rumdig

Breaking the slipstream before the actual pass is what I'll try to do from now on. Which in the heat of the moment might produce a frontal collision with a tree :D

One skill that I honed during the loner days with lobbies full of ramming idiots that all love catchup...learn to time the finish. 

I've won numerous races when it comes down to the end, just me and another battling for the finish. If I notice that we have only a few checkpoints to go I'll tap the brake and allow the other driver to pass (I try to minimize the amount of slipstream that they receive, that way your not left in the dust). If performed and timed correctly, once you get behind and slipstream you'll be better aligned to take the lead at the opportune time. The important aspects are limiting their slipstream and maximizing yours...all at the right time. I've even purposely stayed in 2nd until just before the finish in an effort to set up the pass. 

• Like 1

One skill that I honed during the loner days with lobbies full of ramming idiots that all love catchup...learn to time the finish. 

I've won numerous races when it comes down to the end, just me and another battling for the finish. If I notice that we have only a few checkpoints to go I'll tap the brake and allow the other driver to pass (I try to minimize the amount of slipstream that they receive, that way your not left in the dust). If performed and timed correctly, once you get behind and slipstream you'll be better aligned to take the lead at the opportune time. The important aspects are limiting their slipstream and maximizing yours...all at the right time. I've even purposely stayed in 2nd until just before the finish in an effort to set up the pass. 

This is one of the primary reasons most of my tracks do not have a long straight before the finish. I will usually find a way to make a turn before the finish so you have to drive the car, not manipulate the game physics.

• Like 4

Dodgeservice.png

I noticed.. lol 

• Like 2

newyorknightmar3.jpg

This is one of the primary reasons most of my tracks do not have a long straight before the finish. I will usually find a way to make a turn before the finish so you have to drive the car, not manipulate the game physics.

Good idea. I'd MUCH rather be involved in a straight up race, no slip stream, no catchup, no crap. 

• Like 1

Yeah I dislike the racing physics in this game but that's because I'm used to playing more realistic racing games as opposed to arcade racers.

If it wasnt for this crew, my only racing would be super mario kart. which I kick ass at. btw! take you all down!! lol 

Edited by newyork-nightmare
  • Like 4

newyorknightmar3.jpg

Yeah I dislike the racing physics in this game but that's because I'm used to playing more realistic racing games as opposed to arcade racers.

Same, it's taken me a few months to finally get used to the GTA style racing.  I used to heavily rely on having my car tuned to match the course, but that can't happen now, and throw in the fact I prefer to go into corners slow and come out fast which equals getting rammed by people who do the opposite.

• Like 1

Same, it's taken me a few months to finally get used to the GTA style racing.  I used to heavily rely on having my car tuned to match the course, but that can't happen now, and throw in the fact I prefer to go into corners slow and come out fast which equals getting rammed by people who do the opposite.

I couldn't agree more, I often get smashed when I brake for a corner which makes me think - was the dude behind intending on braking?

Probably not  :lol:

• Like 1

I tried to run the GTA event races they have on right now, but the deliberate bashing is just too much, and the pay out isn't worth it.  The accidental bumps in crew races would sometimes bug me, but not any more!  I'll take those any day now.

I noticed that I've been hitting people more since the intro of the non-contact.  I'll run a bunch of races with it on and then start one where it's off and I think I'm going to pass thru someone and *crunch*... "sorry!".

almost spit my coffee out in laughter this morning when troy ran me off the cliff in Revs race.

Sometimes its fun. 

• Like 1

newyorknightmar3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The way I think about racing is this:

Your tires only have SO much grip.  You can only use grip for three things: braking, turning and going.  When you are braking and turning at the same time, 50% of your grip is applied to braking and 50% to turning, so you won't do either of those as well as if you were only braking or only turning.

So, with that in mind, let's look at basic racing theory, outside-inside-out.  What this means is that a road is wider than a car (usually), so when you take a corner, you should start on the outside of the road, turn in so you are near the corner, and when you are finished your turn, you should be on the outside again, as such:

cornering1.gif

In this image, the Apex is the point at which you should be going slowest.  Another cliche / rule in racing turns is: slow in, fast out.  This means it's better to enter the corner slower than you think may be necessary so you can maintain control, but once you are at or just past the apex, be fast... gun it out (but remember don't lose control of the back tires).  I apologize if matusware's information already covers this.  Just thought I'd lend a quick tip while at work.

To tie in to my first point about grip, do this: when you want to slow down, do it while going straight... when you want to turn, do not use gas or brake while turning and you will get the most grip.  Of course if you use 20% gas while turning or 20% brake, you will still have that 80%, but this level of control can be difficult using a PS3 controller.

Edited by plaerzen
  • Like 2

Yeah that's a good visualization, now if you had a picture on how to go into a corner slow and come out fast while the person behind you has the opposite thought in mind (go in fast, crash.. recover.. exit slowly) I'd love to see it.

• Like 1

Yep, that's always the problem.  Some scrub behind you doesn't know how to use his L2 button, smashes into your rear end, throwing you off course.

• Like 1

Yep, that's always the problem.  Some scrub behind you doesn't know how to use his L2 button, smashes into your rear end, throwing you off course.

The only answer for that is Non Contact, I don't care for that mode but it is what it is.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

The only answer for that is Non Contact, I don't care for that mode but it is what it is.

I still avoid other racers in non contact.....

• Like 3

That's why I take the late line in the first turn...while everyone is slamming into one another I'm coasting past.

Oh wait, perhaps I got that backwards. I'm the guy that uses your bumper as brakes. Haha. Jk

I had a terrible race record prior to joining.  Although I am still no expert, I have learned a lot just by continued practice.  I also watch how my fellow crew members drive certain tracks, and just work to improve on a daily basis.  Rev, Matusware, DavidCore, Arruda, and others have taught me quite a bit, so if you are serious about improving, look for their invites to various racing playlists.  Some of the more complex tracks will often take time to master, so practicing solo will also be good practice.

I've been trying to watch other crew members. But once they go around that first corner, I seem to be on a Sunday drive by myself :)

• Like 1

you and me both morbyd. 

newyorknightmar3.jpg

We should have different classes of racer, class 1 is your desunos, revs, cores etc, class 2 is pretty much everyone else apart from the class 3's (they'll know who they are)

• Like 2

Which are u PB?

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I'm certainly not in the same class as Rev or DC, but I don't know where I fit in.  For me, it depends on the class, track, who I'm racing against, and how much sleep or beer I've had.  I am horrible at compact races, but I feel like I do ok with sedans and muscle.  Sports and supers--it's hard to tell.  I'm terrible at making u-turns, and some of those roads in Vinewood Hills kick my ass every time.

Is there a class of inconsistency?

• Like 1

I beat desuno in a race last night. I sharded my pants when I realized I was going to win. But then I thought he was probably eating dinner at the same time, or something. 

• Like 4

newyorknightmar3.jpg