RDR online updates 14th may

djw180

44 minutes ago, DeaD_GooN said:

I'm very confused by what Rockstar is doing with this game. I haven't played in months, and just recently started playing again (5 or 10 minutes at a time due to very consistent disconnects). The offensive/defensive thing doesn't make sense. In defensive mode I still get killed instantly, and when I respawn I have a bounty? I guess I figured it would be like Fallout 76, where you're nearly impossible to kill unless you fight back.

I'm beginning to think this game is just not for me. 

Nearly impossible to kill is what it seems like to me.  You sure you were defensive? It takes 30 seconds after you make the change. 

For me my biggest gripe right now is I can’t join showdown modes. 80% of the time it just goes to black screen and I get stuck. So my only combat option is free mode where my honor lowers and I get hostility/bounties. How can joining a job be so difficult!?

Edited by pete2581

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zztop911

• djw180

• pete_95973

• Banketelli

3 hours ago, DeaD_GooN said:

I'm very confused by what Rockstar is doing with this game. I haven't played in months, and just recently started playing again (5 or 10 minutes at a time due to very consistent disconnects). The offensive/defensive thing doesn't make sense. In defensive mode I still get killed instantly, and when I respawn I have a bounty? I guess I figured it would be like Fallout 76, where you're nearly impossible to kill unless you fight back.

I'm beginning to think this game is just not for me. 

That sounds like there was just a glitch in the game at that point. It wouldn't surprise me. I have occasionally had law men come after me for no apparent reason when and sometimes been killed and respawn with a wanted level. 

As I understand it, in defensive mode you can still be attacked and killed; it's not like passive in GTA. But it is meant to reduce the ways in which greifers could abuse you, like you can't be hogtied. And you should not get a bounty or decreased honour if you retaliate against someone who attacked you first.

3 hours ago, pete_95973 said:

Nearly impossible to kill is what it seems like to me.  You sure you were defensive? It takes 30 seconds after you make the change. 

For me my biggest gripe right now is I can’t join showdown modes. 80% of the time it just goes to black screen and I get stuck. So my only combat option is free mode where my honor lowers and I get hostility/bounties. How can joining a job be so difficult!?

I'm still having the same problems quick-joining jobs but it is still working from the start-up screen.

6 hours ago, pete_95973 said:

Definitely in defensive mode. Had the solid shield icon in the bottom left corner, not blinking. I can't be lassoed, hogtied, or tackled. But they pull out their guns and shoot me 2 or 3 times and I'm dead. And half the time I respawn with a bounty without even attempting to fight back. It's usually only like 50¢, but still, why? 

1 hour ago, DeaD_GooN said:

Definitely in defensive mode. Had the solid shield icon in the bottom left corner, not blinking. I can't be lassoed, hogtied, or tackled. But they pull out their guns and shoot me 2 or 3 times and I'm dead. And half the time I respawn with a bounty without even attempting to fight back. It's usually only like 50¢, but still, why? 

I don't understand why they just cant make some annoying shit to happen to people that kill players in Defensive mode and have not displayed any aggression...like if you kill a player in Defensive mode, why couldnt they like make the attacker unable to access their horse or disable running....you know something really annoying. I have been lucky while in Defensive mode...ive only been attacked once....i still generally keep away from dots even when im defensive.

• Like 1

So the defensive mode, is like a menu option version of a free ability card, that incurs a bounty around 50% of the time, if you think about it.

Edited by Smurf

Out of interest, who's playing RDRO lately and up for a posse? 

Feel free to join on me if you see me, I'm mostly doing daily challenges but don't mind staying over to do some free roam activities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlCohonez said:

Feel free to join on me if you see me, I'm mostly doing daily challenges but don't mind staying over to do some free roam activities.

I am not playing a ton, but trying for a 7 day streak of dailies right now so same goes for me if you see me on.

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

1 hour ago, AlCohonez said:

I'm playing quite a bit these days and always ready to team up.

Well after today's update the showdown series seem to be loading normally for me again.

I played the free roam fishing challenge--that was fun.  I also had another free roam NPC encounter that was cool.  Overall the game is much improved.

However, my favorite thing in these kind of games (like GTA) is combat and I really think the combat in RDRO is horrible.  And I think the only major thing they need to do to fix it for me is get rid of the ability cards.  It is just so dumb to me.  In GTA as you ranked up your character got stronger and could take more damage.  That seems reasonable.  But a gun fight being won simply by who has the better ability card loadout or the most deadeye remaining was a poor decision IMO.  Nothing looks dumber than two people standing three feet apart shooting each other in the head repeatedly and not dying.  And I say all this as someone who has more success than failure.  It is not sour grapes from losing.  I am not REAL good but am better than average in the combat modes.  But what it takes to be good is stupid and not fun.

