The Battle of Paleto Bay

djw180

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/domestic_battery/games/gtav/jobs/job/hUSd0o8HQEuI6hHts5dEow

yrOKP70.png

*** updated May 2016 and now PS4 only ***

My first attempt at a TDM. The idea is to use vehicles that came with the Heists updates as weapons. There's a couple of sniper rifles, rocket launchers and some compact rifles as pickups. Technically not a vehicle death match, but that is how it's supposed to work. Use the vehicles at your start point, and any others you can find in the town, as your main weapons.

Forced and pickups or just forced (combat pistol). Definitely not owned and pickups.

Has to be teams, 8 to 30 players.

Edited by djw180

This one would actually work even better with a 30player lobby, since even if it's a full lobby, it basically means just 4v4 deathmatch (pairs in vehicles).

Map is plenty big enough, perhaps even too big for 16 players.

I like the fact that once you die and respawn, you need to have a teammate pick you up, it definitely encourages teamwork.

I've noticed some Insurgents driving around. Have you thought about replacing them with Insurgent Pick-ups? (those with the gun)

Once the other team picked up some snipers and got in their positions, it was pretty dangerous running around with a nightstick. :lol:

Not sure how close to spawn points those sniper pickups are, but I'd place them away, so you have to get to them (climb).

Otherwise it was a fun and fresh job.

Once we play it couple more times and you make some small adjustments, it should be even better.

That's all I can think of atm, I'm sure others will have some more feedback.

• Like 1

Thanks Zmurko,

Yes Some of the respawns are close to the sniper rilfes, so moving them would good. As would making all the insurgents pick-ups. I can't even remember why I made some standard ones anyway.

Agree with Z. The current size would be perfect for the larger lobbies on the new console, but could probably do with a bit of downsizing on PS3. 

Overall, I had fun with this one yesterday. But it was kinda frustrating to spawn only with a nightstick, no teammates or weapon pick-ups around and then be confronted by an enemy Insurgent Pick-up = death. 

I know it's supposed to be a vehicle TDM with teamwork in focus and can therefore understand the choice of making the forced weapon a melee weapon to keep it from turning into a regular TDM.

I would still change it though, maybe to the Micro SMG. So you atleast have a small fighting chance in situations like the one I described.

Either that or spread the Micro SMG pick-ups out some more. Right now, they are all placed on the same street, so you have to be lucky with the spawn points. 

As for the sniper. I would reduce or remove all pick-ups completely. In a battle between gun-mounted vehicles, the outcome shouldn't really be decided by a sniper and that was what happened yesterday. 

That's just what I would do. Hope you can use some of it. Like I said, I enjoyed this one. There were some really cool moments like when we came up against an enemy Insurgent Pick-up in the Technical and was victorious! Then stole the Insurgent and continued the killing. :D

With a few tweaks here and there, it can turn out really good. Good job on your first deathmatch!

Edited by Banketelli

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll be making changes soon.

What do you think about the Valkaries on the beach? They didn't seem to get used much, or got shot down fairly quickly when they did. I may put one at each start point to get them involved from the start.

Our team used one at the beggining, I think this is how we got the 8:0 lead too, but we had to land it pretty soon, as it was about to blow up.

The thing with vehicles in TDMs is that you don't know they're there unless you look at the map on RSC or know where they are (I dont think they show up on the minimap), so maybe one near the start area would be good, yeah.

Wish they could just let us create vehicle deathmatches, with all these new heist vehicles added, there's a lot of potential for some really good ones too.

I've updated this now.

Only 2 sniper positions left in near the ends of the main street. Forced weapon is micro SMG. All insurgents are pickups. 2 more Valkyries added near to each team start point.

Edited by djw180

• 3 weeks later...

I've played it 2 times now I think, once when it was without Valkyries and with nightsticks, and once just recently with the SMGs and Valks at the beginning. Got to say, starting with the Valkyries and moving onto the Insurgents makes this feel like a real military mission - love the idea and it's certainly a lot better with all the improvements now. I managed to experience awesome versus moments that I've never experienced in any other creation in the game so far, mainly thanks to the great setting of Paleto Bay, the provided vehicles and the great players we have here in DB. :) The micro SMG also allowed me to face an enemy Insurgent with a driver and gunner once and beat them :D Would've been annihilated with only a nightstick, but managed to act fast and kill 'em with the micro. The snipers are also an OK addition, no need to remove those completely, they can make it feel yet more like a real battlefield situation. Saved a teammate from death by sniping an enemy insurgent gunner at the last second, felt awesome tbh. Picking teammates up also works nicely.

The area WAS a bit too large, but then again, it seems to work better now with everyone being more mobile anyway. Still better with as many players as possible, of course.

All in all... a damn great job, especially as it is your first TDM! Well done! ;)

Edited by Protocawl

• 11 months later...

@DavidCore89 Thanks for feedback. I'm copying it in here so I don't forget when I do get round to making the PS4 version.

"I recall you mentioning that you wanted some advice on a PS4 remake.

Firstly I'd change the starting weapon, SMG doesn't have enough to trouble the mounted guns, any rifle will work better.

I'd probably add some RPG's and grenade launchers in case a team completely destroys the enemy and causes the match to be vehicles vs ground troops (Paleto Bay has some cool little spots to hide those kinda weapons such as out-buildings and rooftops). Add some other weapon pickups, molotov's won't ever be used, I'd get rid of them and replace them for rifles, MG's, proxies and anything else that might be useful.

More spawn points, the map doesn't seem to have as many as it should for it's size.

A team has their vehicles much closer to the spawn points than the other team, I'd move the vehicles and start points of the other team a bit closer to the battle area to balance things.

15 players on each team, 4 players in the chopper and also give them 6 mounted vehicles at the team start point, I'd move the remaining vehicles into the battle area so they can be used, most respawns will take pace near your team during any TDM, but your team won't be on the outskirts of the map."

I don't think this will have been played with as many players as we had last night, 14 I think. So I suspect when done before we never noticed any problem with not enough spawn points. Having not made a DM before I probably just placed the bare minimum then added a couple more. So  I will need to remember to add a lot more when making this 30 player.

Originally the starting weapon was night stick, the intention being you only used vehicles or picked up the snipers. That got changed to micro-SMG. Last night I also thought a rifle would have been better.

I deliberately avoided heavy weapons to make it about the vehicles but I can see that having a couple placed out of the way could be useful.

The molotovs will definitely go. I think I had the idea that you could use them to take out the insurgents, but I have never seen anyone even try to do that.

Start points and vehicles will be sorted out.

Edited by djw180

• 3 weeks later...

Updated. PS4 only now. 8 to 30 players.

Evened up the start points, more respawns, more vehicles in Paleto Bay.

I wanted to keep this so that the vehicles are your main weapons so there's not that many other weapons to use. Forced weapon changed to combat pistol but added a few compact rifles to pick up and deleted all the molotovs. The snipers are still there as are 2 rocket launchers.

• Like 1