No More PS3 Updates

revbouncer

According to Newswire there will be no more updates for GATV on PS3. They say the console will break with more updates as it has reached it's capacity.

This is a bit disappointing as GTA really is the only game I play atm and they're essentially forcing me to update. I only replaced my PS2 because it was broken and I was hoping to get full usage from my PS3 as well.

I'm trying to finish story mode 100% as when i tried the 1st time the game was glitched and 1 of my missions locked on me leaving me stranded at 99.2% completion. I'm in the 90% finished range atm so when I've got 100% i feel it will be time to update.

I don't really want to spend $600 Aus just to play a game I'm already playing but as with all good things, they eventually must come to and end.

Thoughts?

Edited by revbouncer
  • Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• revbouncer

• Fido_le_muet

• Sinister

• Jaggy

gta has pushed the ps3 to the limit, my first ps3 burnt out , these things happen games are getting bigger and better and need better consoles to cope this will always happen a new gen comes out and the old one dies off, im not saying everyone will get a ps4 lol the ps3 will still be popular but it will be a 'classic' console soon lol but ps4's cost alot! i was waiting to get mine for ages, but its a shame the ps3 is being left behind

• Like 2

nicolabellamy77.png

Wait for a Christmas PS4 sale. You might get it for less. I might buy a PS4 bundle, too, if there will be a reasonable sale during the holiday season.

The thing is, you're not forced to upgrade, there are still plenty of us on the PS3 and I'm not sure how much of the R* Editor you'd be using or how much you want to take part in those free roam events. There are many more crew created jobs, of course, but R* still hasn't put anything totally game-changing in the game on next gen.

I'm personally waiting for a good bundle+price drop to be honest, so if you don't care about that, go ahead and upgrade, mate.

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 4

Just GTA5 running on a PS3 is a feat in itself, they can't push the system further unfortunately, it's really hard to work with 256mb RAM, this made it the most scarce resource for developers making games for PS3 (RAM limitations)

It's ofcourse unfortunate, but my guess is, the entirety of GTA5 on PS3 was pushing the console to run the game, when you are using all the capabilities of a system, it's hard to add to it.

• Like 1

b2ExQd1.png

Just my 2 cents... PS4 sales are pretty good since launch. And with games announcing that updates are ending for the 3 and other games not releasing at all for the 3, Sony will probably be on a price freeze until after Quarter 1 next year. There may be some small Christmas deals going on, but the MSRP won't drop until after Quarter 1. Just my thoughts on it all. That's why I bought a 4 when I did. 

• Like 4

Dodgeservice.png

I'm in the same boat as you Proto.

I'm waiting for a nice price drop for a PS4/GTA bundle but like Dodge said, I'm not confident it will happen this christmas.

Apparently Sony isn't in a hurry to release a PS4 Slim which often comes with a lower price.

The system sells easily these days so no need for a price drop.

Part of me wants one real bad because I'm sad to not be able to play with my friends anymore. We are less and less on the old faithful and it's not gonna get better.

But at the same time, I really don't want to spend a fortune on a brand new console to play a game I already have (and paid full price). I don't want to buy GTA V again when I have a perfectly fine copy already.

It depends of the mood of the day. Sometimes I'm one click away from ordering a PS4 from Amazon and some other days, I feel like I can wait until GTA 6 to buy a new console.

I'm usually very reasonnable so it's probably gonna be the later. I may not wait until GTA 6 though. Maybe when Gran Turismo 7 comes out.

• Like 2

Chances are, if I walk past one at the shops I'll buy it, so.... I have to stay away from the shops lol.

I'm like you Fido, But with no more updates coming i think time is finally up.

Edited by revbouncer
  • Like 1

Don't worry, I'll still be on PS3, won't get a ps4 because of a few factors.

