I have a job interview tomorrow (Tuesday) Any advice?

CandyRotten

I've never been much good at interviews. I get too nervous and I never answer questions right.

The job is at a local store of mine, for British people its Wilkinsons. I'm not sure if its world wide company. I guess I should find out so I'm prepared ha ha. The location is perfect and the hours are perfect. I know I'm capable of the job but I never seem to be able to prove it at the interview.

Does anyone have a tips that might help me? I appreciate any help Thanks

• Like 1

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold B to the Rian, all that matters is you beat the leprechauns"   - Stewie Griffin

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CandyRotten

• Squirrel

• StressEater

• nicolabellamy77

Magic tricks and cake would go a long way to impressing me.

On a serious note, just be yourself and don't over think it too much because that'll lead to more nerves. You've already said you're capable of doing the job, so try to take that kinda self-assured attitude with you.

Those stores are always full of customers who need help finding the shampoo, you'll be no use to them nervous!

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

I will be. I'm hoping the interview is more of demonstrating than answering questions ha ha

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold B to the Rian, all that matters is you beat the leprechauns"   - Stewie Griffin

Just be yourself, polite&friendly, same as they probably expect their employess to be towards their customers.

Perhaps prepare few answers for those cliche (?) question, like why do you want to work here, blah blah. Never really understood what do they get out of them though.

At least do a little research on the company/store, so you know what they sell, where they sell, etc. It shows you've come prepared and are serious about the job.

It's akward if you don't really know anything about the company where you're applying for the job. :lol:

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm too worried about some of the questions like why do I want to work their etc as I pretty much said that on my application form. I'm more worried about how I come across I'm not very confidant and I don't stand out much.

Change your mind set - instead of thinking they're interviewing you, think you're interviewing them.

Are they going to treat you well enough? What staff benefits do they give? Promotion opportunities? Holidays? Fair contract and shift pattern?

In an ideal world we would cherry pick where we want to work and for how much. Not the other way around.

Go in thinking you've already got the job but you need to check you want to work for them. Your confidence will shine with this attitude.

Also dress smart and give a firm handshake. Wilkinsons will be privileged to have you on their team!

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for the good advice.

if they ask stupid questions just slap them haha, you will be alright tho try not to stress out about it, things are never as bad as you think they are

nicolabellamy77.png

Rather answer "i don't know " than ramble something just to try to impress.

Don't be overconfident or assume that you know what it taket to do the job, be humble, interested and willing to learn.

If you can sell shampoo to DC I'd be very impressed (assuming in looks like his in game character in real life)

Which character? The white or black one? :lol:

Be prepared to answer stupid questions like:

Why do you want to work for us?

What makes you the right person for the job?

Make sure you ask questions, because it shows interest. Knowing a bit about the company could be worthwhile too. Ive been asked at every interview Ive every had to tell them what I know of the company. Ive been rejected for not having a decent enough answer to show that Im interested enough in the job to know about the company (like I need to know who the CEO of the supermarket chain is when Ill forget once I have the job because they dont micro-manage)

Its difficult, but be confident. No matter how you feel inside, show that you''re confident.

Good luck :)

if they ask stupid questions just slap them haha, you will be alright tho try not to stress out about it, things are never as bad as you think they are

I had a douche hand me his pen and tell me to sell it to him during an interview at Best Buy. I wanted to f*cking stab him in the neck with it...

Listen to Tiger. Change your mindset. They need you not vice versa. They're the ones that need to fill a position. Dont go in thinking you've got to have this job. Bone up on the company so you can incorporate that knowledge into your answers.

Don't be intimidated. They can't eat you. Unless you're being interviewed by a velociraptor. In that case, remember they hunt in packs.

• Like 2

UberL33tPwner69_XDBX_Sig.png

I had a douche hand me his pen and tell me to sell it to him during an interview at Best Buy. I wanted to f*cking stab him in the neck with it...

You could just quote Wolf of Wall St and then ask him to write down his name. You'd then have to ask him where the coke, ludes and hookers are. The chances of you getting the job after that are slim though.

• Like 3

Be confident.

They will also ask you, "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" type of questions too.  Anyone can write anything on paper.  So you will be asked similar questions to those on the application.  They may even ask you what your worst job was and why.  They like to see what gets under your skin.  It's retail though and all retail sucks.  You really don't have anything to worry about.  If you get the job, you just have to be nice to customers even though you would rather smack them.

Everyone has given good advice so far, but don't get too caught up in trying to remember it all. Just be yourself, with a little added enthusiasm (who really wants to go to work anyway? :P). Take comfort and confidence in knowing that you are able to easily do this job and more.

As tiger said, you're interviewing them as well. When I was younger, I never quite got it, but it's true. If the company didn't have any workers, it wouldn't be doing very well. You want to know that this job is suitable for you as much as they want to know you are right for them.

Good luck! (Not that you'll need it). I hope it all goes well for you! :)

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

Ha ha no problem beez. I hate when they ask stupid questions. I might try and dazzle them

When I worked for one of my previous companies, I used to handle the interviewing and hiring for my department.  We were given a list of acceptable questions to ask each potential candidate, but we were pretty understanding if someone couldn't come up with an answer right off the top of their head or things of that nature.  Out of all those candidates that I interviewed, I saw a lot of great ones, but some that I had to ask myself--"what were they thinking?"  I was interviewing one person who stopped me in mid-sentence during the interview and asked, "is this going to take very long?"  I've gone through applications where half the information was misspelled and I've seen people show up for interviews wearing club attire.  So, just some basic common sense goes a long way.

A lot of good information here thus far, but I agree--just be yourself, don't dwell on the notion of them NOT wanting to hire you--instead, think of them solely as WANTING to hire you.  Believe me though, some of the people who conduct the interviews are just as nervous as you are and we think a lot of those questions are ridiculous as well.  Just go in with a good attitude, a willingness to be open and learn, and if it helps, look up some common interviewing questions and practice interviewing with a friend.  I think you will do fine, if you think about it too much (from a what if I don't get hired perspective), you will end up stressing yourself out and it will show--I've been down that road and it doesn't do any good.  Just go in and think positively--don't be afraid to ask questions yourself.

Best of luck, but you sound like you really want this job, so I think all will work out just fine. :)

Edited by LN-MLB

Jazz hands obviously 

• Like 1

Or maybe the ymca

Edited by CandyRotten