• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• Squirrel

• ScottyB

• zmurko

I have yet to try it, but it sounds interesting.

Don't expect a miracle or anything game changing though. Everything is just a bit more direct.

At first, I started noticing it mainly while driving. Those situations where you start oversteering in a corner, it felt like it was just that tiny bit easier to correct. Same with driving in between cars and with those last second swerves in between traffic. In DM's the locking on and aiming for the head is again just that little bit faster and more direct. Did about 10-15 DM's this PM, just to make sure I wasn't imagining things  ;)

Again, it's not a massive difference. It's just a little touchier, crispier, ...

Also, in my case, the image quality changed significantly. I'm used to a softer image/screen with warm and diluted (?) colors, because I watch tons and tons of movies. The contrast in game setting is much higher (orange is way too orange, same with purple tones), the edges are way sharper and there is more anti-aliasing (or was it less? u know, the flickering edges thing ... ). Took a while to get used to.

Unfortunately, it does not rule out lag as I have noticed on a few occasions today during some random (T)DM's. Shooting dudes in the head and getting killed by them a second or two later ... que?

Edited by ronin

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

Don't expect a miracle or anything game changing though. Everything is just a bit more direct.

At first, I started noticing it mainly while driving. Those situations where you start oversteering in a corner, it felt like it was just that tiny bit easier to correct. Same with driving in between cars and with those last second swerves in between traffic. In DM's the locking on and aiming for the head is again just that little bit faster and more direct. Did about 10-15 DM's this PM, just to make sure I wasn't imagining things  ;)

Again, it's not a massive difference. It's just a little touchier, crispier, ...

Also, in my case, the image quality changed significantly. I'm used to a softer image/screen with warm and diluted (?) colors, because I watch tons and tons of movies. The contrast in game setting is much higher (orange is way too orange, same with purple tones), the edges are way sharper and there is more anti-aliasing (or was it less? u know, the flickering edges thing ... ). Took a while to get used to.

Unfortunately, it does not rule out lag as I have noticed on a few occasions today during some random (T)DM's. Shooting dudes in the head and getting killed by them a second or two later ... que?

Yeah it stops the lag between your controller and tv. I have an LG that's only a year or 2 old and I recon it's close to half a second lag at times which is quite significant when you need to dodge a car :P

If you add that to the lag experienced online occasional it makes everything pretty bad. Unfortunately it comes at the cost of picture quality. Depending on the tv, you should have some adjustment to the colour but it won't be as good. I'm accustomed to it now and actually get annoyed by any other colour, but I'm also not that into fiddling around with picture settings either so yeah.

scottyb1988.jpg

What I've learned from this topic is that internet in the UK sucks. Jal lives out in the middle of nowhere and gets 10 times the speed I do and I'm in the centre of a large city. 

• Like 1

What I've learned from this topic is that internet in the UK sucks. Jal lives out in the middle of nowhere and gets 10 times the speed I do and I'm in the centre of a large city. 

That may be right, but 95% of the UK is covered by high speed fibre which is a lot faster than ADSL, even at slow speeds, peak time or with your ISP applying traffic management.

You can have a high speeds, but the difference between ADSL and fibre is vast.

It's possible to run a low speed fibre connection with no issues at all, try that with a low speed ADSL connection and you'll run into a few issues especially with downloading/uploading large files above 4GB and streaming HD TV.

Edited by DavidCore89

• 2 weeks later...

4138754264.png

Best Ping I get is around 70 ms and the DL,UP speed changes to 1.5 and 1.9 during the day.Only from 1 AM to 9 AM do I get such good speed.Did another test on a server in Dhaka(330 km from here) and got the same Ping,donno how : GRIMACE :

I find it very difficult to kill the good DM players in the crew coz I'm behind and when I shoot it doesn't register.If they roll and I decide to do the same I'm most likely to die midroll coz by the time they're up it won't show on my screen and I'll be reacting late  :(

Playing with randoms from the quick job option is smoother and gives me more time to react even if they're skilled.

4138754264.png

Best Ping I get is around 70 ms and the DL,UP speed changes to 1.5 and 1.9 during the day.Only from 1 AM to 9 AM do I get such good speed.Did another test on a server in Dhaka(330 km from here) and got the same Ping,donno how : GRIMACE :

I find it very difficult to kill the good DM players in the crew coz I'm behind and when I shoot it doesn't register.If they roll and I decide to do the same I'm most likely to die midroll coz by the time they're up it won't show on my screen and I'll be reacting late  :(

Playing with randoms from the quick job option is smoother and gives me more time to react even if they're skilled.

Wow. I wonder how many times you'll kill me if your speeds were good...

I hate the midroll kill, G gets me with that so often.

