Euro 2016

zmurko

I reckon it deserves it's own thread, don't you think? :)

French on strike, terrorist threats, drunk supporters, ... let's hope all goes well...:unsure2:

Started with usual scenes already:

What are your predictions? Who are your favourites?

Without knowing results from any qualifications matches or pre-tournament friendly matches, I give best chances to Germany, Spain, France, England and Belgium with minor chances for some eastern countries like Russia, Poland and Croatia (they can do extremely well or extremely poor).

Btw, is this their first Euro for for N.Ireland and Wales?

• Like 2

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• Squirrel

• zmurko

• Fido_le_muet

I think it will be Germany, France or Belgium. To me spain isnt what it used to be after we kicked their asses at the WC in Brasil (i still get goosebumps when i see the highlights of that match+radio commentators voice with it).

6 minutes ago, nicolabellamy77 said:

when england inevitably get kicked out then im going for holland :)

Good luck with that. England have way more chance than Holland of winning this year. Might have been different if Holland had qualified. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Good luck with that. England have way more chance than Holland of winning this year. Might have been different if Holland had qualified. 

Looking at the players we got at the moment and how they play we wouldnt be able to survive the group stage. Maybe win 1 match but thats it.

It's for the greater good we didnt qualify

14 minutes ago, Team_Bub_8487 said:

English football supporters abroad can be such an embarrassment :(

They behaved pretty well when they visited Ljubljana for the Slovenia-England qualifiying match. It's when they meet other "big"/"football" nations, that's when they usually lose it (Germany, France, Italy, ...). One provocation and these drunk idiots (not just English) start to behave like pack minded animals. It's even worse when there's some nationalism and/or historic issues involved. It's sad really, though from what I understand there's a lot of english supporters that are pretty much forbidden to travel abroad or visit local matches because of their history, otherwise it could be a lot worse.

Edited by zmurko

The English have been tarred with the hooliganism of the 80's/90's. On the most part they have now calmed down even though there are a few dodgy types still. Some of the Eastern European fans are shocking though. Turks are a nightmare. Russians & Poles also have a severe problem with hooliganism in their own country.

England have the reputation though and that's a good story for the media to focus on.

Yes, I suppose you need to be aware that the media will always fixate on something that fits into an established story - in this case English hooligans abroad - and blow it up.

u0rf6Cd.jpg

Aside from these English hooligans showing the negative side of football fans, I'd like to get back to Z's questions.

6 hours ago, zmurko said:

What are your predictions? Who are your favourites?

Without knowing results from any qualifications matches or pre-tournament friendly matches, I give best chances to Germany, Spain, France, England and Belgium with minor chances for some eastern countries like Russia, Poland and Croatia (they can do extremely well or extremely poor).

Btw, is this their first Euro for for N.Ireland and Wales?

My predictions are quite similar to yours, actually. I think the most likely teams to win are Germany, France, England, Belgium with perhaps Poland and Portugal also having a chance to make it far. Don't feel like Spain could win, although they'll probably make it to the semis or even the final. Also feel like Iceland might be one of the surprising teams of this tournament and might make it further than we think.

I'm personally rooting mainly for England, since I have done so ever since the Lampard/Terry/Cole/Gerrard days and I think England has got a really good chance this time. Other teams I'm excited about are Belgium and France.

And yes, Z, Northern Ireland and Wales are 1st timers at the Euros. So are Albania, Iceland & Slovakia I believe. Will be exciting to see how all the debutants will fare. :)

I place quite a few bets during these tournaments (actually, it's daily).

Here are a couple.

Germany outright winners - Got a crazy 16/1 on this due to double odds!

Griezmann for the Golden Boot.

England to get knocked out at the quarter final stage.

No idea how Wales will do, the first match against Slovakia is crucial as the next 2 matches will be tougher again.

Edited by DavidCore89

@zmurko yes sir this will be the first time that Northern Ireland have qualified! its great to see them their this year. im gonna support Ireland and the North in the hopes of doubling my chances lol

• Like 1

Competitive Thursday, TDM madness 8pm GMT

1 hour ago, Protocawl said:

And yes, Z, Northern Ireland and Wales are 1st timers at the Euros. So are Albania, Iceland & Slovakia I believe. Will be exciting to see how all the debutants will fare. :)

Damn, you're right it's a first major tournament for Albania and Iceland as well. I thought Slovakia has already taken part at one in the past, but it turned out they've been at the World Cup not Euro. So has Wales back in 1958 and looks like N.Ireland has been to few WCs as well.

• Like 1

Delighted with the Wales win :D.

Great game as well. We got lucky at times, but just about deserved 3 points.

On a side note - Martin Skrtel was lucky to finish the match, should have been sent off in the first half and seemed to get even more aggressive as the match went on. Kinda like roid-rage :P

Your turn, England.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 2

Rule #1 of European football - Enforce a street ban on all alcohol.

Look how much green glass is on the ground... Shocking.

• Like 1

It's partly our fault. We're not strict enough. DC is right. Alcohol should be banned in all bars from the city centers. I think it was supposed to be the case but you can still buy that in the numerous supermarkets around town. And that's what happened when I see all these packs of beer lying around.

It's not all alcohol's fault. Yes, english supporters most likely consumed a lot of it and caused some chaos, but those local supporters provoking them (assuming they're mostly muslims) probably didnt drink any and it's what caused those scenes.

Same goes for those extremist russian "supporters", who actually live for this. They're organized almost as paramilitary groups, practise martial arts and this is what they do at home, fight with opposing supporters. It's insane over there. :/ Hopefully local russian police forces know how to deal with them, but I still wouldn't travel there as a football supporter, even if you payed me.