This thing called "racing"

newyork-nightmare

I've always been a fan of racing in real life.  But not as much on the PS3. Always preferred the shooting and other sports games.

My last crew were a bunch of bone heads that all slammed into each other and I could never join their sessions with out timing out.

But I only have had a few timed out issues in three weeks with you guys and it seems the majority of stuff done here is racing.

So I've already reached out for some tips from individual members but looking for some input.

Maybe some other non-racing members will find this helpful too.

First question I have right now is.

What's the best race I should practice on?  (please don't say "criminal records")

Remember! I'm blind in one eye, color blinded in the good one. Cant hear out of my left ear. And use a hook as my right hand. 

Get me to win a vetting race eventually and maybe hatched will make it a weekly challenge award. 

"You have enemies? good, that means you stood up for something in your life"

newyorknightmar3.jpg

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• newyork-nightmare

• Dodge

• DavidCore89

• rumdig

Remember! I'm blind in one eye, color blinded in the good one. Cant hear out of my left ear. And use a hook as my right hand.

Well your new nickname is obviously Lucky. The courses pointed out above are a good start. The best learning experience I can offer, is race very often. Try to follow someone who is a good racer. Pay attention to their car control. Where do they let off the gas before a turn, when do they brake. Speed is a natural byproduct of control. If you can control your car, your car can be fast. Giving up time by braking early, or going slower around a turn is still way faster than wrecking.

Once you can control the car in a race atmosphere, your lap times will come down with experience.

Keep trying. You'll get it. We have some of the best racers I've ever had the privilege of competing against. If you can pickup some of their characteristics, you'll do fine.

• Like 3

Dodgeservice.png

I probably hold the worst racing record in the crew -- with about 95% DNFs of total legit races!

I need a lot of tips and practice as well. I will practice with you if you would like? :)

Not to long ago Matusware made a beginner track called Racing School 101, also gave some very helpful tips in the topic of the same name!...

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption...

cotick20.jpg

I have a record of 40 and 322. Don't give up you will get better. When I joined this crew I was lucky to finish a race and now I usually finish in the top half of the races next the wins will come for me like they will for you.

• Like 1

I had a terrible race record prior to joining.  Although I am still no expert, I have learned a lot just by continued practice.  I also watch how my fellow crew members drive certain tracks, and just work to improve on a daily basis.  Rev, Matusware, DavidCore, Arruda, and others have taught me quite a bit, so if you are serious about improving, look for their invites to various racing playlists.  Some of the more complex tracks will often take time to master, so practicing solo will also be good practice.

• Like 3

I've always been a fan of racing in real life.  But not as much on the PS3. Always preferred the shooting and other sports games.

My last crew were a bunch of bone heads that all slammed into each other and I could never join their sessions with out timing out.

But I only have had a few timed out issues in three weeks with you guys and it seems the majority of stuff done here is racing.

So I've already reached out for some tips from individual members but looking for some input.

Maybe some other non-racing members will find this helpful too.

First question I have right now is.

What's the best race I should practice on?  (please don't say "criminal records")

Get me to win a vetting race eventually and maybe hatched will make it a weekly challenge award. 

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/L6IUkMNWp0yU87NXurQpJw?platformId=null <- there, Racing School 101, when you get to the finnish line without any crashes, spins etc, you have passed my handling test, you crash , spin or anything alse or as much as lose a paint you will fail, this can be done without any spins, crashes ANY DAMAGE in under 2min, criminal records teaches you only few things, dry road, easy right turning and speed, one thing you must remember always that you may have learned how to beat one track but it dosent mean you mastered racing, anyone can learn track and how to beat it, truly good driver can handle any surface any curve and any car in any track, i can teach you basics rest is up to you..

• Like 1

To go fast on any track, you must 1st learn where the track goes. Then you learn your braking points. Each tine you do a particular track, look to learn something new from it. Don't try to block when being passed, it causes accidents. Passing or making up time under brakes will happen as you learn the braking points. I use telegraph poles, street signs, trees, bushes, fences, buildings, anything that stands out so I can see it easily next time around, Take racing lines wherever possible, the shortest way around a track is the fastest.!

