Gameplay Tips

JustHatched

I suck at PvP and most likely always will. Still, I have fun and that is all that matters to me.

On topic, some very good info in this thread. Thanks

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prodigy_Rocks_

• DavidCore89

• JustHatched

• Muskidinho04

Topic: Tips for marksman rifle

Ok the gun is an overused weapon as low ranks gets easy access to it, and also it's been criticized for being OP or something like that.

Enough of that, let's look for some tips on how to use it effectively. (By the way I suck with it but started liking it a bit more and more.)

Strafe while shooting: Common knowledge with this weapon but here are some pointers before I go over the mistakes

-aim for the body (Heads are small at range but it's kind of ok to go for heads at mid range, but mostly go for the body as it's a larger

target)

-move (Don't be stationary because you're a sitting duck to other players)

-spam (just shoot, the reload isn't that long but keep your crosshair on point)

Mistakes:

-avoid moving the crosshair while moving (It throws your accuracy off as you're paying more attention to getting on point while in truth

it doing you bad than good, maybe that's why you notice your shots not hitting)

-repetitive rolling (Rolling throws your scope off when you try to ADS again, try limiting it to maybe once every 5 seconds or

when you're taking lots of bullets out of auto lock range)

-head at range (Like I said, the heads small at range. Since you don't have a zoom in option, you're better off body

shoting someone)

Misc:

-If you don't like the scope design like me because it small annoys your eyes, try "modifying A or B"

Modifying A: essentially you just take some scotch tape, use a marker that is noticeable to your eyes and draw a perscise line through

the middle of the tape. Then you tape it on the TV in a precise hip fire formation (more info by looking up BF4 hip fire

crosshair). It should make it easier for general target accquistion.

Modifying B: This is like "modifying A" but it revolves around customizing the crosshair. Draw a 360 circle using a needle-compass

that's about 1cm apart from the centre on a piece of scotch tape. It should look like a ring with a dot (crosshair in the

middle)

-Not sure if this is considered cheating to you guys but I haven't used this to my advantage. If you guys are ok with that, let me know but I feel like someone's gonna say that it's a cheap technique.-

-suppressor (I feel like it lowers your bullet velocity so I don't equip it, your opinion but I'm staying with unsurpressed)

-reason- It took like 9 bullets from my special carbine to kill a cop via body shots and it was surpressed.

Where as the unsurpressed version took around 5 to kill.

More tips on the way.

-edit- sorry if this format hurts your eyes, I've tried to separate some by space but it ended up becoming something I didn't like via visualizing. Next time I'll use BBCode.

Edited by Prodigy_Rocks_
  • Like 1

A quadratic function can be written in vertex form:

f(x) = a( x-h )^2 + k          *^2 means squared*

The vertex form is helpful because it tells you the location of the vertex (h,k); (x,y)

^^ On PS4 there are 2 aim types and one of them already has the circle around the crosshairs. Not only that but the crosshair can be made bigger or smaller.

Putting sticky tape on your TV is just a crazy act of desperation IMO, some people pay £1000+ for a TV and I'm sure sticky tape is one of the last things they'll put on it.

• Like 4

This might sound a bit soft, but the first thing I did to improve was to watch the H2H clips that DC, G and Scotty put up of their TDM. Before joining this crew I'd played in three total deathmatches and that was by mistake so it was definitely a baptism by fire.

In fact I remember my first playlist G touched me up to the tune of 34 to 7. Now I'm much better and it's more like 30 - 9.

I'd never thought of learning to roll, or tactics like reading the mini map but just by watching what they did gave me some good insight into actual tactics.

• Like 1

Jag's Combat Gameplay Tips:

- Yell, "Don't shoot, I'm a girl."

- Yell, "Timeout!  I'm reloading." whenever you forgot to reload and someone is shooting at you.

- Apologize when you kill someone.

- ????

- Complain because LN didn't die after having 200 bullets unloaded into his head.

- Call your friend's "hackers" out of love.

• Like 5

Jag's Combat Gameplay Tips:

- Yell, "Don't shoot, I'm a girl."

- Yell, "Timeout!  I'm reloading." whenever you forgot to reload and someone is shooting at you.

- Apologize when you kill someone.

- ????

- Complain because LN didn't die after having 200 bullets unloaded into his head.

- Call your friend's "hackers" out of love.

I've tried all of these, they just don't work...

• Like 3

Dodgeservice.png

^^ On PS4 there are 2 aim types and one of them already has the circle around the crosshairs. Not only that but the crosshair can be made bigger or smaller.

Putting sticky tape on your TV is just a crazy act of desperation IMO, some people pay £1000+ for a TV and I'm sure sticky tape is one of the last things they'll put on it.

