Drama Series

revbouncer

Gday, just a thread to discuss your fav dramas on the box. Or to suggest good ones for others to suss out for themselves.

I find it hard to watch them each week when they're playing on tv so I like to watch a series on my pc so I never miss an episode of what I like.

Taste comes into it a lot and what some like, there will be others who don't like the same thing so bare that in mind.

I never watched the X-Files when it was running back in the 90's. I saw the odd episode and as a result had no idea of the story line.

A few months ago I watched the whole series from start to finish. 10 seasons of it and it was awesome. 9/10 (nothing's perfect) (Alien conspiracy)

Others that I have recently watched are Game Of Thrones 9/10 (Dragons and shit, lots of death!)

Breaking Bad 9/10 Thanks to @LN-MLB for the reference to that series. (Meth dealers)

The 100  7/10 (Apocalypse survivors from a space station)

The Messengers 7/10 (Biblical)

Wentworth  7/10 (Prison)

Orange Is The New Black  5/10 (Prison)

The Walking Dead 9/10 (Zombies..slow moving)

Fear The Walking Dead 9/10 (Spin off- Zombies..slow moving)

You, Me and The Apocalypse 9/10 (Comet hits Earth)

Thanks to @Xyon14 I've just started watching Z-Nation 8/10 (Zombies- fast ones!)

Also just started watching Sleepy Hollow  8/10, (Biblical)

But it's taken a back seat atm until I'm done with Z-Nation.

If there's any good dramas that you recommend feel free to share them.

Also feel free to ask Q's about any series. Try not to 'spoil' a series by in depth discussions as people may like to watch one of them and don't want to know what happens.

So basically post the series name, your rating out of 10 and some slight description if you feel necessary.

Edited by revbouncer
  • Like 2

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• revbouncer

• Xyon14

• Squirrel

• Pen0sIRE

Seems like we have similar interest in TV series, @revbouncer. I've not long ago finished watching several of those, most recently, Breaking Bad. I'd seen bits of it while someone else was watching it a few years ago, and I'm glad I finally watched it all. Very good series.

I've started downloading X-Files which I also never seen during the '90s (because I was still a kid). I'll come back here to let you know what I think :)

I don't really have anything else to add just yet, but if I see anything, I'll post it here.

• Like 1

I can recommend House of Cards (politics). Brilliant drama.

Also, Person of Interest (Super intelligent AI and how to deal with it)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I can recommend House of Cards (politics). Brilliant drama.

Also, Person of Interest (Super intelligent AI and how to deal with it)

Yes I agree House of Cards is very good too. 8/10

I think I'll add person of interest to my watch next list. Thanks @Fido_le_muet

Haven't really been into dramas last few years, except GoT and Shameless (US). Oh and the first season of True Detective. Dexter is also a series I've watched during last few years. I've also binge watched Orange is the new black (and Wentworth, but I think I've only managed 2 seasons so far). Narcos from Netflix wasnt bad either.

Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, ... those were one of my favourites. Going even further back, Northern Exposures, brilliant show in wonderful settings in Alaska. :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zmurko said:

Haven't really been into dramas last few years, except GoT and Shameless (US). 

What you need to watch is Shameless (UK)... Far superior to the US version.  I'd watched the full UK series and struggled watching the US version, even though I love William H Macy.

Vikings 9/10 (Viking history based around the legend of Ragnar Lothbrok and his sons)

Black Sails 9/10 (Treasure Island prequel based on real life events around Nassau)

Outlander 8/10 (Scottish history based around the events leading upto the battle of Culloden)

All three shows are fictional drama based on historical events. Great for the history fans although Outlander is more for the girls than the guys but it's worth a watch if you like Scottish history or British warfare. Black sails is a must if you like pirates, also the same world as Assassins Creed Black Flag. Vikings is almost as good as GoT in terms of drama and battle scenes plus it's based on real life events.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

Vikings 9/10 (Viking history based around the legend of Ragnar Lothbrok and his sons)

Black Sails 9/10 (Treasure Island prequel based on real life events around Nassau)

Outlander 8/10 (Scottish history based around the events leading upto the battle of Culloden)

All three shows are fictional drama based on historical events. Great for the history fans although Outlander is more for the girls than the guys but it's worth a watch if you like Scottish history or British warfare. Black sails is a must if you like pirates, also the same world as Assassins Creed Black Flag. Vikings is almost as good as GoT in terms of drama and battle scenes plus it's based on real life events.