-ps4 rebel

• Like 1

A quadratic function can be written in vertex form:

f(x) = a( x-h )^2 + k          *^2 means squared*

The vertex form is helpful because it tells you the location of the vertex (h,k); (x,y)

Don't wait for a price drop, guys.  You'll be waiting a really long time even for a $50 drop.  Last year, there was a PS4 GTA V/The Last of Us bundle for $400.  That's what I bought when I upgraded.  I essentially paid for the PS4 only since the going rate for one is $400 here.  It was as if I got two free games with it.  Of course, don't forget to add in the $50 yearly fee for your PS+ account though.  :)

• Like 2

Just do it, Rev.  Just do it! :)

I love it that we still have a dedicated branch of PS3 players, but I'm not surprised that R* is doing this.  As others have said, all of these updates wouldn't be able to fit into such a system--we have to remember the PS3 is pushing ten years old and technology moves at a rapid rate these days.  I remember feeling much the same way when DVDs essentially replaced VHS tapes.  I had an enormous collection of VHS tapes that I had acquired throughout the years, and it was only a matter of time before my favorite films ceased to be released on VHS.  Therefore, an "upgrade" was inevitable.  Same thing happens with games and game systems--I held on to many different ones for years and still enjoyed them, but the day eventually came when I had to purchase the newer model.

Ultimately, it's your decision if you want to get one or wait for a bundle/price drop, but I too was hesitant about upgrading when the split was in progress.  I'd still do it again though and even pay full price.  It may be the same game and the same old features with better graphics, but I can tell you want it, so with that said, I think you should get it. :D

• Like 2

Once Uncharted 4 was announced, I said heck with it and traded my PS3 and everything else for my PS4. Ended up getting the console, 2 games and a spare controller for less than the cost of the system itself.

There are very few games that I really play and GTA and Uncharted are my can't miss series.

I remember buying a Dreamcast just because it was the only way to play the newest Resident Evil.

• Like 2

@Fido (and anyone else). Get a PS4 if u can financilly. Even if you don't buy GTA do you plan to buy any new release PS3 games? Is Star Wars going to release on PS3....if so seems foolish to me to buy it knowing in the end you will be on PS4

• Like 5

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Sucks no more ps3 updates... I see no reason why they can't do updates to fix shit that's broken & such.

As far as upgrading consoles goes for me.... I echo protocawl's sentiments. I'm going to (try lol) to wait till around christmas to get one myself. Star Wars Battlefront launches I believe 11/15 here in the USA & they're releasing a limited edition ps4 with it.

I already have a list of games I intend on getting & GTA 5, Destiny & Alien Isolation are the main ones that come to mind.

I had to wait like a year after release before I had a console I could play gta 5 on, so I can wait another 2-3 months to get a new console.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with my old PS3 dinosaur. I'm still up in the air on what I will do when my console either dies or finally is not supported anymore. I may end up getting a PS4 someday, or I may get the xbone as it has a lot of nice features (minus everyone here) or not get a new console at all. It really is too bad if the PS3 does not get any more updates. I'll still play on it until the bitter end but also really looked forward to new stuff being added.

• Like 1

kQ4fIRp.png

You guys are making good points.

Hatch especially. You're right, there are no more games I want on PS3.

I'm gonna finish Assassin's Creed Rogue, that should take me a while and bring me closer to Xmas.

Jag is right too. Near christmas, bundles should be more interesting. There may not be price drops but I'm sure there'll be interesting packs. Maybe 2 games, maybe a 2nd controller, maybe a free year of PS+ ?

I really want to pay 350 € ($395) max though.

• Like 3

I'm pissed at the prices here in France.

If it's $400 in the US, it's gonna be 400€ here.

Normal currency change rate would pût it at 350€.

These jackasses seem to think that 1$ = 1€...

My view was pretty simple when I decided to make the switch.

I knew that PS4 was going to be here for several years, so why wait.  If you can afford it, I'd say go for it now rather than later.

The longer you wait, the less time you'll have to play on it before PS5 is out,  and we'll be having the same discussion again in 5-6 years.  :D

Of course it's a different story if your budget doesn't allow for it though.  

If that's the case, then waiting for a price drop or until you've saved enough will be the only option.

That's where things get complicated if some players are left behind.

I really hope more PS3 players will make the switch soon though.  It will be awesome when some of the original crew members get to play together again.

The playlists on PS4 will be full more often than not, and the jobs and the console allow for up to 30 payers, so just imagine how cool that'll be.  :)

• Like 5