Should we stay or should we go?

Squirrel

5 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I just hope this doesn't give any ideas to other countries :(

I would say it will and that is the biggest effect this will have outside of UK.

Edited by Lann

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirrel

• DavidCore89

• LimeGreenLegend

• silenttigercd

It definitely will. Countries like Denmark and the Netherlands are next. 

This is all a bit scary. I don't think it will impact our personnal lives very much but it will have big consequences for EU and our respective countries.

Good news is, it's time for a UK based EU XDBX meetup now that the British pound is worth nothing :D

Edited by Fido_le_muet

I'm not sure it will. Hopefully the immediate and negative consequences that the UK will face will bring a dose of reality to "exiters" in other countries. I mean, some parties will defend it no matter what, it's their own reason for existence. But it will be a lot harder to sway other people if they don't see the UK as a succesfull example of leaving. Let them be our guinea pigs and example, while they sail to their 18th century glory and "become great again" . 

I think it will.

Other countries will realize that we left the EU for a good reason.

People are losing faith in the European Union, not just in the UK.

I don't get that worry about the pound, still stronger than any other currency and it will only stabilise more as time goes on.

We're hardly in a Zimbabwe situation where a loaf of bread costs a weeks wages.

I am now a little worried that it will take some time to find our feet, but I believe eventually we will be strong again.

My main regret with voting leave (I'm in the minority with this one) but I worry that the refugees will struggle to find sanctuary with us, immigrants were never a concern with me. I only saw them as people getting away from violence and poverty.

One thing I am glad about, Cameron's gone!

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold B to the Rian, all that matters is you beat the leprechauns"   - Stewie Griffin

Yeah I have no worries over the pound, it'll recover and soon be the strongest currency in the world again.

A drop in value was expected after leaving the Union.

The uneducated broke the pound! :D

• Like 1

Exactly, this is all expected instability, not surprising when you throw off the crutches you've been using for 40 years.

• Like 1

so you guys actually feel that the Union was holding you back?

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

I've just been reading up on immigration and the fate of existing EU workers here in the UK. Anyone who has got a national insurance number will be fine and will have no issues being allowed to stay. That has been a big worry for that girl I've been seeing a lot of.

Until an actual exit deal is reached all those migrants coming to the UK can apply and work as they have been doing however once the deal is finalised and the exit day is confirmed that will probably no longer be the case. I'm expecting a large increase of migrants coming over here before the door is shut. 

I'm all for economic migration and for mixing up the population with new cultures so closing that door in two years time can not be a good thing and is against everything that makes Britain British.

The other big issue that has swayed the masses is the money we have been paying to be part of the EU. Everyone of us should have seen the big bus advert and this other smaller advert shown below but barely an hour after the final results were in Farage was already back tracking on this pledge and saying he never said it. Bloody politicians. 

Vote-leave-nhs-claim-.jpg

I thought that dude would want to be the first one to step in and lead the negotiations

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

He admitted it was a mistake to say the £350 million WOULD go to the NHS, after all he can't guarantee where it'll be spent, but it'll be spent in the UK that's for damn sure.

Pretty sure he already said he doesn't want to be PM.

Edited by DavidCore89

1 minute ago, DavidCore89 said:

He admitted it was a mistake to say the £350 million WOULD go to the NHS, afterall he can't guarantee where it'll be spent, but it'll be spent in the UK that's for damn sure.

From what I've read there were cash-ins from the EU as well, I don't know much aside from what I read on the issue but well, they never tell the whole story, they are like people in general in the sense that they are like scales, they fall towards what's more convenient and never tell you the whole story... I know he said he didn't want the PM position, did he say it before the actual results came out?

www.ishare4free.com

Also, pretty sure we will have a points system like Austrailia for people wanting to migrate here. Its not a closed door, its a door with a bouncer. That's not racist, it's sensible.

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

He admitted it was a mistake to say the £350 million WOULD go to the NHS, after all he can't guarantee where it'll be spent, but it'll be spent in the UK that's for damn sure.

Mistake or carefully placed lie to get people on the side of the vote Leave campaign. It's exactly the kind of statement which appeals to the less informed voters.

This is why I hate politicians, they will say anything to get a vote. Is a victory based on a lie still a sweet victory? 

As for him being PM, wouldn't that far right party of his have to become the majority in the house first? It's going to be down to one of the leading Leave Campaign Tories. 

6 minutes ago, grjkie said:

From what I've read there were cash-ins from the EU as well, I don't know much aside from what I read on the issue but well, they never tell the whole story, they are like people in general in the sense that they are like scales, they fall towards what's more convenient and never tell you the whole story... I know he said he didn't want the PM position, did he say it before the actual results came out?