Thanks Squirrel

I loved the X-files back when it first came out, but I did stop watching it at some point. I can't remember exactly why but after Mulder left it never seemed the same.

There's been some great historical series on the BBC over the last year or so. I don't know if they are available outside the UK.

The Last Kingdom - based on books by Bernard Cornwell (more famous for Sharpe) , it's set in what would become England in the 8th(?) century at the time of King Alfred fighting Viking invaders. Lots of fighting.

Wolf Hall - Set at the time of Henry VIII. The main character is Thomas Cromwell who rose from basically being a peasant to one of the most powerful advisors to the King. Totally different sort of drama to the the above, very political.

Versailles - this has only just started on the BBC but I think was shown last year in America and France. 17th century France about King Louis XIV and the palace of Versailles.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, djw180 said:

Versailles - this has only just started on the BBC but I think was shown last year in America and France. 17th century France about King Louis XIV and the palace of Versailles.

What night is it on? I am looking forward to that. How many missed episodes in?

The new series of Poldark  was really good to. Its a period drama. Its only one series so far.

Edited by Xyon14
Clearly need help with grammer before my coffee. I'm a numpty.

16 minutes ago, djw180 said:

The Last Kingdom - based on books by Bernard Cornwell (more famous for Sharpe) , it's set in what would become England in the 8th(?) century at the time of King Alfred fighting Viking invaders. Lots of fighting.

Nice, I didn't know they had made this into a series. Liked those books, definitely a rival for Vikings though.

Everyone needs to watch Sharpe though. Get to see Yorkshires finest in action.

23 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Nice, I didn't know they had made this into a series. Liked those books, definitely a rival for Vikings though.

Everyone needs to watch Sharpe though. Get to see Yorkshires finest in action.

Last Kingdom was on earlier in the year, Saturday nights so you were probably out. It covered the first 2 books I think. Seemed to be successful so I hope they continue with the rest (I've read them all). I've never seen much of Sharpe but do see the occasional episode on one of the cable channels. My wife likes it as she's a big fan of Sean Bean. She met him once when he was filming here (that football film he was in), he bought her 1/2 a lager but she'd asked for a Gin & Tonic.

23 hours ago, Xyon14 said:

What night is it on? I am looking forward to that. How many missed episodes in?

Wednesdays, BBC2 10pm. 2 episodes so far both still on iplayer.  We watch on Saturdays after Musketeers so that's become something of a French night for us.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

I stopped watching mainstream TV long ago. Only watch decent TV shows in bulk apart from epic series like GoT etc. 99% of programs on TV are complete garbage, it's definitely been proven that the more channels we have then the quality of show has been reduced. 

• Like 1

I  can recommend The Killing (Danish) & The Bridge. Even if you don't like Nordic Noir, these are fast-paced and will hook you in.

I also agree with the first series of True Detective, absolutely superb

• Like 1

u0rf6Cd.jpg

I've tried the first couple of episodes of the Last Kingdom. It seems to be very loosely based on the books. So far they have missed tons of the character development and getting basic facts wrong which is shocking as the books were written by someone who tried to keep to the history as much as possible. The first episode is actually set in my home town yet the first battle in Eforwic (Modern day York) couldn't be further from the truth in terms of terrain. York and the surrounding area is flat as a pancake for miles and miles and yet they managed to find a hill. 

Not the first time the BBC get basic things wrong. I know it's a small detail but stuff like that annoys me. 

• Like 1

I had a look at a cpl of other Zombie series. IZombie being 1. I didn't last very long into episode 1 of this. 

Helix. Seemed ok, will look further into it a some other point.

I have started to watch Extant. I'm up to episode 4. It has my interest at this point :)

Fargo is my favorite show on TV, it's fantastic and really delivers. Brilliant performances from everyone involved. Worth a watch if you like cerebral/crime dark comedies. Or any of the coen Bros movies

• Like 1

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.