I have a job interview tomorrow (Tuesday) Any advice?

CandyRotten

Thanks Ln-MLB

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold B to the Rian, all that matters is you beat the leprechauns"   - Stewie Griffin

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CandyRotten

• Squirrel

• StressEater

• nicolabellamy77

Well I went to the interview. Hopefully it went better than it went in my head. The interview didn't go as I thought. They didn't ask any questions about experience or skills I have. There were 13 of us altogether (not the only group as well) Hopefully I made a decent enough impression.

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold B to the Rian, all that matters is you beat the leprechauns"   - Stewie Griffin

I know I am a little late to the party but here are a few tips that will go a long way. The first thing you need to do is type in the company name followed by the words "interview questions" into google. Now you will have a list of the questions you will be asked in the interview. You can find the interview questions to almost every work place. If for some reason you can not find them, just look up the basic top 10 interview questions. They will be pretty much the same questions you will be asked just a different phrasing. Now get out a recording device, your phone will work. Ask yourself the questions and answer them the way you would at an interview. Now play it back, yes that is how stupid you sound. This is a hard lesson for many. It was for me. I realized how ridiculous I sounded. Now work on it until you sound polished. Also expect a few random questions that are not found online. I always add a couple to see if I can throw them for a loop and see how they react under pressure. Some examples would be: How many tennis balls can you fit in a limousine? This questions is to see how your brain works. If you tell me a million I am going to think your retarded. If you tell me one then I am going to think your playing it safe and in my line of work you have to take risks. Risk equals reward and we risk our lives to save a life, risk a life to save a life. Another one I ask is if you could be any animal in the world what would it be and why? I had someone tell me they would be an otter. When I asked why they said because otters put on a show. Then he asked me what animal I would be. I said shark. They asked why. I said because sharks eat otters. If you want some more surprise questions just let me know. I have a quite a few. Some of the key things are a firm and strong hand shake, eye contact, how well you are dressed, and vocabulary. I interviewed a kid that was amazing, probably the best candidate I have interview. I did not offer him the job just because he wore jeans to the interview. If you don't own a suit then go buy one. If you can not afford one go to the thrift store and buy one. There is so much more and I can not think of it right now. I will add more. However if you need someone to practice with send me a message and I will give you my number. I have mentored several people. Before becoming a Firefighter I work at a major retail store, I was in charge of staffing. I hired and fired over 400 people. 

Good advice. I have applied for a few more jobs so hopefully that will lead to more interviews

• Like 1

Well I went to the interview. Hopefully it went better than it went in my head. The interview didn't go as I thought. They didn't ask any questions about experience or skills I have. There were 13 of us altogether (not the only group as well) Hopefully I made a decent enough impression.

These group interviews can be tough. The last thing you want to do is steal other peoples answers but at the same time if someone uses yours before you get a chance to then you need to have something else as a back up. The key in a group interview is setting yourself apart from the rest of the candidates. The best way to do this is to have a story with each question. For example; Tell me about a time you exceeded another persons expectations? Now talk about a story in your life where you did something amazing for someone else. For me depending on the job, retail job, I would say say something along the lines of; I had a guest who can in 10 mins before the store closed and was franticly looking for windshield washer fluid. I could tell she was flustered and had no idea where to find what she was looking for. I walked up to her and said "Hello miss. Is there something I can help you find?" She then told me that she was looking for windshield washer fluid. I told her I would love to show her where it is located and walked her to the item. On our way to the item I asked her how her day was going. She then explained that she was from out of town and has never shopped at our store before. I knew this was a great opportunity to gain a new customer. I then found out that she had no idea where she was and has gotten lost because she was unable to see out her windows from the ice build up (we can get some rough winters in Michigan). I then got her the washer fluid. While I had one of my cashiers ring her up I printed off a map from the computer in the office. I then showed her how to get to where she was going and walked her out to her car so that I could put the fluid in her car for her. She was extremely happy and wrote a letter to the corporate office explaining how great our stores service was. 

The key is to tailor your answer to the type of business your applying to.

