The 2015-2016 Beautiful Game Thread

SeymorScagneti

Here, we can all talk about our clubs, countries, leagues, etc.

Champions League, Euro 2016, Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivisie, Brazilian/Argentinian/Mexican/Russian Premier Leagues, MLS, or any other league, friendly, tournament, qualifier, etc. that you follow.

---

I still consider myself a noob when it comes to soccer or football, but I enjoy watching the game when I can.

I watch mostly Premier League, MLS, Champions League, and sometimes Bundesliga.

I pull for Team USA even though they'll never win anything, LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders, and anyone playing Chelsea because I think Diego Costa is a bit of a dick.

Edited by SeymorScagneti

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fido_le_muet

• PapOiteE

• Banketelli

• DavidCore89

I'm a huge football fan, I watch any live match that I can find regardless of the competition, but I really only follow two teams - Wales and Swansea City.

I also dislike Diego Costa with a passion, but I hope Chelsea win tonight to complete my double-money accumulator :).

• Like 1

Portuguese league anyone??? Probably not :P

We'll have our "Clássico" this weekend - FC Porto vs SL Benfica! Both clubs are not at their best form but it's always good to watch!

Chelsea and Juventus been having problems in their leagues tho!!

And BVB is doing very well!!!

• Like 2

I'm a huge football fan, I watch any live match that I can find regardless of the competition, but I really only follow two teams - Wales and Swansea City.

I also dislike Diego Costa with a passion, but I hope Chelsea win tonight to complete my double-money accumulator :).

I watched one of Swansea's first matches this season...don't remember who they played, but Ayew and Gomis both scored and Swansea won.

Wales is doing well so far for the Euro qualifiers. Aren't they on top or near the top of their group?

We'll have our "Clássico" this weekend - FC Porto vs SL Benfica! Both clubs are not at their best form but it's always good to watch!

Chelsea and Juventus been having problems in their leagues tho!!

And BVB is doing very well!!!

I only see Portuguese teams when they are in Champions League. Was Porto the team Iker Casillas went to? How is he doing over there?

Arsenal just lost in the Champions League... tss...

The thing I've noticed with Arsenal, is that their kit tops seem really small on the players. No other club is like that.

I watched one of Swansea's first matches this season...don't remember who they played, but Ayew and Gomis both scored and Swansea won.

Wales is doing well so far for the Euro qualifiers. Aren't they on top or near the top of their group?

I think that was the 2-1 vs Man Utd  ;).

Yeah, Wales are top of the group with 2 games remaining, it'll be our first major tournament since the 50's, only a draw is needed, but Bale is now injured so it's gonna be tougher.

The thing I've noticed with Arsenal, is that their kit tops seem really small on the players. No other club is like that.

Nike are well known for making kits that are incredibly tight. It's so other players can't pull their shirt as easily.

• Like 1

I only see Portuguese teams when they are in Champions League. Was Porto the team Iker Casillas went to? How is he doing over there?

Yeah he went to FC Porto. He's doing pretty well over here. It's not hard though, there is no competition between our top 3 teams and the rest. Porto are currently leading the league.

@DavidCore89 - Arsenal is no longer with Nike, they are with Puma now. Nike was so much better...

• Like 1

I'm a massive football fan. Go to see my local team play (portsmouth) whenever I can. Harder now with family commitments though.

Playing way down in league 2 at the moment, despite being in the premier league and winning the fa cup in recent years. Poor ownership screwed us up in a big big way.

But we're the biggest club in England that are owned by the fans and things are looking up.

• Like 2

Benfica fan here. Yep we lost against porto yesterday, typical start season match.

Living in uk i follow premiership but no ties only the passion gor the game

• Like 1

There is something that I dont understand in the Premier League. There is Swansea which is from Wales... Why not Celtic? It's a club with history and there is no competition for them in Scotland, they win the championship every year, and sometimes they participate in the champions league..

Edited by PapOiteE
  • Like 1

There is a scottish championship Pap.

With teams like Celtics, Rangers, Kilmarney, Aberdeen...

But why is Wales included in the Premier League I don't know.

Sorry, hadn't read all your phrase there :D

I guess there was an agreement at some point.

Edited by Fido_le_muet
  • Like 1

There is something that I dont understand in the Premier League. There is Swansea which is from Wales... Why not Celtic? It's a club with history and there is no competition for them in Scotland, they win the championship every year, and sometimes they participate in the champions league..

There was talk a few years ago of Celtic and Rangers (before they got demoted for doing something against the rules) joining the premier league. But I don't think it even got as far as serious negotiations. I'm not sure, but I think either the Scottish or English FA (or both) were opposed to it.

I don't know the full history of Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham (I think it's just those 3 Welsh clubs) playing in the Premier League, Championship etc. My guess would be it was because Rugby Union was, and I think still is, the main team sport in Wales so the Association Football teams opted to play in England instead to get better opposition. They may even be (or used to be) the only professional clubs in Wales. Celtic has not always been so dominant in Scotland as they are now. Not just Rangers, before their legal issues, but in the 70s and 80s Aberdeen, the Edinburgh and Dundee clubs were up there with them at least some of the time. I know Aberdeen won a European Trophy when Alex Ferguson was their manager.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 2

Pretty much what djw said.

There was no national league (currently known as the Welsh Premier League) in Wales until 1992, by this time six teams which are Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham, Newport, Merthyr and Colwyn Bay had already joined the English Leagues and declined an offer to join the Welsh Premier League.

Most of the other Welsh teams did move into the Welsh Premier League from the English Leagues at this time including Barry Town and Rhyl.

The Scottish Football League was founded in 1890, so this is why Scottish teams aren't already in the English Leagues (they were already in their own national league). Yeah, there is talk of it happening, but that's been ongoing for a number of years now.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

All the talk of celtic joining the English league is funny. They'd be a yo yo club between prem and championship at best. The main reason they wouldn't come south though is because they win something every year with no competition. They miss out on champions league qualifying round (let's face it they never get any further) amd the Europa league

All the talk of celtic joining the English league is funny. They'd be a yo yo club between prem and championship at best. The main reason they wouldn't come south though is because they win something every year with no competition. They miss out on champions league qualifying round (let's face it they never get any further) amd the Europa league

I agree, their team is filled with Championship level players.

The days when Celtic had some real quality are gone.

I'd still like to see it happen one day, but it's extremely doubtful.

This week has been crazy:

- Lewandowski jumps outta the bench...

scores FIVE goals,in just NINE motherfu!!ing minutes... Bayern 5-1 Wolfsburg.

- Celta de Vigo 4-1 Barcelona.

• Like 1

Chelsea lost again!!! Porto 2-1 Chelsea.

Sometimes I think this awful start of the season was due to that issue Mourinho has with Eva... That could have a negative effect in the team no?

Edited by PapOiteE
  • Like 1

Caught the last 15 min of Bayer 04/FCB and the last 5 min of Arsenal/Olympiakos today....It's crazy how quickly FCB can strike like that when it looks like they're done....Arsenal...how do they lose at home like that?