That's for people who just don't like the scope design "for the marksman rifle". The reason I mentioned this is because even if you change your crosshair, it won't change the crosshair design on the scope, that's if you were referring to the reticle for every other weapon that aims down sights besides the snipers.

From my experience, it's doesn't agree with me with the added fact that there's a bunch of cosmetic design that doesn't do anything like the arrows. I mean it helps a bit and acts as a hit marker but it kind of distracts me from the small dot.

They should of added a colour blind system where you change change the colour of the crosshairs. Way better than the "modify" techniques. Because you don't have to peel it off every time or to take the time to make a new one, potentially leaving scratches and sticky glue on your screen. I would of been running around with a green reticle for the marksman rifle.

The vertex form is helpful because it tells you the location of the vertex (h,k); (x,y)

• 1 month later...

Here are a few deathmatch tips. I seem to instinctively do them but could never actually work out step by step (or never really thought about it) what I actually do.

1. If you're in the open and being shot, but don't know where from, roll (this should be a natural reaction). After that, look at the mini map and you should see the enemies blip lit up since they have shot. As you're rolling, spin the camera to face toward their direction and once you get up you should be close enough to lock on and get the kill. You will still be at a disadvantage since they got the drop on you, but if you can get the headshot and they missed you, then you should win.

That's a lot of things to do in a couple of seconds but if you consciously think about it and practice it, it should become second nature pretty quick.

2. If you're in the open and are being shot by an enemy in front of you and you start a rolling war, are low on health and about to loose, or if there are multiple enemies attacking you, look for cover or obstacles to get behind and block your line of sight. You do this by rolling in the direction of the cover. When you get up you can either run and wait until you get hit before rolling again, or you can shoot back (mostly as cover fire so that they roll and aren't shooting you more, but a kill is always a bonus). It may take several rolls to get out of harms way, but once you are behind cover you can either wait for back up, wait for your health to regenerate or look for a way to get away from them.

These are things that I have learnt to do naturally now and they usually work pretty well. Depending who you are up against, it certainly doesn't work all the time, but its better than spraying and praying or being a sitting duck. 

• Like 2

scottyb1988.jpg

Last night I finally got a little feel for the "headshot stick-flick" For the longest time I've been under doing it but last night I "got it" a few times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Teamwork:

Have you ever joined a random TDM? Have you ever noticed that each player operate individually and that it ended up giving the enemies the advantage some of the time? Try working as one; try becoming a "support" player for your team. I mean gta isn't geared towards teamwork but the concept exsist.

Some tips:

- contribute to an ally's fight

Meaning you help your ally deal with an enemy and it doesn't matter if whom you're fighting is good or bad, two guns are better than one. You may not know the struggle for your ally when he/she is fighting so treat all situations as serious.

- flank

Your team may be congregated in one area or having trouble holding off a group of enemies, it's your chance to get the flank and distract the enemies and maybe snag a few kills. I can't tell you how much it helps as even if you die, it'll be enough to act as a distraction (enemies are dispersed or occupied by your actions)

- move in pairs or more

Like the first tip, but you're with another player- two guns are better than one. I don't care weather you're with a random, or a player you know. It doesn't matter weather if they get pissed by your presence or accepting, it helps in the long run

-covering fire

Your team needs to expand and not congregated as you're all vulnerable to explosives, gang ups, etc. When someone or a few players are making a push in your line of sight, give them cover fire

(shoot at anyone that's shooting them or hold down R2 while in cover to intimidate the enemies)

-listen to your allies with mics

They may give directions or hint that they are under fire and you can use that to your advantage to prepare for incoming foes

Source:

The app, Walking War Robots

-I see it as team effort game and I've had times where I assisted a random in taking out an armoured robot while suffering little casualties

• Like 2

Good tips Prodigy. I do all of those but have been doing the first tip more lately.

When a TDM starts or when I respawn, I look for the closet team member and shadow them. I go after whatever target they are going for.

I offer cover fire when they move. If I die near a teammate usually they will get a kill because I've drawn the enemy out of cover.

2 guns are better than one but you need 3 or more for LN. ;)

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

As a long time MMO player and PvPer, I have a small bit of advice that really  helped me once I realized it:

Don't get upset or frustrated when another player kills you.  Keep your cool, it's not a big deal and there's very little penalty for getting killed in GTA (especially in open lobbies).  The worst thing you can do is get pissed off or start chewing someone out over voice chat.  It doesn't help, it'll just ruin your concentration and/or get you laughed at.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Melee Rush Attack Spam

A deadly consecutive attack best done with fist or brass knuckle that uses lag against the enemy player. 

1. Face your enemy (method only works on players)
  2. Spam "X" and keep spamming it as if you're running
  3. Tap "R2". You're character should be doing the running attack animation
  4. Repeat

What you're doing is constantly attacking your enemy with the running attack animation which is consecutive and creates little reaction time for the enemy. Where the lag comes in is on your enemy's screen. It may look like they're taking damage constantly even though the amount of times they're hit might not match up with the animation. As a result, they'll have a hard time dodging.

If you don't like using lag to gain an advantage, then it's totally your decision not to use this method, but the melee system is pretty much laggy anyways (not sure if this isn't the case for PS4, but it's the case for PS3). Even if players chose to use some fancy method to take out their enemies or fight such as holding down "R2" to lock on and "L2" to punch, lag is going to be present anyways. 

Quick-Scoping 

Not an efficient way to take out an enemy player but it's gratifying if you do. Best to practice on the LSPD cops and raise the mortality rate.

1. Take out a sniper rifle (heavy sniper is the recommended)
  2. Hold down "R2" half way
  3. Now aim the crosshair slightly to the right
  4. Now aim down sights ("L2"). Your crosshair should be aimed at your target as soon as you aim down sights
  5. Fire and hope it hits

How to use the Grenade Launcher

Trajectory. That's the name of the game. Angles and arcs are what defines the grenade launcher apart from the rpg and possibly my favorite heavy weapon. It's hard to put it into steps as it varies in different situations.

Basically you want to be far from you enemy but not to the point where you have to use a sniper to hit your target. I recommend practicing on a open map such as Border Wars where not only is it an open map, but grande launchers spawn, thus saving you the need of setting it to "owned and pickups".

Now that you're relatively far from the enemy, you have to be facing their blip

Once you whip out the grenade launcher, you want to be holding down "R2" and move with "L3" if you have to (running and gunning)

Your standard degree of where you should be aiming is 45 degrees (90 degrees is straight up so 45 is half of that) where you have a balance in range and height

Fire away, making sure you account for the enemies movement by leading your shot if you have to as well as moving to or away from them if you went over or didn't quite reach them.

Like I said, I highly recommend Border Wars where you have range and an open map. (I hope to make a video someday of my way of utilizing the grenade launcher)

*Funny that I recall this, but the grenade launcher one of the factors made against me back when I was new to the crew where I was accused of "hacking"

How I use my Musket

There's a history of why I wanted to become good or decently good of an antique weapon. A month or two ago, I was called into a freeroam rampage by a friend on my friends. We rocked the lobby, and one of his friend challenged me to a 1v1... I lost. To either a Musket or the Marksman pistol. Deciding that even the most overlooked weapon can become the a useful weapon later down the line, I sought of ways to utilize the Musket. This is what I found.

1. Hold "R2" halfway
  2. Point you crosshair at your enemy
  3. Strafe to avoid fire, roll as well (don't tamper with the crosshair, use it like a dmr)
  4. Time your shot and fire

The Musket to me, feels like a dmr that relys on running and gunning. A two-shot body shot to players above rank 50 (based on what others said, may need to check again), it's not bad... This might sound like non sense so I'll leave it at that.

The Downside of Using a Close Range Weapon at Medium Range

*You can ignore this if you don't have a choice in a forced and pickups TDM or DM or any other pvp but this is meant to inform.

Inaccuracy: Fairly obvious if your using a Micro SMG past its lock on range all the way to its max range but weapons like these that are spray and pray will not always hit your targets at range. What you can do is close the distance. This will eliminate inaccuracy at range and shows where the weapon's strength lies.

Damage Drop Off: This isn't really noticeable until you go engage further (near its maximum auto lock range and past). You won't be doing as much damage as you are in close range. It has nothing to do with inaccurate shots, but more on the physics. Requiring 1-3 bullets more to take out your target... Well you'll be reloading often in mid-firefight and wondering why you sprayed a lot of bullets at your target only to notice in the kill cam that they have 1/3 remaining. It'll require even more shots if you're using a surpressed weapon because the suppressor reduces bullet velocity, which leads to less damage inflicted.

*The reason why I don't use suppressor so on my main weapons

Go For the More Powerful Weapons in "Forced + Pickups" ASAP

Obvious, yes, but if you can get your hands on a more powerful weapons such a AK 47 before the enemy team(s) and ditch the pistol, it can really give you the cutting edge in racking kills before your enemies start picking other powerful weapons.

Out-Combat Rolling Another Player

*It's hard and unpredictable if lag is present

Often a player will roll-natural instincts. What you want to do is wait for them to roll first before executing your roll, I recommend doing so when they're halfway. Simply letting your character walk for a second or two when they're halfway and executing your combat roll, is a good method. 

**Tried doing this method many times, but the lag makes it hard for me to practice this habit since I could be taking damage before they even finish**

Edit: Sorry that some of the text are black, when typing my texts are black so when I selected "automatic", I didn't realize that the text wouldn't be changed to white when I was done. Can't change it now since I'd have to erase them to redo it.

Edited by Prodigy_Rocks_