• Like 3

C-Bot - Seems like all we do is practice together. lol 

thanks for all the information guys. Much appreciated! 

newyorknightmar3.jpg

Learn to crawl before you can learn to walk. Your goal is to finish a race without crashing. Go as slow as you need to, to accomplish this. It will still probably be better than your average performance if you pull it off. Your times will improve without you even noticing it if you work through things this way. After control, comes speed, and the later comes naturally when you learn the limits of the car, track, and your own skill.

To this day, I'm still discovering stretches of road in popular races that I can do in full throttle and I had no idea of it. Because I hadn't tried before, as my goal is to finish without spinning or crashing. And yet I could still win a few of those races before. Why? Because I didn't crash.

Edited by Arruda
  • Like 3

Ok, I am no longer in the 'zero wins in racing' category -- I won a race today -- not sure how I did it and that it was motorcycles -- but I don't care!!!!

• Like 3

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption...

cotick20.jpg

OK,  new stupid question.... 

brake (L2) vs handbrake (R1 & X)  

I know the difference in real life, but does the same apply here. Who uses what and when? 

• Like 2

newyorknightmar3.jpg

Handbrake makes you slower than just handling the corner. When the tires are sliding, the car is just scrubbing off speed. I use the handbrake to make up mistakes I make in missing a braking point on hairpins. Not a good practice, but it beats ending up in the Los Santos River.

• Like 2

Dodgeservice.png

Brake?  Who needs a brake?  That's why guard rails were designed!

Seriously though, I've never really used the handbrake due to it's semi-awkward positioning on the controller.  Well, that's before I figured out that X was also used for the handbrake.  I often forget it's even an option now.  Should I ever use it?

• Like 1

Tried using the handbrake on those 2 final corners of Tight Corners and the camera went all weird as well. It created understeer though while I was looking for oversteer.

In other games it works as oversteer, pretty sure GTA IV was one of them. Or was it?

Tried using the handbrake on those 2 final corners of Tight Corners and the camera went all weird as well. It created understeer though while I was looking for oversteer.

In other games it works as oversteer, pretty sure GTA IV was one of them. Or was it?

I'm not an expert on driving and such, but I have the impression that it can be used to both oversteer or understeer depending on how the weight of the car is shifting and how you balance it. If you hand-brake before turning you'll understeer, but if you apply the normal brake (shifting the weight of the car to the front tyres), turn sharply, and only then quickly tap the handbrake you can get the rear of the car flying off.  I use this to get past that sequence of 3 hairpins in Grand Alamo Rally for example. It requires a lot more skill to pull in tarmac though, due to the extra grip.

Edited by Arruda
  • Like 3

I use 'x' for handbrake, I'll only use it on a very tight hairpin too.

The camera does go a bit weird I agree. 

I'm getting the hang of it, slowly.. Thanks for all the help guys.

newyorknightmar3.jpg

New question for the feed. From a dumb ass racer wanna be. 

I did a race recently with someone and it was a straight away. We were both in the same car, same terrain. But he literally left me in the dust.

Custom cars was enabled. Is this why? Was his car just more powerful then my generic car that the race gave me? 

If so, then I guess I must buy one of each class and customize the shit out of it so I can compete. 

newyorknightmar3.jpg

This is also my ongoing gripe and the reason I never race unless utterly bored.

Must get willing crew member to trade races.

New question for the feed. From a dumb ass racer wanna be. 

I did a race recently with someone and it was a straight away. We were both in the same car, same terrain. But he literally left me in the dust.

Custom cars was enabled. Is this why? Was his car just more powerful then my generic car that the race gave me? 

If so, then I guess I must buy one of each class and customize the shit out of it so I can compete. 

If your car was not fully maxed out PV I would think that is why.

Note that damaged cars have less performance too.

Get a member to trade race wins with you, there is always someone who needs more wins to unlock something.

I'm online now and will let you beat me round Criminal Records repeatedly if you like?

I think I'm fully maxed already.  Will check when Im online. But im 95% sure.

I just dont have every car class in my garage. Does that matter?

For instance if we ran a sports class race now and I dont have a customized sports car. And I got a generic car from the race lobby. Will it treat it as a customized one with turbo if my race skills are maxed out?

Dont know if Im making sense. 

newyorknightmar3.jpg