The delay is clear with some people, Snake for example, the kill doesn't register for around 2 seconds after killing him, I expect it's the same when he kills me.

The delay with you isn't as bad, but I do sometimes kill you when I can see that you've safely got behind cover. 

• Like 1

It's no secret all my gaming is done by using my phone as a hot spot.

Here is with getting 3 bars of 4G

4138803937.png

Mine varies wildly depending on the weather, temperature, and possibly if the dog farts wrong

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

lol, thats how i get shot after taking cover sometimes and yell at my tv too. i tried to pick a server closer to me but it keep saying i'm in wichita? i pick a dif server and the test goes from the new server to wichita :s

Does anyone know where the R* servers are located?I know EA has its severs in Asia and a lot of different parts of the world.Is it the same with R* or they only there in the US?

Does anyone know where the R* servers are located?I know EA has its severs in Asia and a lot of different parts of the world.Is it the same with R* or they only there in the US?

I would assume New York.

Not sure though, cloud servers may not have a physical location.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

So, Australia has finally managed to get Netflix, yay... Firstly, we have only about 1500 titles available compared to Americas 8500 or so, so it's still pretty shit.

To top it off, it's extremely cheap, so every man and his dog has now decided to get it which is sucking up all the bandwidth. We only have cable and adsl 2 + and in some locations we have, and are starting to roll out the NBN but only fibre to the node and then the stupid copper wires from the exchange to your house, so it's a half assed job in the first place and won't really fix it.

So back on point, since netflix arrived around 2 weeks ago, the Internet speeds have dropped significantly. These were my original speeds from about 4 months ago on speedofme;

D, 21.45mbps

U, 0.95mbps

Latency, 24ms

Now they are;

D, 4 Mbps

U, 0.90 Mbps

Latency, 200ms

This test was done at a peak time so I will be doing a few more to see how consistent it is. No wonder I have been experiencing so much lag lately. It's just so frustrating that it has made it so bad all the time now. I use a VPN on my computer and I can't use it anymore because it virtually won't load a page ( usually around 1 or 2mbps), and forget watching YouTube videos with any kind of clarity on them..

I just really hope this obsession with Netflix blows over soon so that I can have my internet speeds back.. I will also be looking into complaining about the speeds but I don't think they will do anything and even if I change provider, they won't garuantee any speeds and what I am experiencing is "acceptable".

scottyb1988.jpg

Wow, that drop is huge.

Isn't there a set package or speed that was sold to you?

If so, they are under contract to provide at least that.

It may be different in Australia, but that's how it works over here, it's closely regulated as well.

If your ISP can't guarantee anything and no set package or speed was agreed in the contract, then you're basically at their mercy.

Edited by DavidCore89

Dang Scotty!

Here's my new ISP results. I'm pretty happy with this WISP.

4324930631.png

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Wow, that drop is huge.

Isn't there a set package or speed that was sold to you?

If so, they are under contract to provide at least that.

It may be different in Australia, but that's how it works over here, it's closely regulated as well.

If your ISP can't guarantee anything and no set package or speed was agreed in the contract, then you're basically at their mercy.

I'll have to look into it a bit more but from a few things I've read apparently adsl 2 + speeds above 1.1mbps are acceptable. There are lots of factors that change the speed and as far as I know they won't garuantee anything. I'm on a month to month plan so I can leave whenever I want with out any fees but I'll have to look in to it more as it's ridiculous.

I'm with one of the cheapest ISPs (dodo) here but they are using Telstra lines which are one of the best companies but also cost well over double the amount if I were to switch to them, which may or may not solve the problem. I would imagine that Telstra would be restricting their resellers speeds at least a bit but unfortunately I can't afford and don't think it is worth paying over double the amount for less data.

ill be doing a few more tests at different times and report it back here and then depending what happens I'll look further into and complain to the ISP and see what happens.

scottyb1988.jpg

Dang Scotty!

Here's my new ISP results. I'm pretty happy with this WISP.

4324930631.png

For some reason we have really bad upload speeds, takes almost a few hours to upload a 15 min clip! At around 10mbps download that seems to run most things fine so I would be happy if I could get up to there at least. I'm not sure why the latency is so bad though, but it's definitely not good for gaming.

scottyb1988.jpg

I updated my package yesterday for just £1 extra.

Was getting 60 down and 3 up and that's always been good for me - I should now be getting 100 down and 6 up.

Just tested and I'm still getting my older speeds, although they did say it can take 48 hours to change.

for the money i'm paying for the bundle (which include unlimited calls back home eerr Africa) and that company goes by the name talktalk, it, surprise me : SURPRISE :

looking to go back to fibre with virgin or bt when they finishing roling in my area.

4324998451.png