Yeah, during the campaign.

The cash is a subject that I don't know much about, thankfully it wasn't a reason for my vote.

Farage himself would never have the backing of the UK as PM, but the majority backed him through the Leave campaign because we feel as though we can be even more successful without the European Union, not just us, other large European countries can too.  

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

Also, pretty sure we will have a points system like Austrailian for people wanting to migrate here. That's not racist, it's sensible.

Immigration won't end with this, if we're honest and competent we can migrate to whatever country we want. But in my mind the whole issue was brought up mainly because of the Syrian war... So yeah, I'm an immigrant myself and I'm racist :D

www.ishare4free.com

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

Mistake or carefully placed lie to get people on the side of the vote Leave campaign. It's exactly the kind of statement which appeals to the less informed voters.

This is why I hate politicians, they will say anything to get a vote. Is a victory based on a lie still a sweet victory? 

As for him being PM, wouldn't that far right party of his have to become the majority in the house first? It's going to be down to one of the leading Leave Campaign Tories. 

It's not based on a lie IMO, yeah the bus probably swayed a few, but not me. I don't feel as though the bus and saving the 350 million was the main agenda of the leave campaign.

Politicians say stuff that isn't true all the time (everyone knows that), of course the statement isn't true, but I get what the general message is and that's - the UK keeping the money to be spent on our own country, do you not agree with that, or do you want it shipped out to the EU?

The thing I dislike about the whole campaign is the constant use of phrases such as less informed, uneducated, working class, etc, etc to describe the people who voted to leave. It's nonsense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Yeah, during the campaign.

The cash is a subject that I don't know much about, thankfully it wasn't a reason for my vote.

Farage himself would never have the backing of the UK as PM, but the majority backed him through the Leave campaign because we feel as though we can be even more successful without the European Union, not just us, other large European countries can too.  

I disagree with you on that, globalization is happening whether we want it or not, I actually think it's an important issue in the sense that it should bring the people together, not the powers, maybe you'd (not you specifically DC ;) ) feel more compassionate about another human being if the issues we had were common, not foreign. I honestly don't think anything good will come out of this and I honestly hope I'm wrong. From what I can remember reading the Union was created mainly to prevent bigger powers to do whatever the fuck they wanted to do and IMO this is a slight step back :/

Edited by grjkie
  • Like 1

www.ishare4free.com

This is the thing, the smallfolk don't tend to differentiate between legal migration and illegal migration. Those ISIS trained Syrians hanging on to the bottom of trucks from Calais won't stop attempting to come over. (slight exaggeration :D )

The young hot east European Au Pair will have to jump through a lot more hoops to get in even though they could be more highly qualified than many of our homegrown residents. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

The thing I dislike about the whole campaign is the constant use of phrases such as less informed, uneducated, working class, etc, etc to describe the people who voted to leave. It's nonsense.

How would you describe those people who haven't researched the facts and believe everything that is written in the Sun/Daily Mail etc. Like it or not this is the majority of the population.

I'm definitely not describing all leave voters as uneducated, it's the same with the racism issue. Nearly all leave voters aren't racist either. The racism comes into play because those right wing minorities all voted for leave and most of the verbal hatred seen on social media recently has been caused by that issue. This huge argument has actually distracted many from the actual issues at hand and what EU membership is actually about. 

23 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

It's not based on a lie IMO, yeah the bus probably swayed a few, but not me. I don't feel as though the bus and saving the 350 million was the main agenda of the leave campaign.

Politicians say stuff that isn't true all the time (everyone knows that), of course the statement isn't true, but I get what the general message is and that's - the UK keeping the money to be spent on our own country, do you not agree with that, or do you want it shipped out to the EU?

Don't foget the elderly, a lot of hate being thrown their way now. From reading twitter it seems people would prefer to only let university educated middle or upper class people under 50 have a vote.

4 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Don't foget the elderly, a lot of hate being thrown their way now. From reading twitter it seems people would prefer to only let university educated middle or upper class people under 50 have a vote.

I've seen a lot of that, especially comments saying why are the elderly voting on an issue that they won't be alive to see the outcome of. It's very small minded and undemocratic. 

• Like 1

People throwing the names around are just mad that they didn't get their way, I can understand that, but I'm far from uneducated and I don't read newspapers, so do yourself a favour and stop generalizing and placing leave voters in some stereotypical group because you're getting it all wrong.

I know an accountant and a magistrate who both voted out, go tell them that they're uneducated.

People are insane if they think voting remain makes them any better or different, if that was the basis of their vote then they have my pity.

• Like 1