Overall I still like a lot about this game but it just won't keep me interested the way GTA has unless some big changes happen.

Edited by pete2581
  • Like 2

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

3 minutes ago, pete_95973 said:

Well after today's update the showdown series seem to be loading normally for me again.

I played the free roam fishing challenge--that was fun.  I also had another free roam NPC encounter that was cool.  Overall the game is much improved.

However, my favorite thing in these kind of games (like GTA) is combat and I really think the combat in RDRO is horrible.  And I think the only major thing they need to do to fix it for me is get rid of the ability cards.  It is just so dumb to me.  In GTA as you ranked up your character got stronger and could take more damage.  That seems reasonable.  But a gun fight being won simply by who has the better ability card loadout or the most deadeye remaining was a poor decision IMO.  Nothing looks dumber than two people standing three feet apart shooting each other in the head repeatedly and not dying.  And I say all this as someone who has more success than failure.  It is not sour grapes from losing.  I am not REAL good but am better than average in the combat modes.  But what it takes to be good is stupid and not fun.

Overall I still like a lot about this game but it just won't keep me interested the way GTA has unless some big changes happen.

like you, i have a tough time getting excited for combat in RDR2 and yes the ability cards is probably the reason why as I feel they are too expensive, unless they dropped in price. I wish I was in that development room when ability cards were brought up and I could have said to them...."RDR2 combat...keep it simple, stupid." 

That is why I'm guessing what will keep me playing this game will have to be the new lifestyles we are getting, or the role-playing, I enjoy exploring this world more than fighting in it and thats not a bad thing even if by now i thought we would be having Clash of the Posses. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 11:52 PM, pete_95973 said:

On 5/29/2019 at 12:09 AM, Con said:

like you, i have a tough time getting excited for combat in RDR2 and yes the ability cards is probably the reason why as I feel they are too expensive, unless they dropped in price. I wish I was in that development room when ability cards were brought up and I could have said to them...."RDR2 combat...keep it simple, stupid." 

That is why I'm guessing what will keep me playing this game will have to be the new lifestyles we are getting, or the role-playing, I enjoy exploring this world more than fighting in it and thats not a bad thing even if by now i thought we would be having Clash of the Posses. 

The biggest problem I have is with the Dead Eye cards. Most of the passive ones are fine, some could maybe be nerfed a bit and Never Without One could go. But overall, I think it's fine that you can chose to get an extra damage output, focus on health, taking less damage while in cover, etc. Chose the ones that suit your play style. But the Dead Eye cards like Paint it Black, Slow and Steady and Slipper Bastard do nothing but ruin the game play and they can definitely fuck off. 

Something that to me is almost as big an issue as the Dead Eye cards is the explosive ammo. Thankfully,  I rarely encounter it as people don't want to waste that ammo in showdowns and most of the aggressive players in free roam are lower level. But when I finally do it's a fucking pain in the ass. If the shot doesn't outright kill you, it will force you to the ground. Nothing you can do. A simple body shot. All skill is taken out. And as most high level players need to ride in groups, it's always at least two players so they have twice the shit ammo making it insanely unbalanced. Only comfort is that there's a reason why they have to resort to that. 

Just had to rant about that. Hopefully, we'll see the playlist function added so we can control the lobby and add rules about ability cards and ammo. Maybe we can even some crews we can trust to follow simple rules.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Banketelli said:

The biggest problem I have is with the Dead Eye cards. Most of the passive ones are fine, some could maybe be nerfed a bit and Never Without One could go. But overall, I think it's fine that you can chose to get an extra damage output, focus on health, taking less damage while in cover, etc. Chose the ones that suit your play style. But the Dead Eye cards like Paint it Black, Slow and Steady and Slipper Bastard do nothing but ruin the game play and they can definitely fuck off. 

Something that to me is almost as big an issue as the Dead Eye cards is the explosive ammo. Thankfully,  I rarely encounter it as people don't want to waste that ammo in showdowns and most of the aggressive players in free roam are lower level. But when I finally do it's a fucking pain in the ass. If the shot doesn't outright kill you, it will force you to the ground. Nothing you can do. A simple body shot. All skill is taken out. And as most high level players need to ride in groups, it's always at least two players so they have twice the shit ammo making it insanely unbalanced. Only comfort is that there's a reason why they have to resort to that. 

Just had to rant about that. Hopefully, we'll see the playlist function added so we can control the lobby and add rules about ability cards and ammo. Maybe we can even some crews we can trust to follow simple rules.

Good point.  I agree and I guess when I was complaining about the cards in my mind it really was just the dead eye cards.  The others are not as game breaking.

I would be all for a playlist rule saying no dead eye just as we have no lester, BPH etc.

Edited by pete2581
  • Like 2

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497