These group interviews can be tough. The last thing you want to do is steal other peoples answers but at the same time if someone uses yours before you get a chance to then you need to have something else as a back up. The key in a group interview is setting yourself apart from the rest of the candidates. The best way to do this is to have a story with each question. For example; Tell me about a time you exceeded another persons expectations? Now talk about a story in your life where you did something amazing for someone else. For me depending on the job, retail job, I would say say something along the lines of; I had a guest who can in 10 mins before the store closed and was franticly looking for windshield washer fluid. I could tell she was flustered and had no idea where to find what she was looking for. I walked up to her and said "Hello miss. Is there something I can help you find?" She then told me that she was looking for windshield washer fluid. I told her I would love to show her where it is located and walked her to the item. On our way to the item I asked her how her day was going. She then explained that she was from out of town and has never shopped at our store before. I knew this was a great opportunity to gain a new customer. I then found out that she had no idea where she was and has gotten lost because she was unable to see out her windows from the ice build up (we can get some rough winters in Michigan). I then got her the washer fluid. While I had one of my cashiers ring her up I printed off a map from the computer in the office. I then showed her how to get to where she was going and walked her out to her car so that I could put the fluid in her car for her. She was extremely happy and wrote a letter to the corporate office explaining how great our stores service was. 

The key is to tailor your answer to the type of business your applying to.

I had all my answers planned out in my head but the only questions were what makes a good store and a bad store. We also had to write down 4 truths and 1 lie about ourselves, read them out and everyone had to guess what the lie was. Then in groups we had to a build a house out of dried spaghetti sticks and marshmallows. That's a lot harder than it sounds

I did, similar for my last bar job, was a mass group interview we split into teams and had to make something unusual, it wasn't about what we actually made but they were watching how we worked together in a group.

I did, similar for my last bar job, was a mass group interview we split into teams and had to make something unusual, it wasn't about what we actually made but they were watching how we worked together in a group.

Well hopefully we worked better as a team than we did building the house. It collapsed

We did ok in our challenge. But we had myself as an experienced CAD engineer and a student civil engineer on the team so building something to catch a ball was easy with the material they gave us. Not everyone within our little group got the job though so it's not about winning or losing but the attitude you have when presented with a problem.

• Like 1

Hopefully all went well, but I detest group interviews. I admit that I once cancelled an interview when I found out it was in a group setting. I understand why they are done (seeing how well you would work with a team), but I prefer interviews to be one on one with no distractions.

What I really hate are the companies who use these ridiculous pre-screen tests before you're even considered for an interview. They'll ask you many of the same questions (slightly reworded) and put them on a scale of how much you agree or disagree. They will be things like:

I prefer being alone - Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral, Disagree, Strongly Disagree

or

I have never been upset with a co-worker - Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral, Disagree, Strongly Disagree

I just hate that kind of shit and it drives me insane.

Anyway, keep us posted on what happens. :)

Hopefully all went well, but I detest group interviews. I admit that I once cancelled an interview when I found out it was in a group setting. I understand why they are done (seeing how well you would work with a team), but I prefer interviews to be one on one with no distractions.

What I really hate are the companies who use these ridiculous pre-screen tests before you're even considered for an interview. They'll ask you many of the same questions (slightly reworded) and put them on a scale of how much you agree or disagree. They will be things like:

I prefer being alone - Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral, Disagree, Strongly Disagree

or

I have never been upset with a co-worker - Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral, Disagree, Strongly Disagree

I am the same way. I remember applying to a job online. I had to fill in all the info that is already on my resume. After an hour of filling it out I get to the end and it tells me I need to upload a resume. Are you kidding me? What was the point of giving you all the same information twice. With that same application I was then directed to an questionnaire. It took me just over 2 hours to answer 250 of those agree/ disagree questions, another 100 common sense questions like; If you are driving west and you take two rights and a left, what direction are you going? And then there was 100 math based questions as well. Took me a total of about 3 hours just to apply for one job. 

• Like 1

or

That was on a application form recently. I never understood why they include them when it's so easy to lie on it

One of the questions I received while applying for the Fire Department; You live across the street from your Battalion Chief. This weekend you know he will be out of town at a conference for the up and coming changes to the way we do CPR. When the weekend comes you notice out your front picture window that your Captain is over at his house. You are without a doubt, 100% sure your Captain is having an affair with your Battalion Chiefs wife. What do you do?

The question was probably one of the easiest ones I have received but for some reason everyone else in the group interview failed it. One thing you should know is how to read people. I watched the faces on the board change as they gave their answers.