RPG Peek-A-Boo

no_snacks

RPG Peek-A-Boo

Created for Hatch's Monsters & Missiles event.

RSC Link.  http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/EYo8_aCtHkSLShVh3jBtIQ

wZAw23h.png

RPG starting weapon with plenty more RPG pick-ups to go around.

You are relatively safe directly behind the metal cabins, but if you stray too close to the gaps or near the back wall, you probably wont last very long.

The catch is, you can only fire your RPG from the gaps, so it's a trade off between attack and defence.

The infield is wide open and contains no cover or RPG pick-ups, but you are more than welcome to go for a Rambo run if you dare.

Rounds are set to 5 minutes maximum.  

They normally only last a minute or two each, so the target score has been set to three rounds.

Morning with clear weather works best for visibility.  

Other times of day make it too hard to see the gaps in the oppositions defences.

Thanks to all the people who helped test the physics and playability of this job.  :)

It would've just been guess work otherwise.

Oh, I nearly forgot.  It's locked to 1st person view.   Have a blast.  :D

• Like 4

This one is great fun and I actually wanted to play it last night with some randoms, but then realized it hadn't been published yet.  I enjoyed getting to test this in its initial stages, and the final, completed project certainly does not disappoint in any way.  Three rounds certainly go by fast, and I'd love to play this much like we've played R v I as it has massive replay value and never a dull moment.

I will admit though--I actually liked it better in third person, but that's just a personal preference as I'm generally shit when it comes to FPV. :)

Excellent work, Snacks--you have created something quite unique and highly entertaining.  The attention to detail is remarkable as well.

• Like 1

Simple and fun LTS.

I think the first person works well with this. Even if you don't like the first person on this game, it is easy enough to control with no disadvantage if you're not used to FP.

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

I love this job.  It's so simple, yet fun.  While testing this in third person, I was able to survive much longer.  In first person, I forgot how to aim an RPG properly and killed myself right away.  :lol:

This is a job that I could play in any camera view.  First person would get easier once I play it a bit more often.

• Like 1

Cool job!

I wasn't deliberately ignoring you the other night, I had DJ headphones on so I couldn't reply.

It worked as you say in the OP - Get too close to the edge of the cabins at your own risk, I found this out the hard way.

• Like 1

I played this twice with omarcomin71 last night.  We played with a few randoms both time and really enjoyed it.  It didn't hurt that we won :)

This would be really fun in a playlist with 12 people or more.

• Like 1

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

really like this map also, we played it on Tuesdays vetting PL ( I think it was then:) great fun, I would leave it at 1st person lock as well, adds an extra dimension and also makes the not soo big map (that's a good thing, tight fast action) feel bigger than it is.

• Like 1

Wow.  I'm really shocked at the response, guys.

I was expecting to get a few replies, but didn't think they'd be positive ones.  :lol:

The original concept for this map was intended for use with Sniper Rifles.

I though it might work with RPG's but wasn't really sure, so I'm very relieved that it seems to play out ok.

The map is very simple at first glance, but there was quite a bit of tweaking & fine tuning to get it to work properly.

Initially there was only one layer of metal cabins for cover, but after some early testing, we found that players could still be killed while in cover if an RPG hit the front of the cabin.

The back wall took some adjusting too.  Too far back, and it doesn't come into play.  Too far forward, and the blast radius would kill everyone nearby.

We even tried backlighting the cabins at night.  Even though it looked pretty cool, it just caused too much glare and made it harder to see to the other side.  

It's good to see people trying different strategies too.  Sometimes the advancing players get the win, sometimes they don't.  We've had a few good rounds play out so far.

Of course it still sucks if you get taken out by an RPG in the first few seconds of a round, but I can't think of any way to overcome that.  They're RPG's after all.  :lol:

The reason for locking the view to 1st person is so you can't just move your camera around to see over the top of the cabins.  It sort of forces you to take a risk/gamble everytime you take a peek through the gaps in your cover.  It's also pretty cool to see a rocket whizz by your head in 1st person.  :D

A host is more than welcome to change it to 3rd person if they wish though.  It could give a different feel to the job and may even see some different tactics used.

Thanks for the positive responses, everyone.  Glad you all enjoyed it.  :)

Edited by no_snacks
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Any chance you can do something to this job?

The name Peek-A-Boo doesn't really reflect on the way it's played these days as everyone runs out in the open and to the sides of the map, obviously to make it harder to kill them.

IMO players shouldn't be able to leave the area with the cabins.

Hope it can be changed as I'm sure the gameplay would be better.

This and Glory Holes are my favourite crew LTS's, but I wish it was more Peek-A-Boo and less RnG.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, DavidCore89 said:

Any chance you can do something to this job?

The name Peek-A-Boo doesn't really reflect on the way it's played these days as everyone runs out in the open and to the sides of the map, obviously to make it harder to kill them.

IMO players shouldn't be able to leave the area with the cabins.

Hope it can be changed as I'm sure the gameplay would be better.

This and Glory Holes are my favourite crew LTS's, but I wish it was more Peek-A-Boo and less RnG.

Cheers, DC.

Yeah, ever since we've been able to pick up 20 RPGs the matches have played out differently than intended.  Before that we could only pick up 5 RPGs. (or a maximum of 8 if you had 3 and picked up another 5)

People were encouraged to run into the centre if they dared, and because they only had a limited amount of rockets they were often at a disadvantage once they were out of ammo. (which was often the case). The ensuing fist-fights with rockets whizzing past your head were always good for a laugh too. :lol:

I can't use a barrier as that would block the RPGs from being fired, so elevating both starting areas is probably the only obvious way to go, but maybe moving to a new location with natural barriers might work too.  I'll have a look around the map and see what I can do because I don't really like the way it's playing out now either.  

• Like 2

Looking the other way instead, What would be cool is an R&G style RPG LTS raised up on with like walkways like some of the new adversary mode style platforms? That way we can have both and improve both elements that folks like

• Like 2

That's definitely another possibility, Ally.  I was thinking of an area where players can move about a little bit, but with some low cover/obstacles that the opponents can aim at.  Stand too close to those obstacles and the slash damage will kill you, just like it does with the cabins in the current version.

Will certainly have to play around with things a bit without changing too much from the original.  Things might turn out ok, but it could end up being a dog's breakfast too. :lol: