[With Spoilers!] The Force Awakens, what did you think?

MrBump360

I thought it was awesome to be honest...

ok you can make a case for the plot being basically a remake for large parts, but what the hell.

for me the new Characters were really good, but Han and Chewy stole the show. Harrison Ford was head an shoulders above anyone else.

And yeah, it was kinda obvious wasn't it that he wouldn't make it?

Mark Hamil.... just managed to sneak into the Credits? what a performance lol.

Can pick some holes in the film, but I loved it anyway, Episode I-III can now be laid to rest, we have a worthy follower at last :-)

May the force be with you!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fido_le_muet

• MrBump360

• Squirrel

• BMSTANG

Loved it !

I agree that a parallel can be made with ep 4 but whatever, it's very good anyway.

Way less green screens. Feels closer to 4 5 6 than to 1 2 3.

No Jar Jar like crap, THANK YOU! I think maybe they realised that most of the fan base hated Jar Jar hehe :-)

Yeah I meant ep4 with the remake comment.

Can't wait for the next one now...damnit...

I will watch EP VII again next week :-)

I really liked the movie and the new characters. Rey is my favorite, she is awesome.

There are similarities to ep IV, but I also got the sense that this whole episode was one huge challenge for whoever can find Luke Skywalker. I'm guessing ep VIII will be about Luke teaching Rey to become a Jedi.

Fun movie, can't wait to see it again.

• Like 1

I felt like I was watching the other films all wrapped into one. The girl who was strong with the force and was good with machines. That reminded me a whole lot of Anakin. The whole father and child drama was the exact same story as Luke and Vader. On top of all that. When they destroyed the planet that had a huge death ray, which was the same damn thing as the death star. And then they go in to focus on one spot after destroying the shields. Yep, seen it before. 

• Like 1

Yeah but everything was more polished, more beautiful, more in depth. It was more !

The new characters stole the show. Rey is an instant favorite, Finn is very interesting as well, although they could have explained his turn to the resistance with maybe a bit of backstory. Why did he turn and not some other troopers ?

Kylo Ren is also a more interesting villain than Vader was. You can feel the multiple facets of his character. He has an identity crisis, he's lost, he idolazes his grandpa, he's definitely crazy at times, he's angry, he's smart, he's vicious...

I was certain one of the old cast members would go. My bet was on Chewy before the movie but as soon as I saw Hann going on that Bridge, I knew he was done.

I'm still mixed about his death, it really hurt me. I wasn't the only one considering the silence in the theater. Very strange after all the applause when the title screen came on and when Han & Chewy entered the Falcon.

A bit disappointed about Leia's reaction to Han's death. They all come back from the mission, they all exit the Falcon, Leia is there waiting but when Han is not there, she almost has no reaction. The worst part was Chewy walking past her without a look ! I think a big crying scene was missing there. And I'm sure JJ Abrams would have made a good scene there, not a cliché one.

Oh well, I still had a blast. Probably one of the best experience I had in the cinema in the past decade. I can't stop thinking about this movie. I absolutely loved it !

I spend my day singing Star Wars themes and looking at BB-8 pictures :lol:

I think I'm crazy :)

Edited by Fido_le_jedi
  • Like 1

I felt like I was watching the other films all wrapped into one. The girl who was strong with the force and was good with machines. That reminded me a whole lot of Anakin. The whole father and child drama was the exact same story as Luke and Vader. On top of all that. When they destroyed the planet that had a huge death ray, which was the same damn thing as the death star. And then they go in to focus on one spot after destroying the shields. Yep, seen it before. 

well, they are all related, so yes they have simular traits. We learned early on that the force can amplify your abilities if channeled. For me that was what they were trying to show, she has the ability plus a gift for it, a little more than intuition, thats the force at work.

The father son thing, yeah ok.... the bigger death star type thing, yeah ok. Particularly the killer planet they poke fun at themselves in the film that it's kinda familiar "these things always have a weakness right" says Solo.

A bit disappointed about Leia's reaction to Han's death. They all come back from the mission, they all exit the Falcon, Leia is there waiting but when Han is not there, she almost has no reaction. The worst part was Chewy walking past her without a look ! I think a big crying scene was missing there.

Well Leia knew that Han was gone already, she had her moment in the command center when she felt his death. Tears all round.

I thought by halfway through the film that there was no way Han could survive, he's not getting any younger you know and he does kinda put himself in danger a lot. When they were placing the charges and he split from Chewy I was just waiting for his death scene, yeah as soon as he saw his son it was obvious that he was done for, Made me sad too, that's Han Solo damnit!

• Like 2

Well Leia knew that Han was gone already, she had her moment in the command center when she felt his death. Tears all round.

I thought by halfway through the film that there was no way Han could survive, he's not getting any younger you know and he does kinda put himself in danger a lot. When they were placing the charges and he split from Chewy I was just waiting for his death scene, yeah as soon as he saw his son it was obvious that he was done for, Made me sad too, that's Han Solo damnit!

Ah right, I forgot about that Leia scene in the command center.

Scratch my comment above then. Still disappointed by how Chewy ignored her :lol:

I had a similar feeling when Chewy and Hann split up. But I still believed Chewy would go. Until the bridge...

• Like 1

I loved the movie. Looking forward to the next couple of episodes and the upcoming spinoffs. I'm still wondering who Snoke is. Is he similar to that of Palpatine?

I seen this last night and have a mixed opinion.

The plot was too much like A New Hope which bothered me because it wasnt original enough. I did enjoy it, but at times it felt like a HD remake of A New Hope.

The graphics were amazing. I watched it in 3D and often felt like I was really there. Ive never taken notice of so many details in the past. Like the Storm Trooper's uniforms and guns, etc. It looked so realistic.

There are a few things that I suspect are/were meant to be suspenseful or revealed in a later movie. I found most of those to be very predictable, so can only hope that future movies prove my other predictions wrong.

Im not much of a movie critic, but I give this a 7.5/10.

Edited by Skorpion

Just saw it tonight. Great movie! Must see on the big screen.

What I didn't understand was why giant Mr. Smiegle rules the Empire?

Yeah I didn't like Gollum much either.... I blanked him out hehe.

He's the boss of the first order, we will problably find out more background next episode I would have thought when he has to fix up Rhen.... and prediction, Rhen will be in a very Darth Vader like suit after the injuries he sustained fighting Rey.

Finally can enter this thread. Like Wulf I was feeling a bit deflated. It was missing something and we were talking after the film and suddenly it hit me. It's missing the Lucas bad directing and cheese. It was all too polished and perfect. I'm planning on going to see it again tomorrow night so will be giving it a more critical viewing.

I'll probably go for the 2D showing this time. 3D didn't really make much difference.

I also think it's a mistake killing off the only original cast member who could act. And what was the point of Mark Hamils role. I bet he still struggled with his script though.

• Like 2

They couldn't kill Luke because he's Luke and killing Leia couldn't have had a big impact.

Killing Han was the right move IMO, considering it's by his son's hand.

Who cared about 3PO ?

He's cool and funny but a bit annoying at times.

His death wouldn't have a big impact as well.

I loved the new characters though. Grey and BB-8 are instant favorites IMO.

And was it Han's death that was spoiled by that onlin hotty? :P

A bit disappointed about Leia's reaction to Han's death. They all come back from the mission, they all exit the Falcon, Leia is there waiting but when Han is not there, she almost has no reaction...

She probably did try to react but her face was so full of botox that it didn't move.

• Like 1

I think Harrison ford might have pushed for his demise from the Saga tbh. I would have loved to see him stay as well. Mark Hamil was awesome, forget his lines? ROFL haha

So.......I'll start by saying I had no intention of going to see this film, I loved the original trilogy as a kid but was not sucked into the hype-vortex for this episode (hell, I haven't even seen I, II or III). The only thing I really knew about it was that Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia were in it and that JJ Abrams was directing.

I hadn't (and still haven't) read any reviews, but knew from word of mouth it was a pretty good film in it's own right (Star Wars or not) and JJ Abrams is a director whose work I generally like.

My eldest daughter, who is 13, suggested we should go and see it, I said we can just wait for the bluray........then I remembered how awesome the original 3 were for me as a kid, on the big screen. I wanted her to feel the same, but wondered if that's even possible in this era of superHD CGI.

Anyway......TL:DR.......

we went to see it tonight. It's fucking awesome!

• Like 3

Anyway......TL:DR.......

we went to see it tonight. It's fucking awesome!

Right ? RIGHT ?!

I loved it as well.

I'm too young (;)) to have seen Ep IV, V, VI when they were released but I'm sure your daughter will remember this movie and that it will define her very existence for the rest of her life ! #exageration

• Like 1

Nothing will ever beat seeing Star wars as a kid in the theatre. Especially when Darth Vader makes his appearance. 

Yes the latest movie was a bit too much like the original plot wise, but the force is passed on through family and having Ren with Vader his Grandfather and Leia his mother as the bad guy kinda fit perfect. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was sad when Han died. Yes we all could see it coming, but having 'known' him for most of my life and the fact he's a great character left me feeling a bit down. It's a real shame that Lukes role was so small. I was waiting for him to somehow come to the rescue and make some heroic appearance to save the day, but that never happened. 

I loved it though. It took me back to my childhood.

ps I did think when I was a kid that we'd be a bit closer to flying Jetson like cars or Star Wars speeders around as a means of transport by now. A bit disappointed that hasn't come into fruition. lol

Edited by revbouncer
  • Like 3