Speed Tests (primarily ping)

DavidCore89

Mostly the technology used, ADSL = Asymetric Digital Subscriber Line. It's just technically not possible.

Fiber connection will usually have same download/upload speed, unless there's commercial/marketing reasons behind it.

Most users will go for massive download speeds (marketing reason). Limiting upload speeds sometimes also "prevents" users from setting up home servers and forces them into using dedicated (payed) services for this (commercial reason).

Edited by zmurko

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• Squirrel

• ScottyB

• zmurko

So basically its the country & ISP who decide how much information can go each way. I'd quite happily sacrifice a large percentage of my download for improved upload but that decision needs to be made at a top level and unfortunately I don't see it changing.

The Americans seem to have a very varied split, from 50/50 for some states to 10/1 in others and everywhere in between.

I used the Ookla app on my phone to check my internet (haven't got a computer at the moment). I actually tested all throughout last night and my results changed everytime.

The ping averages at about 27 while the download speed and upload speed changes all the time. I've got no idea what any of it means

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold B to the Rian, all that matters is you beat the leprechauns"   - Stewie Griffin

Every UK ISP will limit the upload to stop a total overload.

With Virgin Media's DOCSIS 3.1 cable network you would easily reach the same up as down, but they'll probably never allow it.

152 down and 12 up is max with Virgin, although the new upgrade to DOCSIS3 will certainly boost both speeds (most of the UK already have the upgrade).

They're actually testing a 10Gbps connection in private http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/07/virgin-media-uk-lab-testing-10gbps-docsis-3-1-broadband-upgrade.html

7 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Every UK ISP will limit the upload to stop a total overload.

With Virgin Media's DOCSIS 3.1 cable network you would easily reach the same up as down, but they'll probably never allow it.

152 down and 12 up is max with Virgin, although the new upgrade to DOCSIS3 will certainly boost both speeds (most of the UK already have the upgrade).

They're actually testing a 10Gbps connection in private http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/07/virgin-media-uk-lab-testing-10gbps-docsis-3-1-broadband-upgrade.html

I'm already getting in excess of 200mb down with Virgin. Highest I've seen is 210mb. Not much more than 12 on upload though

2 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

I'm already getting in excess of 200mb down with Virgin. Highest I've seen is 210mb. Not much more than 12 on upload though

Yeah most of the UK already have 200MB with Virgin, it's not exactly cheap either, so they'll make a small fortune.

Pretty sure only Wales is remaining.

You'll always get just under or over the download speed that you bought, but not the upload, I doubt it'll go past 14MB.

I've even offered to pay more and they still refuse to increase the upload.

Edited by DavidCore89

Here in France, I think the maximum DL is 100Mb with optic fiber.

That's what I have but it is limited to 30Mb in my area or building.

I'm looking for a new house to buy and I'm a bit scared at the idea of going back to ADSL. :( I'm gonna try like hell to add that to the requirements of the new place but the girlfriend doesn't give a shit about the internet speed :lol:

Gonna have to explain to her that it's necessary if she wants me to keep downloading all the TV shows that she loves :P

• Like 1

140354749.png

The packet loss part of the ping test doesn't work on Chrome.

Also it tested to Coventry as there aren't many other options for the UK, but Coventry is technically in another country :D

3 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

140354749.png

The packet loss part of the ping test doesn't work on Chrome.

Also it tested to Coventry as there aren't many other options for the UK, but Coventry is technically in another country :D

Crazy good jitter!

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 1 month later...

Dunno why I am having issues staying connected all of a sudden, I think my connection is pretty decent, better than it use to be

5217745258.png

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

5254500758.png

@DavidCore89, can I move in with you to get some of that super net? 

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

• 5 months later...